Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on selling blue light filtered lenses....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Take it for what it is.

https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/ce...-to-amd-109744

https://www.uab.edu/news/youcanuse/i...ue-light-myths

If DES is an issue, then provide your patients the option.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but I have a lot of patients that my other opticians in the office have put them in Tech Shield or Prevencia & they have come back and complained about excessive glare while driving. I only put patients in these coatings if its for an Intermediate pair or a Near Variable pair. Even then, I am a firm believer in what I sell as I like to always educate the patient about what it is exactly they are wearing on their face. If I don't believe in it, then I really do not sell it unless the patient really insists.

I once worked for LC very early in my optical career, it is extremely typical of them to push trending things upon their so called "eye care advisors", they only care about making a buck and patient care is NOT even on their top 10 list of priorities that they adhere too. I did what they wanted and I did it very well, but I felt like a used car salesman selling things I did not believe in, and it eventually got to me, sending me running back to the PVT office after 1 month, in which my optical freedom was restored.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I don't see the need, I tried them myself and don't notice a difference, I really like the cosmetics of it with the blue reflection to them. That's about it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but I have a lot of patients that my other opticians in the office have put them in Tech Shield or Prevencia & they have come back and complained about excessive glare while driving. I only put patients in these coatings if its for an Intermediate pair or a Near Variable pair. Even then, I am a firm believer in what I sell as I like to always educate the patient about what it is exactly they are wearing on their face. If I don't believe in it, then I really do not sell it unless the patient really insists.
    +1

When we rolled out our DES coating, it was communicated to the opticians that it was for intermediate/near use only. The front side mirror and tint reduces visible light and was not recommended for driving or everyday wear. In one ear/out the other. All of our returns of DES was due to exactly what you stated. Added glare while driving.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most of the Varilux progressives and all Transitions have blue light filter built in and so there is no yellow lens or strong purple/blue reflections.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not so sure about that one, Lady.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    +1
    all photochromics have HEV filtering. Not all materials have HEV filtering. Only a handful of AR coatings have HEV filtering.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    +1
    all photochromics have HEV filtering. Not all materials have HEV filtering. Only a handful of AR coatings have HEV filtering.

Essilor Eye Protection System

"Beginning April 2016, we will communicate on the benefits of Smart Blue Filter embedded in Varilux® digital designs, Eyezen+™ lenses, and Transitions lenses."

Smart Blue Filter

Occupation
    Good to know.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's just an advertising slogan until they publish the transmittance curves. My guess is that turning the brightness down 10% will be its equal.

Also see https://justgetflux.com.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    It's just an advertising slogan until they publish the transmittance curves. My guess is that turning the brightness down 10% will be its equal.

