Thread: Issues with previous owner/Optometrist, legal/business guidance.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Issues with previous owner/Optometrist, legal/business guidance.

Done venting
    Last edited by 94NDTA; 08-16-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Here is some vent advice ...........................................

Quote Originally Posted by 94NDTA View Post

I am looking for a little guidance with my current situation and venting a little bit at the same time.

..............................The retiring doctor opens a new shop in town. His last day as joint owner, the retiring doctor cancels our Internet, cancels the phone number (which we can no longer get back) steals the website and Facebook page, which were part of the transaction. Retiring doctor steals the schedule and uses it as his own at his new location.

Fast forward a few weeks, and we start getting angry phone calls from people. The retiring doctor is telling patients he is seeing that we are illegally contacting them even though there files and appointments are at our location.

To cap it off, the retiring doctor just sent out a letter stating that they simply sold their location and not the practice, stating that all of the patients records are with them (which is not true, we have all their records as part of the sale minus the few never returned to us).

Thanks for the vent/advice

Every story like this one, has two sides, and you let us only have one of them.

The retiring doctor could not have stolen his own website and Facebook page, as well as the telephone numbers as they were in his name and no transfer had been made.

It looks like your remaining doctors thought they could get the place for a steal, because the previous owner was sick and old, or both.

Obviously no proper legal arrangements were made for this sale or he could not have done, or wanted to do what he did.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

The retiring doctor could not have stolen his own website and Facebook page, as well as the telephone numbers as they were in his name and no transfer had been made.

It looks like your remaining doctors thought they could get the place for a steal, because the previous owner was sick and old, or both.

Obviously no proper legal arrangements were made for this sale or he could not have done, or wanted to do what he did.
    Your response perfectly outlines the issues we are having. Any response we have is going to make us look bad, or fall on deaf ears.

Proper legal arrangements were made, currently there is a legal battle taking place for the parts of the transaction that were not fulfilled on the previous owners. It was clearly defined that the websites and Facebook page remain part of the business and be transferred. Most people assume (me included) that a doctor would not do such things, even if the have contractual obligation.

These are the facts you have been given, I’m sorry the other party is not here to voice their side of the story, but I am looking for assistance using the facts that are presented to you. If you don’t believe me, at least pretend, hypothetically, that what I am saying is true.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! That's horrible! I can just say to continue the high road and keep professional around patients. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.

Occupation
    Might be a good time to update the old resume; just in case.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Documents and legal agreements aren't magical. A proper sale doesn't stop people from doing illegal things. It sounds to me like the company's Facebook page and website were part of the legal sale, but the old doc still had the login information. That's basically hacking.

This story is crazy. There are some real wackadoos in this business. I know of one doctor who used to turn all his faucets on and leave them running over holiday weekends because water was part of his rent, and he wanted to stick it to the landlords. He also used to trap and kill squirrels and throw them onto the roof of the building next door.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Something went wrong during or after the ownership transfer ........................

Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post

This story is crazy. There are some real wackadoos in this business. I know of one doctor who used to turn all his faucets on and leave them running over holiday weekends because water was part of his rent, and he wanted to stick it to the landlords. He also used to trap and kill squirrels and throw them onto the roof of the building next door.

The doctor in question as far as | understand was sick and also old and wanted to retire from his super running business.

Something went wrong during or after the ownership transfer, that we know nothing of, to start up again in another location.

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sorry you all are having problems. A lesson to be learned is that in any change in ownership or even in changing employees, immediately change the locks, passwords, bank accounts, and information with the utilities companies. Set up new accounts with vendors so you are not responsible for past debts.

What a mess

Thread Information