Thread: Marco 101

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Marco 101

My dr. had a fit the last time we sent our Marco 101 lensometer out to be cleaned and calibrated because of the bill. Now im pretty awesome if i dont say so myself and i wouldnt mind giving it a shot. Does anyone have a manual on how to pull it apart and calibrate it. Or even just calibrate it im sure i could figure out how to disassemble and reassemble just need it to be calibrated correctly. any help with this would be great

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When was it calibrated last? They sure don't need it often. My lensometer is more that 20 years old and I've never had it calibrated. I take that you know how to adjust it for your eyes.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yes i know how to adjust but its reading about -.25 strong at plano and it need sto be taken apart and cleaned i just dont want to mess anything up

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Mine reads just over 1/12th off and always will. I've been told you do NOT want to take that instrument apart. Marcos are in the top tier of lensometers and your really don't want to foot the bill to fix it, should things go wrong.

My advice- learn to keep that compensation in mind and if you share the machine put a note in front of it so anyone who uses it will be well aware. Working in an office where owners won't pay to fix things that aren't that broken means learning to keep minor adjustments in mind. I add 0.5 to my caliper reading and my finishing tech has to block a certain amount off on purpose so that his PDs come out right. It may not be an awesome way to work but it does actually work.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Mine reads just over 1/12th off and always will. I've been told you do NOT want to take that instrument apart. Marcos are in the top tier of lensometers and your really don't want to foot the bill to fix it, should things go wrong.

My advice- learn to keep that compensation in mind and if you share the machine put a note in front of it so anyone who uses it will be well aware. Working in an office where owners won't pay to fix things that aren't that broken means learning to keep minor adjustments in mind. I add 0.5 to my caliper reading and my finishing tech has to block a certain amount off on purpose so that his PDs come out right. It may not be an awesome way to work but it does actually work.
    How does it read 1/12th off. What is a 1/12th? Do you mean 1/8th or 0.125 diopter. Sorry, but I just have to lay it out there for those of us that this bothers.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have long since learned to let go of the 1/12 = 1/8 thing. :-)

Yeah, you just have to learn the quirks when your gear is slightly wonky. Our lensometer always reads higher powers, both plus and minus, as having a touch of additional plus. By the time I get up to +/-10, it's consistently off by a half diopter. You have to make sure you trust your labs.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are you old enough to get it???

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    How does it read 1/12th off. What is a 1/12th? Do you mean 1/8th or 0.125 diopter. Sorry, but I just have to lay it out there for those of us that this bothers.

Diane

"Picky- picky- picky"

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you really want the boss to go ballistic take it apart and then put it back together and find that it is in worse shape than when you started. Send the darn thing out and have it newerized by a professional.

Occupation
    Speaking in bad optical 'grammar' is going to be my new method of getting more responses to posts

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It can't be more than 500 or 600 bucks to get recalibrated/refurbished can it? Thats like 25% of what they go new. Seems reasonable to me for something that is only rarely done.

2 things I won't open up and play with are tracers and lensometers

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    2 things I won't open up and play with are tracers and lensometers
    I have replaced 2 stylus tips in my tracer before, wasn't bad.

Looks like Optician Works needs a new weekly video about calibrating your manual lensometer.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    I have replaced 2 stylus tips in my tracer before, wasn't bad.

Looks like Optician Works needs a new weekly video about calibrating your manual lensometer.

I'd watch that. Then I'd probably watch it twenty more times before I'd even think about touching my Marco.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry...I believe anything worth doing is worth doing well. That includes discussions. Flame on....I don't think you guys would have picked on some other guy on here.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    ....I don't think you guys would have picked on some other guy on here.

Diane
    I'm game!

WRT ophthalmic optics nomenclature:

1/12 of a diopter, or a "twelfth" of a diopter, is essentially gibberish.

