Thread: Younger Optics Launches NuPolar® Infinite Gray™ Lenses

OptiBoard Professional YO Aimee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Younger Optics Launches NuPolar® Infinite Gray™ Lenses

“The number one complaint I hear about polarized lenses,” says David Rips, president and CEO of Younger Optics, at a recent sales meeting, “is that they’re too dark. The second most common is that they’re too light!” His audience of Younger Optics Sales Reps chuckles with recognition. “Younger Optics is now introducing a polarized sunwear lens that is very light gray when it needs to be, and very dark gray when the wearer needs it most.”

The new product is called NuPolar Infinite Gray, and it is now available in polycarbonate from optical laboratories. The darkness of the lens is controlled with a new UV-responsive photochromic technology that offers the widest range of light absorption of any polarized photochromic lens.

Who are NuPolar Infinite Gray lenses for?
    NuPolar Infinite Gray lenses are for patients who want a high-efficiency polarized Rx sunwear lens that can function seamlessly from shade to bright sunlight, and anything in between.

What is the range of transmission from light to dark?
    From approximately 35% transmittance in low-UV surroundings to ~9% in very bright, reflective environments.

What is the current and future availability of NuPolar Infinite Gray lenses?
    Currently available in gray, single-vision polycarbonate. Gray single-vision hard resin will be next.

Where can I find out more?
    See the links below. If you would like to see the lens in person, please visit us at Vision Expo East at booth #LP4413 in March. Eyecare professionals who visit the booth are eligible to request a free-fit coupon.

Material: Polycarbonate

Rx Range -9.50D to +6.00D

Base Curves: 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

NuPolar® Infinite Gray™ Leaflet for ECPs - English

NuPolar® Infinite Gray™ Leaflet for ECPs - Spanish

NuPolar® Infinite Gray™ Video

NuPolar® Infinite Gray™ Technical Specifications

Let me know if you have any questions!

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics
    Manufacturer of NuPolar, Drivewear, Image, Adage, Trilogy and Camber lenses
    https://www.facebook.com/YoungerOptics

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Clarifying question- is this more like a grey Drivewear or is it closer to Vantage? I will be asking my rep to get me a sample come Monday so I can see it in person. I'm a huge advocate for Drivewear, so I'm very much looking forward to what Infinite Grey has to offer.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Definitely intriguing. Seems to be more effective and thus easier to recommend than the Vantage.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Clarifying question- is this more like a grey Drivewear or is it closer to Vantage? I will be asking my rep to get me a sample come Monday so I can see it in person. I'm a huge advocate for Drivewear, so I'm very much looking forward to what Infinite Grey has to offer.
    NuPolar Infinite Gray lenses are significantly different from both Transitions Vantage and Transitions Drivewear. Let me explain the differences:

Transitions Vantage is designed to be an everyday lens (mostly clear indoors and at night), and is a "variable polarization" lens, which means the level of glare-blocking polarization changes depending on UV exposure.

Transitions Drivewear
    is a sunglass lens that has three distinct color/darkness states designed for daytime driving. It is always polarized (via polarizing film), which means it is not meant to be worn indoors, and should not be worn for night driving.
    Transitions Drivewear uses both UV-activated and visible-light-activated Transitions photochromic technology, which means it is able to activate even when behind the windshield of a car.

The NuPolar Infinite Gray lens is a polarized sunglass lens that contains a high-efficiency polarizing film, which means the polarization level does not change. The tint goes from light gray to very dark gray using a new UV-activated photochromic technology. It is not a Transitions product.

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by YO Aimee View Post
    NuPolar Infinite Gray lenses are significantly different from both Transitions Vantage and Transitions Drivewear. Let me explain the differences:

Transitions Vantage is designed to be an everyday lens (mostly clear indoors and at night), and is a "variable polarization" lens, which means the level of glare-blocking polarization changes depending on UV exposure.

Transitions Drivewear
    is a sunglass lens that has three distinct color/darkness states designed for daytime driving. It is always polarized (via polarizing film), which means it is not meant to be worn indoors, and should not be worn for night driving.
    Transitions Drivewear uses both UV-activated and visible-light-activated Transitions photochromic technology, which means it is able to activate even when behind the windshield of a car.

The NuPolar Infinite Gray lens is a polarized sunglass lens that contains a high-efficiency polarizing film, which means the polarization level does not change. The tint goes from light gray to very dark gray using a new UV-activated photochromic technology. It is not a Transitions product.
    So the photochromic material is "in mass"?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    So the photochromic material is "in mass"?
    Hi Don,
    No, the polarizing film is embedded in the material like a regular NuPolar poly lens, and the photochromic dye is on the front surface.

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi! I'd read about this lense on one of the Younger Optics sites: http://www.youngeroptics.com.au/nupolar/infinite

There says that the NuPolar Infinite lense "is activated by both UV and visible light to moderately activate behind the windscreen providing sufficient tint".

