Thread: iD Lifestyle II Harmony crash and burn...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

iD Lifestyle II Harmony crash and burn...

Have a pt who was put into this lens recently, who hates it. Swim all over in the distance, impossibly small reading areas, and generally feeling like nothing is locking in for him. He was wearing an S design last year and still loves them. Mild hyperope - with a only about a quarter more plus this year vs. last. No change in the add.

VSP job was originally sent to Hoya so we have to stick with them for the remake. Do you guys know of a VSP approved S design Hoya clone PAL that might be a better fit for this guy? The iD Lifestyle II Harmony just isn't gonna cut it, and we've had very mixed luck with the Array as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have struggled with a lot of the same issue, and it's usually with the mild hyperopes. We have put several of those "difficult patients" into the Shamir Autograph III (recommended to take POW measurements with this lens, but not absolutely required) and the results have been awesome.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Auto III is awesome. The MyStyle (if you are using POW measurements) or even InStyle is probably closer to the S Design than the LifeStyle II. Also, the Clarity will give your patient better distance than the Harmony.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    If you use the mystyle, you can specify that the Px was wearing an S design and that they loved it and Hoya will match the design.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    If you use the mystyle, you can specify that the Px was wearing an S design and that they loved it and Hoya will match the design.
    The design is patented isn't it? Not sure how the competition could actually copy it? Perhaps they could create something similar...but not a copy, right?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Those darn mild hyperopes, amirite?

I pretty much agree totally with Quince, we have had a lot of success moving to Autograph III from S-Design. If you have to stick with HOYA's ID Lifestyle series, Clarity will definitely work better here than Harmony. My HOYA rep explained to us that Harmony is typically best used for people who are mostly sedentary, where Clarity is much better for an active user. Clarity will also keep all induced astigmatism below the 180-line.

As a side note, we have almost always had more luck with patients like this when we shorten their corridor, so consider using HOYA's compact designs as well.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    Those darn mild hyperopes, amirite?

I pretty much agree totally with Quince, we have had a lot of success moving to Autograph III from S-Design. If you have to stick with HOYA's ID Lifestyle series, Clarity will definitely work better here than Harmony. My HOYA rep explained to us that Harmony is typically best used for people who are mostly sedentary, where Clarity is much better for an active user. Clarity will also keep all induced astigmatism below the 180-line.

As a side note, we have almost always had more luck with patients like this when we shorten their corridor, so consider using HOYA's compact designs as well.

Good point- we almost always go with short corridor designs. In Hoya's language: CD
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not trying to butt in...

...butt...

Tell me: the Auto II (not III) seems to be an "hourglass" design and the S-design (Physio redux?) is more a "T" design, right?

If so, aren't they kind of different?

I have a pair of both (and they're both nice) but the distance zone in the S is wider and the near utility in the AutoII is much greater.

Just my experience...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the biggest claim to fame the S design employs is a very, super, ultra soft design, and it's a sort of half-way between a traditional T and the hourglass plot. I think it's more the softness he liked, if I have to venture a guess. But was rather surprised at just how vociferously he decried the lack of clarity at distance, and how un-useable he stated the reading was. And of course the Hoya rep can't possibly believe this is happening with his lens - since they're the best thing since oxygen itself was invented. LOL *eyeroll*

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I think the biggest claim to fame the S design employs is a very, super, ultra soft design, and it's a sort of half-way between a traditional T and the hourglass plot. I think it's more the softness he liked, if I have to venture a guess. But was rather surprised at just how vociferously he decried the lack of clarity at distance, and how un-useable he stated the reading was. And of course the Hoya rep can't possibly believe this is happening with his lens - since they're the best thing since oxygen itself was invented. LOL *eyeroll*
    I could be mistaken, but IIRC the S-Series has some variance to the base curve throughout the lens as well.

Not to be "that guy", but do you think that this mild hyperope is struggling to adapt to the change in his Rx more than the change in his PAL design? That keeps clicking in my mind, simply because he is continuing to wear his previous PALs. I get that the design is different, but I'm like you, surprised that he dislikes the lens THAT much.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At a quarter diopter change, an SRx non-adapt seems exceedingly unlikely. Particularly with the description he gave. It sounds solidly in the lens design camp. But...I've been wrong before.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In your Hoya rep's defense, it has been my experience that the ID Lifestyle II performs better with PAL problem patients than any lens I have every worked with. I can't get them any more, but for the time I worked with Hoya lenses, they were the bee's knees.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sadly, we've had all sorts of issues with them. To say nothing of the variability of their finish quality. Certainly not the same company I remember loving 15 odd years back.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At a quarter diopter change, an SRx non-adapt seems exceedingly unlikely. Particularly with the description he gave. It sounds solidly in the lens design camp. But...I've been wrong before.
    And by no means do I intend to offend or question you on that. If this situation came to my attention, I'd verify the Rx in a trial frame and rule out possible material non-adapts before sending this in for remake. Those are 3 pretty common complaints we tend to see here from mild hyperopes, so we usually just double check all of them before we send something in. Also, we usually only get 1 remake for a change of any kind before we are charged, so just another reason we always make sure we cross every T and dot every I.

You're 100% right though, from the description he gives it absolutely sounds like a design issue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    So they claim. I've yet to ever see that algorithm that has access and can match all other patented manufacturer's designs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Sadly, we've had all sorts of issues with them. To say nothing of the variability of their finish quality. Certainly not the same company I remember loving 15 odd years back.
    They've been struggling in NA for years.

Thread Information