0.125 D = one eighth of a diopter = 1/8 of a diopter, usually shortened to an "eighth" of a diopter.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Before correcting others on things such as grammar, spelling or manners, a good rule of thumb is to examine your situation. This is not an all-inclusive list but If you are: In public, not in a position of authority or not on a first name basis with the person you are addressing it's a good idea to keep it to yourself and move on. Often we are typing in a hurry or on a cell phone which can be problematic. Computers lag or don't translate well across all applications and then there's atrocities like predictive text. In this case the reference was to using jargon - which by the admissions of the responses included in this thread - would be common to our environment, so much so that: #1 it's become an irritant and #2 we all knew exactly what was being inferred. It's also important to note that it's easy to focus on the things that annoy us while overlooking the things that we ourselves do that might be considered annoying by others. While I agree that anything worth doing is worth doing right, I would extend that to include personal conduct. I read posts here frequently but don't often post any longer and this sort of behavior is at least in part responsible. I entered this thread expecting a conversation about the Marco 101 only to have it evolve into a lesson I'm simply not interested in.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeguy21 View Post
    Before correcting others on things such as grammar, spelling or manners, a good rule of thumb is to examine your situation.
    This had nothing to do with grammar , spelling or manners. I can not recall a single time anyone on this forum has rudely corrected anyone else's spelling or grammar. This is was plain and simple an incorrectly used term.

This is not an all-inclusive list but If you are: In public, not in a position of authority or not on a first name basis with the person you are addressing it's a good idea to keep it to yourself and move on. Often we are typing in a hurry or on a cell phone which can be problematic. Computers lag or don't translate well across all applications and then there's atrocities like predictive text.
    Again, nothing to do with this case.

In this case the reference was to using jargon - which by the admissions of the responses included in this thread - would be common to our environment, so much so that: #1 it's become an irritant and #2 we all knew exactly what was being inferred.
    It has become an irritant because it is flat out wrong. We don't correct people to make ourselves feel better or superior, we offer the correct term to bring everyone to the same page so professional discussions can take place. I expect, and hope to be corrected when I post something incorrect so I don't continue with an incorrect term or assumption. I surely wouldn't want to continue with an incorrect idea, which when presented to a less accepting and helpful group, could prove embarrassing or even detrimental to my career.

There is no room for growth if you aren't willing to be corrected when wrong, or shown a better way.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    There is no room for growth if you aren't willing to be corrected when wrong, or shown a better way.
    I try to be humble every day and learn, its the only thing that keeps me sharp in the end.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But where's the room for growth when correcting someone on something we're all well aware of? The point I was making, which I'll stand behind, was in reference to the unnecessary correction of others and these types of comments only help to reinforce that position. Whether or not it's intended, you are absolutely putting yourself in a position of superiority when correcting others where it's not warranted. Since I don't see where anything of value was added to the original conversation by the correction, I'd call that unwarranted. And once again I'm not really sure who in this business doesn't know what is meant when someone references a twelfth, but no one here can make that claim. As such I don't personally feel the industry is out of synch in this matter and I most certainly can carry on a professional discussion - without interruption - when a "twelfth" has been introduced into the conversation. Mike drop and I'm out. Peace all.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The only constant in our profession is change. Even our theorems and formulas constantly evolve. We will all agree and disagree on a regular basis. Physics is Physics, but the application of physics is constantly evolving.

Yes, .125 is half of a quarter, which makes it 1/8. But, .125 is a half of 0.25, and to the mathematically challenged, it does look like a “12th”. Potato -Pototo.

Time to move on and accept the new reality. Our profession is no longer a profession, but a retail job, unless you are a true professional. So, let me ask this. Which one of you are ready to take on the challenge of changing the perception of our craft?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Which one of you are ready to take on the challenge of changing the perception of our craft?
    Don't you mean which one of you IS ready?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Don't you mean which one of you IS ready?
    This was meant as a plural, so IS was not an option.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    This was meant as a plural, so IS was not an option.
    Subject of the sentence is 'one'. Singular.

Reigning this thing in, I have NO idea why you would risk damaging such expensive equipment when you can easily account for it being slightly off.
    Last edited by cowboytelemark; 02-08-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Getting back on track.... Yes... I would love a video on cleaning, calibrating etc of the lensometer.

Thread Information