Thread: Has sight testing been harmful to optometrists in BC?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    Sight testing is an evaluation of refractive error of the eye.
    AKA "optometry".

It is accomplished as a refraction done with an autorefractor, autophoropter, and lensometer.
    In other words, you take the old glasses (probably determined by an OD), get a variably-accurate autorefractor reading, and you're done.

It is done by a trained technician, using computer aided software.
    "Computer-aided software"? Is there another kind of software? "Technician", huh? Who trained the "technician"? Seriously. Who?

The final results (subjective) are compared to the clients existing glasses prescription.
    Which tells you exactly....nothing. What's the point? Can you explain that to me?

The whole procedure uses Snellen charts to determined visual acuity.
    Ooooh. Snellen charts.

The final results are sent via fax to an eye doctor for final approval by an ophthalmologist.
    Because ophthalmologists can turn crap into gold? So he can look at a lensometer print out, entering acuities, an autorefractor print out, and new acuities? Wow. Amazing powers of vision care! Some sleaze bag ophthalmologist is always available, it seems, to prostitute his license and his professional ethics. Maybe it was "Larry Nassar, M.D.?" What a farce.

This system works nearly flawlessly. I have used mine for almost 10 years. Redo rate is maybe 1%.
    Bull-freaking-crap.

It is explained to the potential client as being a non medical exam. No determination of eye health. The client must sign a waiver stating that the procedure is strictly used to determine a prescription for eyeglasses or contact lenses.
    "Non-medical exam". That, sir, is a contradiction in terms.

a. It certainly is NOT a medical exam. It's not any kind of an exam. It's a "non" exam. Why bother calling it an exam?

When some auto mechanic hooks up a computer to your engine, is that a "non-medical exam", too?

b. The procedure is used to temporarily bridge the gap between glasses being Rx and non-Rx.

c. I could author a Rx with my license with any information or no information, at all. Garbage in, garbage out. "Clients" are being ripped off by this. You can get a new grad OD to really examine your eye for about $40. Money well spent.

d. Just rid yourself of the pretense. This is a "fake exam". Who are you trying to fool with all the lingo, and dog-and-pony shows? Buy a freaking autorefractor and let everyone belly up to it, and make glasses off the print out.
    Last edited by drk; 02-09-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Thread Information