Thread: Vision Ease or VisionEase

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vision Ease or VisionEase

I searched both formats and almost nothing pops up about this company other than a short thread on their mycoat machine. I'm curious to hear your opinions and experience with their products, customer service, etc.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedeye View Post

I searched both formats and almost nothing pops up about this company other than a short thread on their mycoat machine. I'm curious to hear your opinions and experience with their products, customer service, etc.
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
    Web Server at dev.Visionease.com

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Awesome customer service. My rep is extremely helpful, involved, yet not pushy. Can't promise that that is true across the board.

Products are good- I just don't find myself using the semi-finished items very often. They have higher ranges available for stuff like flat-tops and they carry SFSV with three mirror coat options which are super handy. The product I use most is the Vela line. Really great deal on stock poly and poly AR. Good quality AR for that matter.

New products are not coming out very fast- though I attribute that to Hoya's buying them. Once the dust is settled, I hope things get back on track.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Awesome customer service. My rep is extremely helpful, involved, yet not pushy. Can't promise that that is true across the board.

Products are good- I just don't find myself using the semi-finished items very often. They have higher ranges available for stuff like flat-tops and they carry SFSV with three mirror coat options which are super handy. The product I use most is the Vela line. Really great deal on stock poly and poly AR. Good quality AR for that matter.

New products are not coming out very fast- though I attribute that to Hoya's buying them. Once the dust is settled, I hope things get back on track.
    Not sure what your reply means, Chris.

And Quince.....your signature says you hate poly. Are you not serious when you say that? Cuz you like VE stock poly? :D

Occupation
    No, my personal opinions about poly does not mean I don't offer it. I would have a heck of a hard time convincing the owner to go along with my personal vendetta. I am serious about their Vela being a solid product. 2 year warranty on the lenses with a good coating at a great price. They also offer a super-hydro version which I would be using if my old and decrepit edger could handle it.

Unfortunately for me, many of their products are poly only (Coppertone polarized, SFSV mirrors polarized) but they do offer such gems as 1.70 which is a plus!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd like to hear your poly opinion(s) :D

I run their Shar vela poly on an older kappa edger-I used anti-slip pads and have almost no slippage ever.

Occupation
    My reasons for not liking poly started with its low abbe value. I know there are people who believe this is a moot point, and I do understand that not everyone is sensitive to this factor, but I do factor it in while fitting patients depending on their Rx. I'm certainly not a fan that many people like to up-charge to poly for no reason other than profit.

Then came Prop 65 and all its warnings of BPA in poly. Another reason to not want to process it in my book. If I don't want a certain material / chemical in my water bottle, I certainly don't want to expose myself to it all day.

Back to VE- We started selling the super-hydro a few years ago and really liked them except for our slippage issues. We tried everything. It has come down to that it is 'Us not Them.' I believe this. The super-hydro is barely more in cost and we can run it when using Traction Control from Dynamics. The spray is expensive though and somewhat time consuming to let it set so we tend to go with the regular AR.

Poly has its place in the world- safety eyewear, high Rx with little money to put into lenses, and availability in specialty lenses. I'm not saying it should never be used- just that it shouldn't be the 'go to' lens option. But that's just my opinion thanks for asking!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for elaborating! Are you mainly a Trivex guy then? Have you seen that Trivex vs. Poly video that was posted a week ago or so?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh! And when you say you have a VE rep......you have a rep that comes in person? Monthly? Quarterly?

We just have a rep that never comes but we can call.....not my favorite.

Occupation
    I've been meaning to watch that. I do follow Laramy-K and OpticianWorks. I do like Trivex and 1.6 but honestly I like to fit CR39 when I can. If the Rx is high enough that a well fit frame can't keep the patient in CR39 then I lean towards Trivex or 1.6 depending on other factors. We have run a couple Tribrid jobs and I hope to incorporate that more in the future.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ok, cool. Did you see my rep question?

Occupation
    My rep does not visit in person which would be nice a couple times a year. She calls as she has news about new product or to follow up on things I might have asked her to look into. She's very on top of this stuff without calling without reason just to remind me she exists. Our conversations are pleasant without that fakeness you get from people trying to sell you something you don't need.

As I mentioned before- definitely can't guarantee other reps are as easy going. I had one rep from Younger who was my favorite and did visit (and brought pistachios at Christmas) but he left to work for a Dr's office five minutes from his house. Understandable. My point was that my VE rep is my new fave because she doesn't push her product- just informs.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great :D

Do you use their Venue lab at all?

Occupation
    No, I run a surfacing lab and we outsource with Cherry, Hoya, and sometimes Optogenics.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya=VE now? ;)

Occupation
    True. Hoya bought them but says it's just so Big E can't.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I do like Trivex and 1.6 but honestly I like to fit CR39 when I can...............

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

I do like Trivex and 1.6 but honestly I like to fit CR39 when I can. If the Rx is high enough that a well fit frame can't keep the patient in CR39 then I lean towards Trivex or 1.6 depending on other factors. We have run a couple Tribrid jobs and I hope to incorporate that more in the future.

Quince..................I like your general opinion on poly.

I still remember the days when in the 1970-80s, LensCrafters forced parents to sign a release of LensCrafters responsibility if a kid would get injured by a breaking CR39 lens if they did not pay to upgrade to Polycarbonate lenses.

They treated CR39 as if it were a glass lens material,and made big time money that way.

Polycarbonate is still the cheapest and most common plastic material for any cheap household items, however in the optical trade it has become a more expensive upgrade.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Quince..................I like your general opinion on poly.

I still remember the days when in the 1970-80s, LensCrafters forced parents to sign a release of LensCrafters responsibility if a kid would get injured by a breaking CR39 lens if they did not pay to upgrade to Polycarbonate lenses.

They treated CR39 as if it were a glass lens material,and made big time money that way.

Polycarbonate is still the cheapest and most common plastic material for any cheap household items, however in the optical trade it has become a more expensive upgrade.

It's true Chris- when we know that in some cases poly can be the cheaper option, why do we charge more? Especially since the upgrade to trivex is usually minimally more for the patient, though anyone in manufacturing knows the adjustment isn't appropriate per cost. It just rubs me the wrong way.

I do still put minors in impact resistant lenses whether it be poly or trivex and think that is an important practice. I don't have a set age to that rule though- I like to discuss it with the parents and the kid to gauge that factor.

Thread Information