Thread: bifocal in top of lens rather than bottom

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

bifocal in top of lens rather than bottom

Had a customer request polarized sunglasses for golf with the bifocal at the top of the lens, rather than the bottom, because he didn't want the b/f to interfere with his view of the ball at address. We tried a really low straight top bifocal, and he still didn't like having it there. He wants the bifocal at the top. Can't figure out how to order/block the lenses so that they come out right. Any suggestions or protocol? Thanks for advice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends... have done them for years. Used round seg for years as it was less obtrusive and we would offset it to the temporal edge of one eye. If the golfer is right handed, put it in the right side only so that distant is not compromised. Reverse if left handed. If the patient wants both lenses to be bifocal, measure it from the bottom up, turn the lens around, and block accordingly. Remember decentration
    . I will try to draw it out later today as I am on my way to a meeting for several hours.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We do that for a local competition shooting club. While aiming they can glance at the pistol sight and look down range at the same time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Depends... have done them for years. Used round seg for years as it was less obtrusive and we would offset it to the temporal edge of one eye. If the golfer is right handed, put it in the right side only so that distant is not compromised. Reverse if left handed. If the patient wants both lenses to be bifocal, measure it from the bottom up, turn the lens around, and block accordingly. Remember decentration
    . I will try to draw it out later today as I am on my way to a meeting for several hours.

Diane
    I have also used RD segs, turned temporally on the players stance ( right righties, left lefties). The biggest trick is finding a lab that knows what you are trying to accomplish. They need to lay the lens out properly for axis/decentration. It helps if they have the frame or at least a drawing of it to get it right. Also, last I checked, RD segs only come in clear CR. Any other material (or Polarization) requires a free form lab that can do a RD seg on the back of most materials.

Quote Originally Posted by peyes View Post
    We do that for a local competition shooting club. While aiming they can glance at the pistol sight and look down range at the same time.
    Does depend on the type of competition. Most action pistol competitors don't want a seg of any type, and presby's prefer more plus or intermediate vision. It's more important to have a clear sights picture than target picture. ( IF you can't see your sights clearly you're not going to hit your target!)

If your client insists on Segs set in the top of the frame, assuming you'll be doing the edging, Order the R lenses' power on a L lens blank and the L lenses' power on a right lens blank. ( eye for eye).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looks like X-Cel still makes a RD24 in grey and brown transistions, 4/6/8 base.

Thread Information