Thread: Reading Ground-In Prism

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Reading Ground-In Prism

When I verify vertical prism in a lens (e.g. 1 pd BU), should I be able to see that prism in the lensometer regardless of where on the lens that I'm checking? For example, should I see vertical prism even if I'm not directly on the patient's designated optical center since it's supposed to be ground-in prism rather than prism from decentration?

Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If there is no power in the lens, only prism, it will be as you suggest. If there is a minus or plus power (or cyl) it will read the same as a decentered stock lens, because for all intents and purposes it is exactly the same!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to add to Tallboy's response that prism is at it's best efficiency when positioned well. Rotational and beveling position on lens edge can influence the quality/quantity of prism function. Kinda like trying to get 0.25 cyl axis read in lensometer
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Why would having power change the lensometer reading? Is it because I would be inducing decentered prism into the reading depending on where on the lens that I'm taking the reading?

If so, then how can I "insure" that the patient is getting the correct amount of prism other than, I guess, making sure that he/she is looking through the optical center? Also, even if there is power in the lens, should I still be able to read the prescribed prism at the patient's optical center? Maybe optical center is not the correct term. How can I "insure" that the patient is receiving the prism through where his/her pupils are looking through the lens (the pupillary axis)? Also, should I be able to read the prescribed prism where the pupils are looking through the lens?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    If there is no power in the lens, only prism, it will be as you suggest. If there is a minus or plus power (or cyl) it will read the same as a decentered stock lens, because for all intents and purposes it is exactly the same!
    Last edited by Neophyte Optician; 12-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte Optician View Post
    Why would having power change the lensometer reading? Is it because I would be inducing decentered prism into the reading depending on where on the lens that I'm taking the reading?

If so, then how can I "insure" that the patient is getting the correct amount of prism other than, I guess, making sure that he/she is looking through the optical center? Also, even if there is power in the lens, should I still be able to read the prescribed prism at the patient's optical center? Maybe optical center is not the correct term. How can I "insure" that the patient is receiving the prism through where his/her pupils are looking through the lens (the pupillary axis)? Also, should I be able to read the prescribed prism where the pupils are looking through the lens?

Thanks!
    If you ordered the spex with a specified OC Ht, yes. If not, you will need to read it at the datum. You will also need to “anchor” the reading by determining the lens with the highest power at the 90. If the lens w/o prism has the highest power at the 90, spot it and without moving the table, check the other. If the lens with the highest power at the 90 is the one with prescribed prism, then spot it with the 1D prism and without moving the table, check vertical on the other lens. This will tell you if the prism is correct. You will also need to compare it to ANSI.

This is is the best I can offer, as the RX has not been provided to us.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The Rx is: OD -7.00-0.75x135 with 1 pd BU
    OS -7.50 with 1 pd BU

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    If you ordered the spex with a specified OC Ht, yes. If not, you will need to read it at the datum. You will also need to “anchor” the reading by determining the lens with the highest power at the 90. If the lens w/o prism has the highest power at the 90, spot it and without moving the table, check the other. If the lens with the highest power at the 90 is the one with prescribed prism, then spot it with the 1D prism and without moving the table, check vertical on the other lens. This will tell you if the prism is correct. You will also need to compare it to ANSI.

This is is the best I can offer, as the RX has not been provided to us.

Occupation
    OS -7.50 with 1 pd BU

Thanks!
    Great. This helps. Spot the OS so it is centered in the reticle, as this is the higher RX @ the 90, then read the OD prism. If all is good, the OD should spot on the 1D (BU) grid on the reticle.

Since the powers are are very similar, there is minimal separation due to OC variance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OS -7.50 with 1 pd BU

Thanks!

Both eyes base up prism? Whom prescribed yolked prism?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Both eyes base up prism? Whom prescribed yolked prism?
    For some reason, I read this as prism on OD, not yoked. Been on PTO this week. Maybe my brain is a bit muddy?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    For some reason, I read this as prism on OD, not yoked. Been on PTO this week. Maybe my brain is a bit muddy?
    You may want to back off the Makers Mark and switch to Busch beer....Worked for me..

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Treat your local independent brewer as you would like them to treat their local independent eye care provider.

Quit feeding the (InBev) beast.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread is filled with typos! I recommend that everybody lay off the sauce for at least a couple of days.

Best regards,

Robert 'Snowman' Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information