Thread: Davis Vision

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis Vision

Yup, it's that time of year to wax poetic on everyone's favorite managed care plan.

I work at a clinic that's part of a group practice (~15 locations within a 100 mile radius) and the location I manage is one of only two clinics in our county that contracts with Davis Vision.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse about issues that have already been explored ad nauseam - our practice seemed to notice a legitimate improvement with the advent of the San Antonio lab - but things have regressed to prior levels of suckitude with the beginning of this calendar year. We've seen nearly a 40% failure rate on all jobs from their lab (excess prism, not making the correct style of lens, data entry errors, etc.) and in trying to communicate optical details with their woefully inept CSRs, it's like I'm explaining what colors are to someone who has never seen before.

Within our group practice, we do have our own full-service surfacing lab, but under the Davis Vision contract (for those who don't know) we must use their lab in beautiful San Antone to process our Davis Vision jobs. I've been barking up the tree trying to get our lab credentialed with Davis but they're insisting that "there's only about a half-dozen states that have passed legislation allowing their Davis Vision providers to use their own labs" (quote lifted from a conversation I had this morning with a Davis CSR) and the skeptic in me wonders if this is all a bunch of ull****bay. I mean, are things bad enough that legislation must be passed at the state level in order to exclude one's self from the gripping tyranny and ineptitude of Davis Vision© labs? Are there any providers in Oregon (aka 'South South Washington' and one of the handful of states that can use their own lab for Davis Vision jobs) that have experience in being able to use their own lab?

In addition to poor lab performance and frustrating customer service, I'm pretty sure the Davis PAL formulary hasn't been updated since 1997.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm convinced at this point that with the amount of government employees I see in my office who have Davis, (Including the DOJ) that Davis Vision is really government owned and maybe that's why their employees don't give two you know whats about the service they provide. Now that you mention this stat legislation stuff, its a tad more apparent.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Thread Information