Thread: Vision Expo East: 1st timer - What to expect?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Vision Expo East: 1st timer - What to expect?

My boss is taking me with him up to VEE next month. I've been to NYC about a half dozen times before and I am familiar with getting around and some of the popular tourist attractions.
    I am primarily looking for suggestions and guidance of what to expect and look for when talking with reps at the convention, what to avoid as typical 1st timer mistakes, and what might be hidden gems worth checking out (at the convention and around NYC).
    My first planned stop after dropping stuff off at the hotel is at Katz Deli.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Instead of running to the big booth business exhibitors,

Instead of running to the big booth business exhibitors, try to do the small back lanes where newer exhibitors spend less money and show their products.

You might find some novelties that have not made it yet to the big ones that attract the big crowds with all sorts of fancy novelties as beautiful fashion models or food and drink.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As a lab geek, my favorite is PrecisionToolTech. Great gadgets that simplify my life.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try not to get "sucked in." A lot of reps will bring you to their back room area to show frames and talk your ear off and you can't get out. You'll find you waste a lot of time at one vendor and won't get to see as much. Avoid the companies you're already familiar with and try seeing all new things. Just look a little and then later, stop in to see a rep with the ones you really are interested in. This way you can use your time more efficiently.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love to look at all the cool edgers. So many cool things

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make your plan on what you want to accomplish...education, purchases, etc. If purchasing, make appointments with some time in between to see new products. Look at the grid of the exhibit hall and don NOT just wander. Plan ahead to maximize your time.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Expect to be overwhelmed by how big it is. I agree with Diane, plan your trip before you go. I do like to wander the Galleria to see some interesting stuff, but expect each visit to a both to take 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on whether you are buying are just looking. If you can bring a list of account numbers and you current inventory if you are looking to buy. If you have a smart phone the Vision Expo app is wonderful for finding booths and planning out a schedule.
    Another thing that you can use your cell phone for (If you comfortable doing it) upload any reports that you need like you account list, inventory, recent sales to an online drive like Dropbox or Google Drive, that way you can quickly access the information without having to carry around paper.
    Decide if you want to enter contests before going (consult with the Dr. you are going with) there are generally several giveaways during the show, many of the you need to be present to win. And many of these contest are with 5-10 minutes of each other and on opposite sides of the convention hall.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My favorite part is when they first open the gates and everybody rushes in like its the stock exchange.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    As a lab geek, my favorite is PrecisionToolTech. Great gadgets that simplify my life.
    Thank you Lensman, we appreciate the plug. Jim is always brewing up ideas to make things easier and better in the optical lab! Pete will be manning the booth this year, we look forward to seeing you at VEE.

PTT

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Vision Expo can be overwhelming, but it is a great place to network & see all the new innovative technology that can make our jobs a hell of a lot easier.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Thread Information