Thread: Silhouette? What's your opinion of them?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Silhouette? What's your opinion of them?

Right now we carry Lindberg and Airlocks with a few others like the odd Ray Ban. They are all decent but we don't sell a lot of them.

Those of of you who sell Silhouettes- what is your opinion of them? Do they hold up well? Are they easy to adjust and put together? Decent styles? Easy company to work with?

i also notice that Silhouette has some very thin plastic frames that look nice. Opinions?

Thanks for any help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By far, they're not our biggest seller, but they come with good warranties, and are relatively easy to put together and adjust. Because you can only get plugs in one size, they wont handle high myopes very effectively. Their full plastic frames are nice, but they have a little higher of a cost then a lot of other brands. most patients that try them, do enjoy the lightness of them. We find women get silhouettes more often then men for sure.
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Silhouettes are by far one of my favorite brands of rimless glasses. Like Mc said above, great warranties, easy to adjust, bad for high myopes and I'd like to add, hypo-allergenic, shape customizations are nearly limitless, and in some models their temple size can reach 160mm and dbl 21mm.

It sells very well at the offices I have carried it at, however, much like it is our job to educate our patients on lens technology etc., I would get with your Silhouette rep and have that person educate YOU first regarding the dynamics of their frame line and technology. Once I did that over a decade ago, it was easier to sell them. Oh yeah, and their customized polarized clip option is fantastic.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

plugs in one size

Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post
    By far, they're not our biggest seller, but they come with good warranties, and are relatively easy to put together and adjust. Because you can only get plugs in one size, they wont handle high myopes very effectively. Their full plastic frames are nice, but they have a little higher of a cost then a lot of other brands. most patients that try them, do enjoy the lightness of them. We find women get silhouettes more often then men for sure.
    Not sure if we got them from Silhouette but we did a -9 in a silh frame and we were able to get longer plugs (bushings is what we call them). Again I'm not sure if they were from silh but they would have been the first ppl we asked.

I currently sell and wear silhs......Some of the models I love and some I hate. They have many different styles and the ones I hate are the ones that are not easily adjustable. I simply will not carry them in our office or ever recommend them if our manager does end up bringing them in. I've heard the quality of Lindberg far surpasses Silhouette but so does the price.......

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not familiar with Lindberg or Airlocks, so I can't give you a direct comparison, but Silhouette is better than any other drill mount line that I've worked with. Line Art from Charmant is a close second. If you have a new set of tools that come from Silhouette, taking apart and putting together is quick and painless. I quantify "new" here because the older tools that they had were a little bit of a struggle at times. Customization options are nigh endless and that's a big plus too.

I'm not as big a fan of their nylor frames, I feel like they're a touch too flimsy and sometimes that causes lenses to not fit properly or fall out easily, restrings to be much more of a pain, adjustments to be more difficult, etc. But they still have their place.

Their plastics are the best (excuse the hyperbole). I wear one at around a -10.00 OU, and it is the most lightweight and comfortable frame I've ever owned in my life. Can't say enough about them. Super easy to adjust, super durable. Patients always go nuts if you take the demo lenses out and tie the frame in a knot to show off the flex plastic.

Sometimes it is a little difficult to do warranties and exchanges, but that could also be an issue that is unique to our office, your experience may differ.

I agree with King as well, definitely make sure you get your rep to educate you on each of the different lines. Maybe set some time aside to really get into the behind-the-scenes work like adjustments and assembly and you'll have a much easier time dispensing them.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Right now we carry Lindberg and Airlocks with a few others like the odd Ray Ban. They are all decent but we don't sell a lot of them.

Those of of you who sell Silhouettes- what is your opinion of them? Do they hold up well? Are they easy to adjust and put together? Decent styles? Easy company to work with?

I also notice that Silhouette has some very thin plastic frames that look nice. Opinions?

Thanks for any help.
    Some-what fallen in sales as they've been unfortunately deemed old fashioned- but we still do well with the line. You'll need to put in a fairly large initial order but we've always had great rep service on a personal level and generous (2 year no questions) warranty when needed. We carry 4 trays of 8 drilled styles per tray. The rep helps keep the line current as new styles come out with almost mind boggling frequency. I think it would be a mistake to put in fewer than 32 pieces as the line needs to have a variation in lens shapes and few pieces wouldn't allow that. I prefer the hinged for patient convenience in putting them on. They have a weak point in some of the hinge designs but it's not too expensive to replace that part if they're out of warranty.

Bushing do come in standard and extra long for the rare patient who doesn't care about thickness. The bushings come in 2 types. The PLS 40 has a softer feel while the PLS 58 is harder. You'll need tools. 2 types of compression pliers, a removal cutter and a sizing cutter for extended bushings which you trim or some of us just use a razor flush to the surface.

The SPX plastics are terrific for patients who want an elegant soft looking plastic. They flatter a large face and come in larger sizes. The new line of plastics doesn't seem to do as well but they have a hefty price point.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Love them. They hold up well and have a lot available as far as shapes, sizes, chassis, colors and clips. I personally love them and wear them. I had part of my temporalis and mastoid removed, so I love the feel of them. Only company I wear!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    They are by far the easiest drill mount line I've ever worked with. They sell consistently, if not exactly flying off the shelf. Big initial investment, but worth it over time, absolutely.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information