Thread: ID Mystyle 2

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

ID Mystyle 2

Hello,
    I hope this question makes sense. In regards to the ID Mystyle 2, this lens is suppose to be a very custom lens based on 15 questions you ask your customer. The questions address activities like the importance and length of time people spend on the computer, reading, performing outdoor activities, and domestic duties etc.
    -I am told that these questions determine where the distortions are placed within the lens, and customize it further than simply choosing a corridor. (there are 3 to choose from)
    How do these questions further customize the lens other than choosing a corridor? I'm told they determine where the distortions are placed, and it is more elaborate than simply determining corridor (which generally effects where distortions are).
    Can anyone clarify this for me?
    Thank you!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way I understand it is that the questionnaire helps to determine not WHERE the distortions are placed, but how the curves are blended.

For instance, a sedentary patient who spends about an hour reading the newspaper and needs to read medicine labels will likely have a much harder lens design (wider reading area, more intense distortion peaks). Conversely, someone like a truck driver who moves their head consistently and dynamically throughout their day will likely be more comfortable in a softer design (smaller reading area, but smoother curves and less intense distortion peaks).

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    When we talk hard and soft design, are we not talking about corridors? Short being harder and longer being softer? Also if this is a high end newer lens even if it is short corridor, shall it not be improved from a harder design to softer because of newer technology?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, we are talking about corridors, but more the width than the length. You can order a soft lens design with a short corridor, but they tend to be more effective at doing what they are designed to do with longer corridors. Harder designs tend to have wider areas of clear vision, but with more intense distortions peripherally. Softer designs tend to have narrower areas of clear vision in the corridor, but much softer distortions. It all boils down to personal preference which works better, hence the questionnaire.

Just because something "has new technology" doesn't necessarily give an exact prediction of how well it will perform against another lens type. The human element will always be a factor.

Thread Information