Thread: Veterinary Eye Doctor

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Veterinary Eye Doctor

Animal eye doctor helps all kinds of animals see.

http://www.mailtribune.com/news/2017...of-animals-see

Her practice:

http://www.blissanimaleyecare.com/

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great specialty if you ask me! If it works you're a hero if not who's to know you botched it.

Never have to give them the Blue Juice!

Used to be one in Lincoln. Closest now around your old stomping grounds is apparently in Woburn MA.

Happy New Year!!!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-30-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    double post...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Dick........you triggered the first New Years resolution ............................

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Baker

For Dr. Cassandra Bliss, Southern Oregon’s sole veterinary ophthalmologist, every day is as different as the animal species she helps. Last week, her patients included an injured spotted owl unable to see and a rescued dog with painful lashes growing inside its eyelids. Other days, it’s house calls to farm animals or follow-up research on a flamingo in captivity that had surgery for cataracts.

Dick.....................you just made my day.

After 48 hours of fighting my heating system that went on strike in my house, at -20C, due to a defective thermostat, I found out after hours, and nobody wanted to come and fix it until after the New Years holiday.

I was ready to make an igloo in the 15 ft pile of snow, which the snow removers dumped on my lot at the street corner, and copy the Inuits.

Two nights ago I managed to reprogram the thermostat and the heat came back. Then my wife decided to lower the temperature yesterday before going to bed which messed up the whole system again, and I was again resetting the heater and thermostat for another 2 hours in the middle of last night with cold fingers in the basement.

...................now back to the subject.

There are no animal opticians on a worldwide basis, but about 4 Canada animal eye clinics, in which they do even laser surgery, but nobody talks of glasses, or contact lenses.

Knowing that my vet charged me $ 153.00 every month for 31 rheumatic painkiller pills for my dog Winnie, who died 3 weeks ago. I am most probably not the only one that has been spending some good money, for the animal we love.

We could start the *North American Association of Veterinarian Opticians*, (NAAVO), and develop its rules and ways of making money from animal lovers.

Just think that a simple cow could double the milk production with better vision, or a pitbull could recognize whoever he does not like, with good glasses. So why not join in on a guaranteed money making idea, as a New Years resolution.

Furthermore: This idea has not been taken over from any Essilor website and has first been published on Optiboard.

Occupation
    Here in Newberry, Florida everyone has horses and a few of my neighbors have horses with cataracts. They have progressed to the extent that they can no longer be trail ridden and are confined to the barn and paddock. Our Papillion has cataracts but still can find the dog food bowl.

I recall hearing that "couching" is still occasionally used to dislodge cataracts up at Tufts in North Grafton.
    Last edited by rbaker; 01-01-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I had the occasion to look into horses eyes. A patient of mine had a small stable with 4 horses. She said one of the horses was diagnosed with cataracts and wanted a second opinion. So I visited the stable and got up on a step ladder with my Panoptic ophthalmoscope. The left eye of the first horse had a large cataract which could be seen with just a penlight. When I examined the retina it was a lime green/ yellowish back round color -not like the orange color of humans. So I thought oh my gosh this poor horse has some retinal disease. When I looked in the right eye it had the same appearance. wow I thought. Then I examined the retina of the second horse and lo and behold it had the same retinal back round color!! Then I thought, yeah dummy, this is what horses retinas look like since I've never seen one. And after doing more research horses retinas do indeed have this much lighter back round color.
    Also, I took my ophthalmoscope and retinoscope home to examine my rabbit Benny the bunny. I remember with a +1.50 neutralizing lens he scoped plano-perfect vision.
    I believe there are several veterinary ophthalmologists working at Merck here near Lansdale, PA and they check the eyes of animals in the research dept.

Thread Information