Thread: Just hired as optical manager. Any tips/pointers?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused Just hired as optical manager. Any tips/pointers?

Hi everyone. I am new to the boards! I have been an optician for about 8 years now. I started at America's Best, moved on to a high end private practice, and then I became a lab manager for another private practice.

I was recently hired as an optical manager for a three store private practice. The owner is an ophthalmologist and she has an optometrist working for her. I am to manage all 3 stores, even though I will spend most days at one location as the stores only optician. The other 2 locations have their own opticians who are managed by me. I am very nervous because I have never managed anyone before and I am to make sure all 3 stores make $12,000 a month. This may prove difficult, because the locations are all in low income areas. Does anyone have any management tips for me? Any noob information will help, as I am new to management and I've never taken on such a major role before. Thanks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats on moving up the optical food chain! Just a few thoughts to share...

Treat your employees the way you would like to be treated.

Always lead by example ( take the trash out, vacuum, do the dirty jobs yourself, etc)

Have their back when/if SHTF.

Hire/surround yourself with self motivated people. Get rid of the losers, loafers, etc right off the bat. (Do take the time to figure who doesn’t fit with your vision of service, personality, knowledge, integrity or who’s not a team player. Attempt training these things, but realize when they are untrainable)

let them know how the company’s doing financially, down to the dollar. Owners and a lot of mangers don’t like or do this, but it’s a mistake not to. Most everybody understands a company has to make money to pay salaries. Many employees think the practice is rich! “Look how much money we took in today!” Outlay the costs to them, let them feel to be part of the family team. At that point it’s easier for them to see that raises can only come from more profit. Make sure the owner is on board with compensation for increased performance/profits.

Ultimately, you want your employees loyal to you, personally. You’re the face of the company.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Everything optical24/7 said. Exactly!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    is that NET or GROSS?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    is that NET or GROSS?
    Both. P&L.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You might just want to touch bases with the principals of the business before you divulge any financial data to the troops. Some business owners are sensitive about this info.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper I am to make sure all 3 stores make $12,000 a month ............................

I am to make sure all 3 stores make $12,000 a month. This may prove difficult, because the locations are all in low income areas. Does anyone have any management tips for me? Any noob information will help, as I am new to management and I've never taken on such a major role before.

Dick has a good point..........................

Also make sure on the pricing of the goods in that low income area. Do they purchase frames from high class suppliers and sell them at a lower gross profit or do they purchase at low pricing with a good markup and the same for lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I meant $12000/month gross revenue or $12000/month net after cost of goods. Chris makes a valid point. IF they wish to sell higher wholesale cost frames and lenses at a lower margin...the business plan will have to be focused on building and maintaining high pt volume.
    Last edited by tx11; 12-19-2017 at 02:31 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Optical 24/7! That is some very good info.

I need to make 12k gross per month. This is actually very low compared to what I've had to make back in my optical sales days. I have yet to start working, so I'm guessing the challenge is going to be the fact we have an optometrist 2 days out of the week, combined with the fact we are in a low income area. On the interview, the doctor made it sound like 12k a month would be a big improvement on what they are making now.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaglax View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Optical 24/7! That is some very good info.

I need to make 12k gross per month. This is actually very low compared to what I've had to make back in my optical sales days. I have yet to start working, so I'm guessing the challenge is going to be the fact we have an optometrist 2 days out of the week, combined with the fact we are in a low income area. On the interview, the doctor made it sound like 12k a month would be a big improvement on what they are making now.
    Assuming you are open 22 days a month, that's only $545.00 per day. One to 2 pair a day??? Somethings rotten in Denmark.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Assuming you are open 22 days a month, that's only $545.00 per day. One to 2 pair a day??? Somethings rotten in Denmark.

That's what I was thinking, but I guess they hired me to remedy this. I am up to the challenge, I just want to make sure I come into the practice making a good impression and with some type of game plan or information that will help me succeed.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaglax View Post
    That's what I was thinking, but I guess they hired me to remedy this. I am up to the challenge, I just want to make sure I come into the practice making a good impression and with some type of game plan or information that will help me succeed.
    I would check there frame selection and pricing. Also find out how many specs Rx's are being written per day average. Maybe too many walking with the RX's . Need to find out why? May be beyond your control.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    I would check there frame selection and pricing. Also find out how many specs Rx's are being written per day average. Maybe too many walking with the RX's . Need to find out why? May be beyond your control.
    Sounds a lot like a regional chain (23 locations) that I know of in Southern Il. and Mo. Most towns they are in are small, 7-14k populations. They advertise $39 complete kids, ft’s $59 and pal’s $79 complete. The only way to reasonably increase revenue is be good at up selling. The best way to do that is to create “want” instead of “need”. (Even Medicaid folks have $600 iPhones).

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    You might just want to touch bases with the principals of the business before you divulge any financial data to the troops. Some business owners are sensitive about this info.
    Absolutely Dick! Owners have to be on board with the management style I described. If not, they wouldn’t be a good fit for this type of management system. But, for me, if I don’t have total control of my department, I’m not the manager of it, I’m a supervisor.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sounds like you have received some awesome advice. Since you have experience in selling, train your people to sell, take care of the patients. You mentioned that it is in a low income area. Do not assume that you can not sell as much in a low income. Glasses are like jewelry on your face, everyone loves jewelry no matter what the income. Hopefully, their are frames priced accordingly to see to everyone's income.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Talk to your frame reps about getting discontinued product at a discount. That can be the absolute bread and butter of a practice looking to grow.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by a/r girl View Post
    Glasses are like jewelry on your face
    I like this, I'm stealing this and sticking it in my optical spiel.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Thread Information