Is it true? Our supplier says that only XTRActive and DriveWear can activates behind the windscreen.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanPRO View Post
    Hi! I'd read about this lense on one of the Younger Optics sites: http://www.youngeroptics.com.au/nupolar/infinite

There says that the NuPolar Infinite lense "is activated by both UV and visible light to moderately activate behind the windscreen providing sufficient tint".

Is it true? Our supplier says that only XTRActive and DriveWear can activates behind the windscreen.
    Hi RomanPRO,
    Your supplier is correct. Only Transitions XTRActive and Transitions Drivewear contain photochromic dyes that activate in visible light. NuPolar Infinite Gray lenses contain UV-responsive photochromic dyes. Any activation behind the windshield is due to incidental UV exposure; for example, from side windows which, in general, filter a lower percentage of UV than windshields.

We advise that Transitions Drivewear is still the best lens to recommend to patients who need glare-blocking polarization and behind-the-windshield activation.

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi RomanPRO,
    NuPolar Infinite Gray lenses contain UV-responsive photochromic dyes.
    Then why on the official site of the YO written otherwise? I'm quoting again: "is activated by both UV and visible light".

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    David Rips has just come up with a new chart to show the breadth of the transmittance range of NuPolar Infinite Gray lens in comparison to the NuPolar Gray 3 and NuPolar Gray 1 lenses.
    https://www.facebook.com/DavidRipsCE...25288631402187

Please like, comment, or pass along to colleagues who may be interested. Thanks!

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics

Occupation
    Today is a day for useful charts!

I have worn my Infinites a few times now and do find them to be extremely comfortable, though I have to admit, I couldn't tell they got darker than a Grey-3. My current Grey-3 pair is mirrored though, so I probably don't have the best example of comparison.

Occupation
    Does the fact that Infinite Grey, being lighter than a Grey-1 in its lightest state, mean that the polarization is less effective?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    That's interesting, Quince. It's possible that the mirrorcoat is a factor. Also consider that your northern latitude means that you're subjected to less UV than people who are closer to the equator.

Today is a day for useful charts!

I have worn my Infinites a few times now and do find them to be extremely comfortable, though I have to admit, I couldn't tell they got darker than a Grey-3. My current Grey-3 pair is mirrored though, so I probably don't have the best example of comparison.

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The polarization coefficient remains constant, regardless of how light or dark the lens is. The polarizing film is encapsulated within the lens and is not affected by UV exposure.

Does the fact that Infinite Grey, being lighter than a Grey-1 in its lightest state, mean that the polarization is less effective?

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics

Occupation
    The polarization coefficient remains constant, regardless of how light or dark the lens is. The polarizing film is encapsulated within the lens and is not affected by UV exposure.

I was under the impression that a Grey 3 had more polarization to it than a Grey 1. The darkness of the lens contributing to the factor. Please correct me here- but I've noticed that with the polar testers, from Maui and such, are not nearly as colorful looking through a lighter polarized lens, such as a Grey 1 or rose.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking whether the Infinite Gray polarization efficiency varies depending on how dark it is. The question of whether the polarization coefficient of Infinite Gray is lower than Gray-1: I'll have to find out and get back to you.

I was under the impression that a Grey 3 had more polarization to it than a Grey 1. The darkness of the lens contributing to the factor. Please correct me here- but I've noticed that with the polar testers, from Maui and such, are not nearly as colorful looking through a lighter polarized lens, such as a Grey 1 or rose.

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics

Occupation
    Thank you! Tricky questions for a tricky lens!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    What is remarkable about NuPolar Infinite Gray it that it’s lighter than Gray-1 but still has a very high polarization efficiency. Generally, the lighter a polarized lens is, the lower the efficiency is, especially for non-NuPolar products. Most light non-NuPolar products on the market have low polarization efficiencies. With NuPolar, we always make sure the efficiency is very high or we don’t release the product. That’s what makes Infinite Gray so remarkable. It took a lot of technical breakthroughs to make a light, but highly efficient polarizer.

Occupation
    Thank you David!

Would you say that the level of polarization is the same level with all NuPolar products regardless of tint density? Or is it that the NuPolar line's grade 1 polarization is closer to grade 3 than other products?

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Quince, as a general rule, with polarized lenses in the industry those colors that are lighter TEND to be less efficient. With Nupolar that is typically not the case. The main reason is that Younger makes most of its polarizing film in house. We get in raw materials and liquid chemicals and actually make our own film from scratch. Because of this our process is kept to very high standards of polarization, it is an area where Younger/Nupolar does NOT compromise. If we can't make a color with a high level of efficiency, we won't market it, regardless of density. Other manufacturer's products range from VERY GOOD to VERY POOR, most of it depends on where they buy their film AND their manufacturing process. Making a poor or mediocre polarized lens is very easy, making a very good one is EXCEEDINGLY difficult. Hope this helps...dave

Thread Information