Thread: Have a Seiko frame, think is interesting. Titanium. Fully-rimmed. Flex Action temples

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up Have a Seiko frame, think is interesting. Titanium. Fully-rimmed. Flex Action temples

Hello All,

It's been quite some time since I posted anything on OptiBoard. But here I am with a new frame that I have been using for almost a month. I thought people here might be interested, because it's kind of unusual in the way the temples are constructed.

The frame, which is part of the SEIKO TITANIUM FRAMES 2015 CATALOG, is the T1043. It's a men's style frame. It's part of what Seiko calls the "criteria" collection, which is supposed to tie in with the Seiko Criteria wristwatch line. The frame, which is all titanium and fully rimmed, has three-barrel hinges and a fairly robust looking lens locking setup. That's all very conventional. The screw fasteners have Cross Slot or Phillips-style heads.

The unusual feature is the way that the temples are designed. According to Seiko, "the Flex Action model with the temples cut by a wire cutter has both surprising flexibility and a delicate design." It has a kind of metal watchband look to it. So the temples are kind of "springy." Flexible feeling. I like the way that this frame fits and feels. It feels very robust, like a frame that should wear well and stay usable for a long time.

The frame has three color options. Gold. Silver. IP Soft Gray. "IP" for Ion Plating. That's what i have. IP Soft Gray. Just looking at it indoors here, under home fluorescent overhead lighting, it looks to my eyes more like a bronze or a muted brown. I have some photo images posted online.

Seiko T0143 (catalog page)
    https://imgur.com/0OdDyxy

Seiko T1043 (brochure, shows off frame design)
    https://imgur.com/XTD5VjF

Seiko "criteria" collection
    https://imgur.com/YSCmV4x

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Welcome back !

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dawg! Welcome back!!

Beware of the flex potential to catch long hair if it is flexed when worn. Carried them for a while but didn't sell well and changed them out for other more conventional styles which move better in my neck of the woods.

Also some Seiko observations-

Do not try to change the temple. Get a whole frame. They put an almost foil thin washer on the top and bottom of the temples barrel and it's a bear to assemble if/when one drops out.

Otherwise I like the line. Very nice price point for the quality and great customer service.

Keep the faith!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hello..!

I have been looking out at the world for more than a year of all day, every day wear with Progressive Addition Lenses mounted in this same fully rimmed Seiko Titanium frame, T1043 from their 2015 catalog.

I think it's the most usable frame that I have ever owned. There are no visible aspects of wear that I can see. All of the metal surfaces, the plastic nosepads and the plastic temple ends that rest on my ears are still looking brand new. I have not ever perceived a need to reshape it for comfort since the first day that I had it. I have never had to retighten either of the eye-wire or lens locking screws. From time to time I like to retighten one or the other (or both) of the hinge screws, to eliminate that loose or "floppy" swiveling action of the earpieces, but the last time I felt a need for that was September 15--over four months ago.

I swab the lenses and the entire frame, or at least the frame front and nosepads, every two or three days or maybe almost every day with lens cleaning fluid and cloth.

I have no complaints about this frame.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-28-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another reason to travel overseas:

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...t=Seiko+Frames

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are you aware that Seiko (owned by Hoya) went out of the frame business on Jan 1, 2019. They let us know 2 weeks before this date. Even the sales reps were stunned.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Seiko is alive and well outside of North America.

Thread Information