Also see https://justgetflux.com.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Couldn't agree more. There might be information about it out there somewhere, but I haven't seen any. It's easier for Essilor to just market it to the public and have them ask the ECP for it, than it is to provide actual information to the ECP.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personal experience:I wear Prevencia on Varilux S design lenses with that supposed built in blue filter. From day one I felt the need to use artificial tears reduced from 5+ times per day to once. From day one, my 3pm tired achy red eyes were relieved. And I don't spend half the time in front of a screen that my kids do. I do not mind the purple reflection that only appears in certain angles in fluorescent lighting, nor has it had any ill effect on my night driving glare, works there as well as my Crizal and Sapphire former lenses. So yes, I wear it and I sell it enthusiastically to those who have a lifestyle that might similarly be improved. I make no claims about retinal health in doing so, however.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If someone complains of headaches and is buying a dedicated computer pair of glasses I mention them, otherwise I do not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Dangerous" blue light lenses are the new FL-41. But with even less medical testing. And, just like FL-41, 99% of ALL doctors have literally zero idea how to properly test and then prescribe if medically necessary. But they do love to toss it on any old Rx pad.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My advice is do your home work find which products work the best, some are legit other are riding the blue light craze. We have many patients come in already looking for the blue light filters, we use privencia and seecoat blue, which is 20% also the smart blue filter 15% which really is a drop in the bucket for the issue. We use hoya's clear blue filter and the classic yellow blue tec line for your more serious computer users. go over the facts with the patient have several offerings and let them pick. Don't sell a patient educate them, this will separate us independents from the box stores and online.
    One thing we do with all private pay patients with children glasses is include Vision Ease, clear blue filter, cost is minimal but gets the seed planted for blue light protection at a young age and again not offered at a box store.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any of my patients that use computers for lengthy amounts of time are put into the Vitaris material. Almost clear, no coating crap. We don't charge extra for it either. It's available in almost every lens design from our lab. Accepts any A/R. My patients notice a lot less fatigue on the computer. Our demo is 20 to 45 yrs.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The anecdotal "evidence" of things like someone noticing "a lot less strain on the computer" from *ANY* of these lenses is all fine and good. But remember, it doesn't equate to actual science in any way - only marketing woo. Just bear that in mind as you're educating and dispensing.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's free for god's sake. What harm could possibly come from using the material. We are selling not selling anything or creating expectations. After thirty years, i avoid this board. Other opticians ready to argue over the validity of white papers, when they haven't done one themselves.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It isn't the "free" that's the issue. It's pushing completely unsubstantiated "scientific" claims on the public that so many of us take issue with. Objectively, perpetuating myths like "dangerous" blue light at this point is both bad for our industry, and the height of professional foolishness. And yes, when speaking to people who were directly involved in the research, and being told there was literally zero correlation to blue light exposure and any form of damage to living human retinal cells, jumping on the "bad blue" bandwagon seems the height of folly.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear 1.74 W3+ with Transitions and Prevencia. At my office, we charge the same for Sapphire as Prevencia, as it costs us the same. Whether or not you are convinced that the HEV blue filter is helpful or not, why not dispense it? AMD runs in my family, so why not take the extra step to possibly help prevent it? Btw, I also take the Preservision at the recommendation of my OD.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    My advice is do your home work find which products work the best, some are legit other are riding the blue light craze.

Ok, let's pretend I'm your new patient. Educate me on the "legit" lenses and the phoneys, which ones work the best?

We have many patients come in already looking for the blue light filters, we use privencia and seecoat blue, which is 20% also the smart blue filter 15% which really is a drop in the bucket for the issue. We use hoya's clear blue filter and the classic yellow blue tec line for your more serious computer users.
    So you use 4 different kinds of "blue blocking" lenses? Are there 4 different kinds of harmful blue light? How can you possibly decide one is good for person A but a different one is good for person B?

go over the facts with the patient have several offerings and let them pick. Don't sell a patient educate them, this will separate us independents from the box stores and online.
    Educating patients is a great thing to do when you have facts. We have no facts in this case. If you have the fact I would love to hear them. Patients come to professionals so they can decide what will work best for them, not so they have to be their own optician. Separating ourselves from box stores is fantastic. Selling something that may or may not do anything useful is not a way I wan't to seperate myself from anyone. I'm also pretty sure every chain store and online optical is pushing "blue protection" hard.

One thing we do with all private pay patients with children glasses is include Vision Ease, clear blue filter, cost is minimal but gets the seed planted for blue light protection at a young age and again not offered at a box store.
    This really sounds bad on a number of levels when you read it aloud.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Found this little gem in my FB feed the other day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystic-Psychic-Snake-Oil-Water.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	13783
    I'm fairly certain that there is more health benefit here than in any "bad blue" lens marketed right now.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    It's helpful for the older adults who don't know how to put a blue light filter on their devices. Also, you can just consider it a "premium anti-reflective coating" when it comes to billing insurance. They are XXX a pair on Nassau for the Nassau's Blue Shield AR lens. They are UV 400 blue light inhibitor and come in most prescriptions. I actually have a pair of plano glasses that I wear around because the slight warmth of the lens helps prevent me from getting headaches. Most of our patients actually like the blue-filter for the same reas
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 02-26-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Wholesale prices removed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whatever did the entire population DO before the advent of these magic lenses? It's as if the population was literally crippled by "blue light" before these came along! It really is amazing to watch the power of nothing but marketing and placebo on an entire population.

If these lenses were named Brian of Nazareth - the hysteria to sell them would make so much more sense!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brian-gif.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	13784

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A little song
    a little dance.
    A little seltzer
    down their pants

This video says it all.