Thread: PAL-ID Instruments

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PAL-ID Instruments

Hey, all. My office is going to be purchasing a PAL-ID instrument, and have tasked me with researching the different options that are available. I've found three so far: the Essilor PAL-ID, the Hilco PAL Identifier, and the OptiSource Lens Inspection Station. I did a couple searches on OptiBoard as well, and all that turned up was the Essilor instrument and a few outdated and non-existent links from 10+ years ago.

Anyone know of any others that currently exist on the market? Links to pages for purchasing details would be very helpful. Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide info!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really dislike the Essilor one. I haven't used the Hilco one but I absolutely love the OptiSource one. The weird green light in the Essilor is definitely not easy on the eyes and I can struggle to find the markings. Never any issue with the OptiSource, plus is has the extra light for final inspection, so you can check for scratches.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good information to know! Thank you for providing that.

WRT the OptiSource instrument, from the images I've seen, it looks like the magnification lenses and consequently the viewing area through them is much smaller when compared to the other instruments. Is this true? Also, if the OptiSource instrument does not have a green light, what color is the PAL ID's light?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have always found it very easy to see majority of PAL identifying marks with the naked eye while holding the glasses/lens up towards a ceiling light at a particular angle. Pair that with the online free version of the ever so helpful Progressive Identifier book and its all free.

To chime in on actual PAL Indentifier tools, I have ever used the Essilor version with the magnifying glass over the green back light. I have never been a fan of this instrument, even my first year in the optical lab I unplugged that thing and put it in a cabinet somewhere to clear space. So I guess don't get that one.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    Hey, all. My office is going to be purchasing a PAL-ID instrument, and have tasked me with researching the different options that are available. I've found three so far: the Essilor PAL-ID, the Hilco PAL Identifier, and the OptiSource Lens Inspection Station. I did a couple searches on OptiBoard as well, and all that turned up was the Essilor instrument and a few outdated and non-existent links from 10+ years ago.

Anyone know of any others that currently exist on the market? Links to pages for purchasing details would be very helpful. Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide info!
    We sell them go to www.superoptica.com Mention you are an Optiboard member and get a 20% discount

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the info, Don!

I'm assuming you meant www.superoptical.com here, because the link you have leads to a random website advertising a hosting domain in a foreign language.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    Thanks for the info, Don!

I'm assuming you meant www.superoptical.com here, because the link you have leads to a random website advertising a hosting domain in a foreign language.
    Yep, forgot the L in Optical. Must have been typing with my thumbs.

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    +1 for the OptiSource unit. Much easier to see the pal ids and having the polariscope is nice to see if the lenses are under stress from mounting. It comes with what I guess is a rest to set the frames on but I found it just got in the way so I took it off. Picked it up last year at VEW at a good discount. They might have a sale going on now from VEE.

Thread Information