Thread: This Weeks Video Release: How To Pass The ABO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This Weeks Video Release: How To Pass The ABO

This week I give you some tips on How To Pass The ABO.

Or the NOCE if you prefer that.

Well, tips on taking any exam you might need to take for any reason...

Link in thread reply below.

Sorry had a little glitch this morning.
    Last edited by John@OWDC; 02-08-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excellent video John! And you're right, good advice for taking any test. I'm going to critique the study references a bit that you give though. Your OpticianWorks/Laramy study guide is top notch, I highly recommend it. But the Optical Formula Tutorial book is over kill for the basic NOCE (imho). Every Optician should own that book for sure, but about the only formula's/math you need for the basic ABO test is Prentice Rule and the 30-45-60 rule on figuring power in a given meridian. I think by recommending it some may spend too much valuable study time going through it ( most of the formulas in it are advanced and not on the basic exam.)

I think a better referencing/study book is System for Ophthalmic Dispensing. It not only has advanced formulas, but also basic info. ( All Opticians should own this book above all others!)

You also don't mention the NAO as a place for obtaining study material. Their entire mission is based on educating Opticians. Some really great material is available through them for basic through Master level studies. Once again, I think this video, along with all the others you've put out are top notch. Your work will certainly help educate the Opticians of today, and in the future.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is the link to the video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-kWaPKEK88&t=7s

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Excellent video John! And you're right, good advice for taking any test. I'm going to critique the study references a bit that you give though. Your OpticianWorks/Laramy study guide is top notch, I highly recommend it. But the Optical Formula Tutorial book is over kill for the basic NOCE (imho). Every Optician should own that book for sure, but about the only formula's/math you need for the basic ABO test is Prentice Rule and the 30-45-60 rule on figuring power in a given meridian. I think by recommending it some may spend too much valuable study time going through it ( most of the formulas in it are advanced and not on the basic exam.)

I think a better referencing/study book is System for Ophthalmic Dispensing. It not only has advanced formulas, but also basic info. ( All Opticians should own this book above all others!)

You also don't mention the NAO as a place for obtaining study material. Their entire mission is based on educating Opticians. Some really great material is available through them for basic through Master level studies. Once again, I think this video, along with all the others you've put out are top notch. Your work will certainly help educate the Opticians of today, and in the future.
    Thank so much!

Thread Information