Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varilux X

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Varilux X

Anyone have any personal experience with this lens? Is it really noticeably different? It's sounds really great and I was thinking about getting a pair for my husband.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No personal experience as yet. But every pt we've fit so far has raved about it. Granted, we've dispensed fewer than 20 so far, but they were all positive.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have chronicled a few of my fittings in the other thread. I'm switching a +4.25 OU +2.25 add to a physio W3 to see if she does better with a different design. She had been wearing tradional poly comforts, complains of peripheral vision distortion. At first she liked them. Maybe a patient thing, but the doc wanted to try a different design, because the RX wasn't changed very much.

We (though not I) also dispensed a -7.00 or so with cyl, she never came back so I expect she likes them.

I am about to do a double blind wearer trial with my partner doctor. Two of the same frames (in different colors of course) one with my favorite higher end house design and one with the Varliux X.

I will be interested in what she says, is one better than the other, and if so is it so much better that she would pay an extra 250 dollars for it.

She is about a -4.00 in each eye with about -1.75 cyl @ 178 give or take. +1.75 add, standard fit.

I will report back with her experience. I'm still waiting on getting in the Xs. I will be edging both, but will not be in the room when she tries them, neither her nor the dispenser will know which is which (I told them NO CHEATING!)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tallboy, I will be be interested in her experience with these lenses.

Personally, I can wear wear almost any progressive easily. There have just been a couple I didn't like. So for myself I just get cheap progressives(unless I cam score a free expensive one) but I get good AR.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Tallboy, I will be be interested in her experience with these lenses.

Personally, I can wear wear almost any progressive easily. There have just been a couple I didn't like. So for myself I just get cheap progressives(unless I cam score a free expensive one) but I get good AR.
    I've finished the double blind portion of of my Doctor's wearer trial. I'm letting her wear them one more week knowing what they are now. I have a few other people who will be picking up, once I get a few more together I will post my results in this or the other thread.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tallboy, I did a very similar test with one of my doctors. She is a -5.75 -0.75 x 46, and a -6.00 -1.00 x 85 with a +1.00 Add. Being a Vision Source Practice, did one pair in the newest Vision source branded lens the Truclear XD2, the other was the Varilux X fit. Did POW measurements on both pairs. I really wanted her feed back since they are pushing us to use the XD2 because of profit margins.... 1.74 hi index transitions gry in both pairs.

She wore one pair for a week, not knowing which one it was, then wore the other pair for a week. She overwhelmingly preferred the Varilux X. She saw well out of the Truclear XD2 but her eyes were more comfortable in the X, at least that is the way she described it. She felt her intermediate was much wider in the X as well.

We have dispensed a number of the X now, and I have only had one patient that I ended switching back to a different lens. Mostly because he really preferred a much harder design with more corridors. We have had a very positive response over all.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay so she is a:

OD
    -3.75 -1.50 154
    OS
    -4.25 -1.50 020

Add +1.50

Same frame in both, very standard fit, 1.67 clear with Crizal Avance

One lens was my favorite house design, which is an IOT design that the lab chooses corridors based on their own software's choice, the other was a Varilux X.

Her initial reaction was she liked my house design more, crisper vision. After about 10 minutes she said maybe there was a bit more reading area in the X, but she wasn't sure. I wasn't the one who dispensed them because I didn't want to influence her in anyway since I knew which was which.

She wore them for the next few days and eventually said she wasn't more Wowed by one than the other.

For the price of what I could put someone in a 1.67 with Avance in my house lens they could have an X in CR39 scratch coated.

I am restyling someone from the X who was a +4.25 OU with +2.00 add back into a Physio W3 because she feels peripheral distortion, I will see if the restyle fixes it.

The X is a fine lens, but so is my IOT house design. The other two people I fit in Xs were higher myopes -7 to -8 or so, neither one has returned so I assume they like them.

The Physio W3 has been the best progressive for Hyperopes I have ever dispensed, with the Auto III right behind it. The S crashed and burned for hyperopes in my office. I'll let you know what the +4.25 woman says after I remake her into the Physio W3, she wore the X and really liked it for reading but said she had a lot of peripheral blur that she didn't feel in her Poly Comfort2

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the input. I'm thinking a truer test of the lens claim to be able to see intermediate then the near area and near thru the intermediate area would be with higher adds. Adds of 1.75 or less almost don't need the intermediate area-at least not like adds of 2.25 and above do.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On the Optical Jedi blog site he says his new X lenses have a superior near and midrange area but the distance area seems narrower. Anyone else have experience with this?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Okay so she is a:

OD
    -3.75 -1.50 154
    OS
    -4.25 -1.50 020

Add +1.50

Same frame in both, very standard fit, 1.67 clear with Crizal Avance

One lens was my favorite house design, which is an IOT design that the lab chooses corridors based on their own software's choice, the other was a Varilux X.

Her initial reaction was she liked my house design more, crisper vision. After about 10 minutes she said maybe there was a bit more reading area in the X, but she wasn't sure. I wasn't the one who dispensed them because I didn't want to influence her in anyway since I knew which was which.

She wore them for the next few days and eventually said she wasn't more Wowed by one than the other.

For the price of what I could put someone in a 1.67 with Avance in my house lens they could have an X in CR39 scratch coated.

