Thread: Can we please take a moment to hate on Zeiss?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Null thread

null thread
    Last edited by Prentice Pro 9000; 01-07-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So why are you still ordering?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Haters gonna hate

Lenny has a valid point

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I rarely order from Zeiss except in the case of the individual 1.74, from their germany or japan labs - which is dual surfaced.a

Never EVER order duravision platinum on a trivex trans you will get chuck marks evety time. They are fantastic 1.74 and their 1.67 stock aspheric is very good too.

I go as far as saying they make some of if not the best high index lenses/treatments in the business. Progressives always have worked for my clients as well.(high index polarized have a great color too!)
    Last edited by Tallboy; 01-09-2018 at 02:19 AM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaketull View Post
    I ordered a 1.67 that came in with a 2.5 CT. Now, if I order 1.67, that means I want it thin! I know a 1.0 CT is too much to ask for. BUT there's at least a mm that you can shave off! I care about stuff like this! To me it just shows that they don't care anymore. A bunch of monkeys just doing everything on auto mode. So that got me thinking about all the other things that I seethingly hate about them. YMMV
    I work for Zeiss and would be happy to address your concerns.
    Please email me brent.mccardle@zeiss.com so I can look into your account and address this on an account level.

1. Their reps don't know s***.
    To say they do not know anything is unfounded and is a blanket statement. They have resources that they can reach out to if you need more detailed information as non of us have all the answers and I am happy to answer any questions or get answers that you feel are not being addressed in regards to quality, technology, etc.

2. Their jobs have pits all the time.

3. They hassle you about returns.
    This could be specific to your account as I am not hearing this. Please email me so we can track specific invoices and find out where they originated. We can also have you send the lenses in for testing.

4. They charge too much for a product that is about to be surpassed.
    I am not sure what you are referring to when you state "about to be surpassed". Can you elaborate?

5. Their product-lines are confusing and often don't hit the mark.
    We have five general purpose progressives. Within those we have two fixed corridor designs, one with default PoW compensation and the other without compensation. The other three are variable corridor designs one with default PoW and the other two have customizable PoW. The Individual 2 has the ability to customize further with a distant dominant version, a near dominant verstion, or a gerneral purpose version. We have a soft design genral purpose progressive as well, if you prefer these designs for hyperopes, these have fixed corridor lengths. Of course we have anti-fatigue and office lenses. Obviously you would not want to use all of the general purpose progressives in your portfolio.

6. 1.74 Surfaced has to come from Germany.
    This is true

7. Even if it's not coming from Germany, they're a lot slower than other labs.

8. Their lenses always come out too thick.
    Again, plesae email me so I can look at your account

9. They don't have a dual-surfaced lens, so on plus jobs you're always going to end up with a super-high BC.
    Our 1.74 is dual surfaced, but again I would like to look at particular invoices along with the BC's you received that were out of line when compared to the Rx.

10. Their top of the line lens doesn't even allow you to select a corridor because, god forbid, I might actually have an idea as to where I want the NRP.
    As stated on #5 we have two other lenses that allow you to specify corridor length, three if you include the soft design progressive. The Individual 2 is variable becasuse this insures the the intermediate/near will be as wide as possible with the given frame, fitting height, and PoW parmeters. The variable corridor allows us to adjust the corridor based on Rx and frame shape as well.

11. THEY DON'T EVEN DO G15!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?
    G-15 is a trademark name so we do not call our lens G-15, but we can match that color.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    So why are you still ordering?
    I kind of have to because of where I work

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I kind of have to because of where I work
    Let Lensgrinder answer your concerns.

We have seldom had issues with Zeiss, but like all labs, some are just plain better than others. We use NCO out of Minnesota for our out of range work, but we are also a Zeiss qualified lab, producing Zeiss OEM and branded FF designs, along with IOT designs. Service has always been good.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I appreciate that. I don't think you'll be able to help, but I edited the thread.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    I work for Zeiss and would be happy to address your concerns.
    Please email me brent.mccardle@zeiss.com so I can look into your account and address this on an account level.

To say they do not know anything is unfounded and is a blanket statement. They have resources that they can reach out to if you need more detailed information as non of us have all the answers and I am happy to answer any questions or get answers that you feel are not being addressed in regards to quality, technology, etc.

This could be specific to your account as I am not hearing this. Please email me so we can track specific invoices and find out where they originated. We can also have you send the lenses in for testing.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you state "about to be surpassed". Can you elaborate?

We have five general purpose progressives. Within those we have two fixed corridor designs, one with default PoW compensation and the other without compensation. The other three are variable corridor designs one with default PoW and the other two have customizable PoW. The Individual 2 has the ability to customize further with a distant dominant version, a near dominant verstion, or a gerneral purpose version. We have a soft design genral purpose progressive as well, if you prefer these designs for hyperopes, these have fixed corridor lengths. Of course we have anti-fatigue and office lenses. Obviously you would not want to use all of the general purpose progressives in your portfolio.

This is true

Again, plesae email me so I can look at your account

Our 1.74 is dual surfaced, but again I would like to look at particular invoices along with the BC's you received that were out of line when compared to the Rx.

As stated on #5 we have two other lenses that allow you to specify corridor length, three if you include the soft design progressive. The Individual 2 is variable becasuse this insures the the intermediate/near will be as wide as possible with the given frame, fitting height, and PoW parmeters. The variable corridor allows us to adjust the corridor based on Rx and frame shape as well.

G-15 is a trademark name so we do not call our lens G-15, but we can match that color.
    I appreciate that. I don't think you'll be able to help. But I edited the thread.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I appreciate that. I don't think you'll be able to help. But I edited the thread.
    You have concerns and I am willing to try and resolve them if you want my help.

Thread Information