Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Has sight testing been harmful to optometrists in BC?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IMHO, OD’s shackled themselves with some of their own rules and regs. You can delegate pre-tests but not refractions. In almost, (if not all states) OD’s have to perform that test themselves while OMD’s can delegate staff to perform that end of the test. Delegation of duties is the main reason OMD’s can see and book many, many more patients a day. If you, as an OD want to grow your practice and see more patients you have to hire or partner with another expensive doctor.

You guys are highly trained to perform complex medical exams. OD’s should be able to delegate and write-off on your trained personnel.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Old laws, written by state boards from a different era. Some rules written by PP ODs on the board to police the profession from the outside. Stupid stuff by today's standards.

Not so with MDs, who have been large and in charge forever, and probably always will be and more power to them.

The delegation issue is non-existent, however. That's not a real life issue at all.

What's more, a vast majority of ODs would prefer to refract. It's kind of what we're good at.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    What's more, a vast majority of ODs would prefer to refract. It's kind of what we're good at.
    Agree, so let the opticians do the selling of glasses. It's what they do best.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Who is stopping them?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    is costco an optician or an optometrist? how about warby parker, which are they? and zenni? walmart? are they both? just wondering.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    While optometrists and opticians argue about who should do ONLY eye exams and NOT sell glasses, and who should have EXCLUSIVE domain over selling eyeglasses and contact lenses (total nonsense of course) the biggest RETAILER of eyeglasses on this particular planet is NEITHER an optometrist nor an optician. Leonardo Del Vecchio would LAUGH HYSTERICALLY at this thread. Chris and all his (and other's) "OPTOMETRISTS MUST ONLY DO EYE EXAMS" utter nonsense posts totally miss the ELEPHANT crapping in the room, namely, LUXOTTICA who sells at RETAIL all the glasses one could dream of, and is NOT AN OPTICIAN and NOT AN OPTOMETRIST. Please. Thread over. Officailly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chris - for all your posting about HUGE MULTIPLIERS taken by optometrists - how about Luxottica and Essilor's "Mutlipliers"??? They manufacture and retail eyewear. You think my EBITDA is anything similar to Essiliux? What is your MUTLIPLIER selling micro tints and other chemicals? You sell for cost plus a few pennies? What is the markup on your chemicals? Just wondering....who the arbiter of what "multiple" is accpetable....let me know at your earliest convenience please. How about opticians? do they work on super narrow markups and "multiples" ? thanks in advance for adding some clarity. Again, thread officially over!....for now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chris you should sell your chemicals at cost plus a fitting fee, a small amount for your expertise. This is the future of chemicals selling, as people will buy all chemicals from chemicals.com .. ,maybe a dollar or two ? what do you think is fair?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chris - my lawyer charges around $275 per hour ( I think a lawyer's hour is about 42 minutes, sort of like a 1 hour tv show, gotta account for commmercials) and I think ophthalmologists in my neck of the woods get around $90 or so for a patient visit (5 minutes? 10?) .... just wondering, what is their "multiplier"? is this a good and fair mutliplier? Does my rent get figured into my multiplier? my assistant's salaries? What is Warby Parker's multiplier? My kid is in McGill Management, I asked him to ask his professor what my Multiplier should be. I'll get back to you with answers ASAP.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    go ahead DRK , you have the floor.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    I have an optician and we work together, as it should be.

But we don't "sell glasses" in my practice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Professional providers are still sales people. The product or service provided in exchange for payment is a sale and we are people. We are all one, so no need to be ashamed.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Does your optician receive money from patients and provide them with glasses commensurate to those fees? If so, s/he sells glasses.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't see it that way.

"Selling" is very little of what we do, if at all.

Are you "sold" treatment for hypertension? If so, then yeah, we sell.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Online glasses delivered are a semi-finished product.................................

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

Chris - my lawyer charges around $275 per hour ( I think a lawyer's hour is about 42 minutes, sort of like a 1 hour tv show, just wondering, what is their "multiplier"? is this a good and fair mutliplier?

What is Warby Parker's multiplier? My kid is in McGill Management, I asked him to ask his professor what my Multiplier should be. I'll get back to you with answers ASAP.

Your kid will come back from McGills Management course with the following answer:

1. You figure your personal works multiplier according to professional degrees and ability for the work done on a patient.

2. if your office works on new glasses, as lab work on lenses from surfacing to grinding inserting and checking you calculate the selling price including a decent profit, or you go to 3.

3. if you purchase the finished glasses from an outside laboratory who does all the work, you should not be entitled to a use multiple markup of one, because you did nothing else than checking the incoming Rx and adjust them on the patient.

Now that the merger of Essilor and Lux, who own the largest group of online opticals, and with that also the greatest benefactors of you colleges, you will face a very new period of adaptation of your professional life.

You can easily change and lower your selling pricing, and up your professional ones.

The only losers in that type of competing will be the dispensing opticians that took the easy way of not doing their lab work on site. I am referring to the way the optical retrail is handled in Europe, were opticians purchase finished or surfaced lenses from their labs.

Online glasses delivered are a semi-finished product. They have not been checked for the prescription and they have not been adjusted to the consumers face. They have to rely on the maybe fit or not fit, and have to go to an optician who will adjust them for a charge, or some good prayers at church, and will buy that pair again next time.

The new generation that enters advance age is now fully internet savvy, no wonder that *Toys-R-Us* just went bankrupt and Amazone want buy the locations for their food stores online business.

I might not be fully right but I can see the direction we are heading very clear.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper

If you have an optician and work together, you are selling glasses ............................

Which one pays the other,.............or which one pays more taxes ?

Thread Information