Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sooooo...

To paraphrase Guido's interview in the article there: He's working on lenses that will be extremely expensive, offer no waste savings in terms of material (edging, cribbing, etc), only able to print in a single, very low index monomer right now, can't match current free-form surface accuracy, can't match current digital / free-form speed, aren't offering any lens designs not currently, and (comparatively) cheaply available on the market from a number of labs, and are most directly focused on gimmicks like putting a clock, gps, or blinky light into your lens for the 'coolness' factor?

It appears they have quite a way to go before they'll have a product with real mass viability for the industry. But if they're having fun trying new things for no other reason than "why not"...it's their money to burn I suppose. *shrug*

I mean, I *want* to be impressed...I really do. But this interview didn't exactly leave me begging for more. Maybe once they get themselves and their production capabilities and goals a lot more sorted out...localized, custom sized prisms sound intriguing, mixing / blending indices as well, and perhaps single piece shield type optics such as ski goggle lenses, and safety shields - all of course a a low cost to the end user - they might be able to really take off. Should we check back in a few years and see how they're coming along?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    "John: I see an index of refraction of 1.53. If you are permitted to answer, does this mean that the CR-39 monomer is the base?
    Guido: The material we use is a custom material we created ourselves, focused on our process needs, which is different from what the blank makers use since they have different requirements. Our material is light weight and has an Abbe number of 45. It is of course compliant with drop-ball impact testing, even the big ball. "

Does he mean Trivex??

The ranges and availability of lens style are impressive, and even though it isn't quite practical yet, this is an impressive start. One hour to lay out and individually cure up to one billion tiny droplets? I will be interested to see what the next step is.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Does this use SLA or DLP technology?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Does this use SLA or DLP technology?
    Here is the answer from LuxExcel: "Neither. We use a special form of inkjet printing, where we generate droplets and position them where needed, just like your office inkjet printer, but in 3D."
    Last edited by John@OWDC; 01-25-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    "John: I see an index of refraction of 1.53. If you are permitted to answer, does this mean that the CR-39 monomer is the base?
    Guido: The material we use is a custom material we created ourselves, focused on our process needs, which is different from what the blank makers use since they have different requirements. Our material is light weight and has an Abbe number of 45. It is of course compliant with drop-ball impact testing, even the big ball. "

Does he mean Trivex??

The ranges and availability of lens style are impressive, and even though it isn't quite practical yet, this is an impressive start. One hour to lay out and individually cure up to one billion tiny droplets? I will be interested to see what the next step is.
    Index is not an exact match to any material or brand.
    All materials and specific brands may vary by a few points.
    Trivex especially.
    I think Guido is saying that it is their own proprietary mixture or monomer.
    Maybe they should consider giving it a brand name?

And - hey - Sebago ME?
    Are you in a big place or a little tiny one-man shop?
    I think we have have met once upon a time?
    I stumbled into a one-man surfacing lab somewhere in ME long before I knew what it was.
    I had to ask what the heck he was doing and he was nice enough to give me a 30 second run down.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    Maybe they should consider giving it a brand name?

And - hey - Sebago ME?
    Are you in a big place or a little tiny one-man shop?

I find it very interesting that Trivex is the most branded material. Maybe because of its newness? But yes, this is a good opportunity to brand their material. It will be easier to reference in future discussions and to distinguish what has been created specifically for this method of processing.

I live in Sebago but work out of South Portland in an independent office. No doctor, just surfacing (for three locations) and finish at each. There is a doctor's practice in Sebago- not sure what extent their lab has, but alas it was not me you met. Maybe soon if I can make it to VEE this year. I owe a personal 'thank you' to the team at Laramy-K and Optician Works for helping me get my ABO this past year!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I find it very interesting that Trivex is the most branded material. Maybe because of its newness? But yes, this is a good opportunity to brand their material. It will be easier to reference in future discussions and to distinguish what has been created specifically for this method of processing.

I live in Sebago but work out of South Portland in an independent office. No doctor, just surfacing (for three locations) and finish at each. There is a doctor's practice in Sebago- not sure what extent their lab has, but alas it was not me you met. Maybe soon if I can make it to VEE this year. I owe a personal 'thank you' to the team at Laramy-K and Optician Works for helping me get my ABO this past year!
    Glad we helped!

We are still kicking around VEE or not.

My lab visit in ME was something like 1989 or so.

I suspect that fellow might have retired long, long ago.

Or gone to big surfacing lab in the sky.

Or would ending up in a surfacing lab be like hell?

It really was a hole-in-the-wall kind of place basically an old garage that you would drive right by without noticing.

Thread Information