Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on selling blue light filtered lenses....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sell me on selling blue light filtered lenses....

I am working for a company who demands that this blue light coating is on more than 50% of lenses we sell. I have been an optician for 15+ years and I don't buy the whole gimmick on Blue light filtration coatings. They are expensive, not covered at all by insurance, not proven to be effective, and most cell phones and laptops have a built in filter. I don't see the benefit of selling this to anyone.. Am I alone in this?? HELP ME!!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Optibean View Post
    I am working for a company who demands that this blue light coating is on more than 50% of lenses we sell. I have been an optician for 15+ years and I don't buy the whole gimmick on Blue light filtration coatings. They are expensive, not covered at all by insurance, not proven to be effective, and most cell phones and laptops have a built in filter. I don't see the benefit of selling this to anyone.. Am I alone in this?? HELP ME!!!
    When all new innovative products launch, there is always the debate and pro's and con's. There are definitely numerous eye health benefits when wearing this product. That said, it is a product many require, but not everyone.

They are not much more expensive, at least not through my lab and are becoming very popular as ECP's get educated on the features and benefits of this product.

If you would like additional information, please PM me directly and I would be happy to provide the details, availability, pricing etc.

Regards,
    Rob

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would hope that the majority of self-respecting educated opticians are not pushing "blue reducing" lenses. Sounds like you work for a company that cares more about its profits than its patients, which is unfortunate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
    When all new innovative products launch, there is always the debate and pro's and con's. There are definitely numerous eye health benefits when wearing this product. That said, it is a product many require, but not everyone.
    I assume you can provide us with the peer reviewed double blind studies showing us the "definite numerous eye health benefits"?

Who would require this product, more importantly who doesn't deserve the benefits if they are not for everyone?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    $50,000 extra in profit!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    $50,000 extra in profit!
    True. $50k would make me a little happier. So I guess that counts as a health benefit, right?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As of today, there are literally ZERO medical studies showing any direct connection to visible blue light exposure of a given wavelength, at a given intensity, over a given time, that causes clinically significant damage to the live human retina.

None.

At all.

Anecdotal evidence is all that exists - coupled with a strong placebo effect.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I assume you can provide us with the peer reviewed double blind studies showing us the "definite numerous eye health benefits"?

Who would require this product, more importantly who doesn't deserve the benefits if they are not for everyone?
    Absolutely willing to share my expertise and experience.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Absolutely willing to share my expertise and experience.
    Looking forward to it.

We offer the VE Clear Blue for the patients that request additional UV protection, but we don’t “push” it. We also offer the Retinal Bliss. More for comfort. The peach tint can be achieved for comfort, but a backside AR is well worth it for computer users.

And yes, we see additional revenues as well.

Hype or not, peace of mind is a good thing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optibean View Post
    Help yourself.........RUN!.

Any company that demands a 50% saturation of use of a medical device, is not a company to work for. Leave now.

As with any other technology, application is on a case by case basis, and the determinations of the demand level(%) will eventually percolate through based on benefits realized, not by junk science, but by citations of large proven studies.
    Eyes wide open

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post

Here is a link to an unbiased article written by Zenobia Chan. Each ECP can draw their own conclusion, but the fact is science has already proven its harmful existence in certain applications.

http://www.pel-eyewear.com/eyewear-t...ocking-glasses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really appreciate everyone's input! I am just not comfortable being forced to sell a product I do not believe in. I am looking to leave this company, it is a chain ran by a company that you all can probably guess LOL. I like to think of myself as a well informed optician, but there is something about this that I just can't get behind right now. I have also talked to several of my OD and MD friends that feel the same way. I am still going to read up on this for the future to see if there is anything I can relate to. Thanks again everyone!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Tip of the hat to your professionalism, Bean.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is a link to an unbiased article written by Zenobia Chan. Each ECP can draw their own conclusion, but the fact is science has already proven its harmful existence in certain applications.

