Thread: Hard VS soft PALS

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hard VS soft PALS

What's the difference? can anyone link me to a document on what this term means? I don't know if it effects the horizontal or the vertical? but also, like, what brands use which design? I'd like more info just out of general curiosity, but the reason this has been in my brain lately is semi specific as well....

Basically, at my current position working for a subcontracted vendor at the VA, I've been experiencing a few cases of what seems sorta like PAL non adapt but in people that have worn them jus fine earlier. And I'm not talking about them going form a Physio DRX to some no name PAL either, when I look at their old pair its also some no name PAL too, so I don't know what's going on.

Some of them are claiming the usual increase n distortion with a narrow visual field, etc, but the really weird cases are when they're saying the floor I coming at them or they have to raise their chin to read, BUT he RX hasn't changed, the frame size is about the same, and the PAL is in the same spot as before. This is what's causing me to wonder about hard VS soft PAL's and if one manufacturer is using more thinning prism than the other or if one power corridor is 'quicker'; or something. what the hell else could it be? what's the best way to check things like this can I use a lensometer or am I just supposed to know based o brand o something?

Any insight is greatly appreciated, this is one of those tings that's just sitting on my brain keeping me up night. Plus really just want to help these guys see.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they are having to raise their chin to read, probably its set too low. Most progressives work best set at pupil center. Make sure the frame is fitting right and nose pads are adjusted and use a penlight to mark the pupil where the corneal reflex is. Also make sure you are level with the patient- not higher or lower.

If the floor seems to be coming up at them try tipping the bottom of the frame closer to their cheeks. Also try curving the front of the glasses in at the sides if they are noticing blur.

In hard designs the blend areas are smaller and more concentrated. In soft designs they are spread out a bit more. Generally people do better with softer designs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    VA as in VAMC?
    You're NEVER going to happy 100% satisfaction from that group.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

lab

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiioptician View Post
    What's the difference? can anyone link me to a document on what this term means? I don't know if it effects the horizontal or the vertical? but also, like, what brands use which design? I'd like more info just out of general curiosity, but the reason this has been in my brain lately is semi specific as well....

Basically, at my current position working for a subcontracted vendor at the VA, I've been experiencing a few cases of what seems sorta like PAL non adapt but in people that have worn them jus fine earlier. And I'm not talking about them going form a Physio DRX to some no name PAL either, when I look at their old pair its also some no name PAL too, so I don't know what's going on.

Some of them are claiming the usual increase n distortion with a narrow visual field, etc, but the really weird cases are when they're saying the floor I coming at them or they have to raise their chin to read, BUT he RX hasn't changed, the frame size is about the same, and the PAL is in the same spot as before. This is what's causing me to wonder about hard VS soft PAL's and if one manufacturer is using more thinning prism than the other or if one power corridor is 'quicker'; or something. what the hell else could it be? what's the best way to check things like this can I use a lensometer or am I just supposed to know based o brand o something?

Any insight is greatly appreciated, this is one of those tings that's just sitting on my brain keeping me up night. Plus really just want to help these guys see.
    I would call the lab you use. They should be the quickest route to the questions you have and much better than just hearing our "general" answers which it seems you may already know.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    To answer your initial question. Generally speaking, a hard design lens is one that has equal or greater amounts of unwanted cylinder to add power and a soft design has less unwanted cylinder to add power. In other words, if you have a lens with a 2:00 add, a soft design would have less than two diopters of unwanted cylinder present in the lens. A lens with a 2:00 add that has 2:00 diopters or more of unwanted cylinder is considered to be a hard design.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hawaiioptician-
    Here's the thread you need.

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...ountain+design

Anytime you see Sharpstick777 post- Read it! Optical gold!!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If someone is used to soft design, will it be harder to adapt when switching to hard design? I'm trying to fit a person with a sedentary lifestyle, eye mover and with high addition. Some people would recommend hard over soft in this case but what if the client has always had soft before?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Airegin View Post
    If someone is used to soft design, will it be harder to adapt when switching to hard design? I'm trying to fit a person with a sedentary lifestyle, eye mover and with high addition. Some people would recommend hard over soft in this case but what if the client has always had soft before?
    Here's another thread- Pay particular attention to posts number 30 & 31.

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...ecommendation/

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Here's another thread- Pay particular attention to posts number 30 & 31.

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...ecommendation/
    That's not much help lol.

Is Hoya Summit ECP even hard design or both hard and soft combined? Can't find much info on that compared to ID Lifestyle or Mystyle. Then again, the Lifestyle is supposedly softer with lower adds and harder with high adds.

I wish I could figure this out but looks like no one really knows. I could just sell the more expensive Mystyle to everyone but since that's an ultrasoft design I'm not sure it's a good fit for everyone.
    Last edited by Airegin; 03-07-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Thread Information