Thread: Things you have done to get more foot traffic in your store.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Things you have done to get more foot traffic in your store.

I recently started managing an ophthalmic practice with 3 locations. 2 of the locations are doing good, but I am expected to bring sales up in the 3rd. It is in an office plaza and does not have the best drive-by street view location. I am wanting some ideas to get more patients in for sales. I'm pretty sure radio adverts and anything that cost too much money are out of the question, so I'm not sure how else to promote the location. Have you all had this problem, and if so, how did you guys fix it?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You state that you are in an office plaza. You might consider altering your hours in order to accommodate the folks who work close by. You might consider offering routine eye exam at 8:00 AM and after 5:00PM in addition to your normal hours. The office pogues really appreciate getting in to see someone near by immediately before or after work. Speak to the personnel office and let them know your new accommodating hours. You might also advise them that you will give their employees priority scheduling of appointments and walk-ins.

Partner with local businesses. It doesn't cost you a plug nickel.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Wacky inflatable man!!

Just kidding- don't do that. But maybe a Trunk show or something else a frame or lens company can contribute to? That's a good way to get some quality behind a small event that won't require financial contribution.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Maybe a plaza isnt the best way to describe it. Its a small house looking office with seperate small house looking offices all along this road. There's like a lawyer's, office and dentist along the road and other private companies. The problem is that the road does not have any foot traffic or even vehicle traffic unless people are coming to one of these small businesses. I like the trunk show idea, and i do plan to pull the trigger on that in a month or 2, but im trying to figure out a way to get a lot of attention to this place for potential patients. I may try flyering the road and letting other businesses know we are around.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trunk shows are a great way to bring in extra income as well as new patients that may not have known you exist. Reps love trunk shows because they sell directly to the customer so they will bring promotional material and some reps will send out free flyers and email blasts. You can also go to local businesses, (bakeries, etc) to as for discounted or donated food and drink to serve at your show. This brings local businesses together so they can advertise for free at your show.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaglax View Post
    I may try flyering the road and letting other businesses know we are around.
    No one, I say again, no one reads flyers or brochures that come in the mail. Nothing beats going around in person to introduce yourself and pressing the flesh.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who is your demographic? You mentioned an "ophthalmic practice" - is this ophthalmology/surgery based? Optometry/primary eyecare based? Most MDs aren't in the eyeglass business for profit as their surgery fees vastly outpace anything a small retail extension is likely to bring in. What are their goals? Who is the patient they're trying to capture...and aren't?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Our doctor has surgery 2 days out of the week. Most of our patients are older, but we are starting to see kids and teens now. The two stores that do sell have 50% seniors, 50% 12-40s.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Maybe check some promotion for the employees working in the same office building. Try to get in touch with employers and give them some discounts for their companies. It worked quite well in my store.
    Optometrist at Eyecare Plus - at your service :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it fair to assume that your business sign is mounted on your unit parallel to the road ? Most signs are parallel and as such they are a waste of money.

Signs are only effective if they are not parallel to the road. To get visibility your sign must be 90 degrees to the traffic flow. There are various ways to do this. A picture of your plaza, the road and your units would be beneficial for discussion.
    Last edited by idispense; 01-22-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have had some good success with trunk shows and promotions specifically targeting local businesses. I've made flyers which I hand-delivered to every business in our office park and the few office parks in the immediate area, explaining that we're reaching out with special pricing just for neighbor businesses. I've always had some success.

You're in a tough situation. Optical businesses are an awkward amphibian; it's medical, so you want to be in a professional medical environment, but it's also retail, so the medical/office properties conducive to the former tend to eliminate the walk-in traffic the latter thrives on. You're really banking on return customers year after year for steady, reliable growth, but I'm sure explaining that to your superiors is basically useless.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Easy: Tell the owners to move the location.

Thread Information