The above article has scant scientific evidence of harm. Here's a more clinical evaluation;

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...opo.12406/full

From the above;

"Blue-blocking spectacle lenses, with varying degrees of short-wavelength light attenuation (ranging from 10% to 100%), are being marketed at the general population with claims that they can alleviate eyestrain and discomfort (particularly when using computers and other digital devices), improve sleep quality and possibly confer protection from retinal phototoxicity. The current systematic review did not identify any high quality clinical trial evidence to support these claims."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Help yourself.........RUN!.

Any company that demands a 50% saturation of use of a medical device, is not a company to work for. Leave now.

As with any other technology, application is on a case by case basis, and the determinations of the demand level(%) will eventually percolate through based on benefits realized, not by junk science, but by citations of large proven studies.
    Maybe open your own place nearby- "The Honest Optician"? Blue light debunked paper to follow---

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The whole thread...

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...blue+light+bed

Post #48 for those who want to skip to what I think says it all from a most respected source.

This post belongs in the Hall of Fame if you ask me. What say you?

But then again almost everything Sharpstick writes belongs there.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-16-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    The whole thread...

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...blue+light+bed

Post #48 for those who want to skip to what I think says it all from a most respected source.

This post belongs in the Hall of Fame if you ask me. What say you?

But then again almost everything Sharpstick writes belongs there.

Yes, that thread is OPTIBOARD GOLD.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I truly can not figure out your position. First you say there are numerous eye health benefits, then link a random article with no scientific basis which mostly disputes the claims of the blue light lens manufacturers? Would you care to elaborate on the subject?

Occupation
    I love this thread. I love seeing both sides, just like the gun arguments.
    White papers exist to both refute and corroborate HEV. Mud in the face for either side of the spectrum when the final verdict comes in.
    A company that forces HEV sales is wrong. A company that dismisses HEV may, and I underscore may, be missing out on revenue potential. If the patient requests it, and they cannot get it from you, they will go elsewhere. There is no harm in carrying it, even if you don’t promote it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    I love this thread. I love seeing both sides, just like the gun arguments.
    White papers exist to both refute and corroborate HEV. Mud in the face for either side of the spectrum when the final verdict comes in.
    A company that forces HEV sales is wrong. A company that dismisses HEV may, and I underscore may, be missing out on revenue potential. If the patient requests it, and they cannot get it from you, they will go elsewhere. There is no harm in carrying it, even if you don’t promote it.

Don't get me started on gun arguments...
    I am all for having it to offer patient that want it, but being told to sell something is hard for me.

Occupation
    I hear you. There is a line between being forced to and being advised to.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm still waiting for any peer reviewed study ANYWHERE that shows direct damage to human retinal cells from a given wavelength, intensity and exposure to "blue" light.

It literally doesn't exist.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    White papers exist to both refute and corroborate HEV.
    The only papers that matter in this case are the papers that corroborate HEV, as you put it. The lens companies are claiming, or at least leading the public to believe, there is a real health hazard associated with everyday blue light exposure. It is the responsibility of the party making the claim to provide the evidence to support this claim, not for the disputing party to prove the claim wrong. It doesn't work that way, and as of yet, I have not seen a peer reviewed accepted study showing any benefits to "blue light blocking" lenses.

We can only make our decision based on the best evidence at hand. That is not to say we shouldn't change our positions is better evidence is provided, that is the basis of science. If in the future, proper studies show blue light to be hazardous and lenses are available to reduce that hazzard, of course we should educate our patients on that.

High intensity blue light damaging in-vitro swine RPE cells =/= real world danger to humans. That's like drowning a lab mouse then saying water may cause death, humans should all drink out of sippy cups to prevent drowning. In a "study" funded by the sippy cup manufacturers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If blue light were as dangerous as the hype claims, then everyone who doesn't wear eyeglasses at all would be at a huge risk. I haven't seen that happening, have you?

I feel the same way about freeform lenses. I've never had a pair that worked as well as a conventional progressive.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I mention it but don't push it because I'm not impressed with the whole idea or the look. When I show people what the lenses look like most people don't want them. And most of them only filter 20ish % anyway.

Thread Information