I am restyling someone from the X who was a +4.25 OU with +2.00 add back into a Physio W3 because she feels peripheral distortion, I will see if the restyle fixes it.

The X is a fine lens, but so is my IOT house design. The other two people I fit in Xs were higher myopes -7 to -8 or so, neither one has returned so I assume they like them.

The Physio W3 has been the best progressive for Hyperopes I have ever dispensed, with the Auto III right behind it. The S crashed and burned for hyperopes in my office. I'll let you know what the +4.25 woman says after I remake her into the Physio W3, she wore the X and really liked it for reading but said she had a lot of peripheral blur that she didn't feel in her Poly Comfort2

1.50 Adds might not constitute a good test. How does it compare with a 2.50 to 3.00 Add?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    1.50 Adds might not constitute a good test. How does it compare with a 2.50 to 3.00 Add?
    You tell me? I'd love to hear. The +4.25 OU with a +2.00 Add likes the Physio W3's I restyled her in better than the X, claims to experience much less peripheral distortion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper X Design Lenses

Anyone have any personal experience with this lens? Is it really noticeably different? It's sounds really great and I was thinking about getting a pair for my husband.
    Yes!! I have, and I LOVE them!! Super clear and HD - the intermediate is such that I don't have to rely on my Workspace lenses at work!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FANCYEYE View Post
    Yes!! I have, and I LOVE them!! Super clear and HD - the intermediate is such that I don't have to rely on my Workspace lenses at work!!!
    That's great to hear! What is your RX and relative fitting measurements? (you can be lazy like me and just say normal, or a jerk like me and ask for me to post the decentration and segs, I've been way too busy to post)

Also what was the last RX you were coming from / comparing to and what design were they in? Were they also fit as well as the previous one?

The more data the better, data like this is anecdotal of course but extremely valuable!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm making a pair for my husband right now and will keep you posted. He's a mild hyperope with astigmatism and a +2.50 add. I might try a pair myself if I can find a frame I like. I'm a lowish myope with some astigmatism and I also have a +2.50 add.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I get *Goosebumps* when I see statements ................................

I'm making a pair for my husband right now and will keep you posted. He's a mild hyperope with astigmatism and a +2.50 add. I might try a pair myself if I can find a frame I like. I'm a lowish myope with some astigmatism and I also have a +2.50 add.

I get *Goosebumps* when I see statements that one can be happy, wearing any progressive lens at an add of 2.50, whatever the name or manufacturer is X, Y or Z !

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris- I get the impression that you think I’m being less then truthful when I say I have NO issues wearing progressives with my add. I have many many friends that also have +2.25/2.50 adds and are very happy with their progressive lenses.

I also fit many people with these adds in them with no problems.

Just because you are in the the small minority that don’t like them really doesn’t mean those of us who do are just fooling ourselves!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I get *Goosebumps* when I see statements that one can be happy, wearing any progressive lens at an add of 2.50, whatever the name or manufacturer is X, Y or Z !
    How do you feel about a mild hyperope wearing a regressive workplace design with variable inset?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Presbyopia correction is like human life, requiring a series of compromises.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

im curious as to how your husband liked his X lenses?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    im curious as to how your husband liked his X lenses?
    He likes them fine. No issues but he doesn't notice a huge difference between them and his Physio W3 lenses.

I also got a pair, my correction is a -.75 -1.00 and a -1.50-1.00 with a 2.50 add. I do notice some improvement versus my previous glasses but it's subtle. I find the distance excellent, even off to the very edge I notice only a very slight decrease in acuity. But my frame is a 52 eye, so perhaps the Optical Jedi's frame is wider. I don't feel the intermediate is extremely wide (my 2.50 add could be part of the reason) but it's very well placed and comfortable to use.

So far I have not had any redo's with the X for adaption issues.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Can anyone tell me the retail pricing on Varilux Pal lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalsource View Post
    Can anyone tell me the retail pricing on Varilux Pal lenses.
    about $0-$1000.00

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Is anybody else having problems with progression length and add power compensation for hypers?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IJustOpenedMyCase View Post
    Is anybody else having problems with progression length and add power compensation for hypers?
    Here's a few feet of thread talking about hyperopes and progressives...

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...ecommendation?

Welcome to OptiBoard!!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Chris- I get the impression that you think I’m being less then truthful .............

Chris- I get the impression that you think I’m being less then truthful when I say I have NO issues wearing progressives with my add. I have many many friends that also have +2.25/2.50 adds and are very happy with their progressive lenses.

I also fit many people with these adds in them with no problems.

Just because you are in the the small minority that don’t like them really doesn’t mean those of us who do are just fooling ourselves!

Happylady.....................I would never think your not truthful. I know for many years that you are happy with them and so are your customers and family.

My father received a pair of Varilux about 2 years before they hit the market from his good family friend the President of the then ESSEL. He loved them and sold them in his optical business ever since they came officially on the market in Switzerland.

In my optical lab in Montreal we surfaced the Hoya version, a copy of Varilux from 1965 to about 1970 and made good profits doing so, long before Essilor was established in Canada.

I have a few pairs of them but prefer my wide segmented straight tops, because I want, and need as much clear and visible desk space desk space, at the blink of an eye. It is as simple as that.

Thread Information