Thread: This isn't the frame I chose

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This isn't the frame I chose

What do you do when a patient picks up their glasses and says "These aren't the right frames"?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Have your patient's initial the frame choice.........................................

Quote Originally Posted by 50boiledcabbages View Post

What do you do when a patient picks up their glasses and says "These aren't the right frames"?

Have your patient's initial the frame choice, color and size on his/her record at point of sale and you can always refer to that confirmation.

Clean and easy.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Laugh it off. Then make sure that all of the information does in fact match. Maybe they took a picture with their smartphone they can reference? If they are adamant that that is not the frame they chose- time for a 1-time restyle.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Maybe seen this a total of three times in 14 years. Usually its a case of the patient having buyers remorse or, the patient tried on every single pair of glasses in your office and is having a hard time remembering which frame they chose from the frame mountain they built.

It has become a habit of mine to set aside all the glasses a patient tried on completely away from us, showing them their final pick and asking them to confirm their choice.

Try to gauge which situation it actually is, most lab's offer one free Doctors redo, if you must change the frame. Chris' idea works too, if this problem becomes more frequent.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As a closed loop lab, I see this more often than I care to. I see these type of redos even after the optician documents the frame choice in the notes. Much to my chagrin, I sometimes see the redo as lab provided incorrect frame. I have access to their POS system and can see the original invoice. Ha!

I chalk this issue up to confusion after trying on multiple frames. This applies to both the optician and the patient. Lost in translation. Documentation seldom works in a “customer is always right” world.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    As a closed loop lab, I see this more often than I care to. I see these type of redos even after the optician documents the frame choice in the notes. Much to my chagrin, I sometimes see the redo as lab provided incorrect frame. I have access to their POS system and can see the original invoice. Ha!

I chalk this issue up to confusion after trying on multiple frames. This applies to both the optician and the patient. Lost in translation. Documentation seldom works in a “customer is always right” world.

+1

We stamp "Patient Declined Warranty" for insurance jobs, on the physical order that gets written up with​ the patient, when applicable- and even that gets questioned.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 50boiledcabbages View Post

we take everyones picture on our Visioffice and label them so i can always refer back to it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the opinions. Probably will end up allowing the reselect. Jtrain what do you do when you find out that the patient is just using that excuse for buyers remorse?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    IF the patient comes out and says its buyer remorse i will do what i can to fix the situation. If their playing games i don't play back. the truth will set you free.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    how about....when you use a patients OWN frame...and they insist,when you are dispensing it,that this is not the their frame,this is not the frame they gave you(and 98% work is done inhouse)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    how about....when you use a patients OWN frame...and they insist,when you are dispensing it,that this is not the their frame,this is not the frame they gave you(and 98% work is done inhouse)
    For that, we definitely document the make & model of the frame as well as having the patient sign a POF (patient own frame) waiver. They can't really deny it if THEY signed it. That patient is clearly delusional.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Thread Information