Thread: Add power in the distacne area of progressive lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Add power in the distacne area of progressive lenses

I am fitting and dispensing at a new job. I have had a few patients complain that the distance is is blurry on their progressives. I have set the fitting cross to line up 1 or 2 mm below center of the pupil. The patient can see clear distance when looking looking 5mm above the fitting cross. I see the same thing in the lensometer. The distance is well above the fitting cross. At the fitting cross you are already getting well into the add power... I started fitting new patients lower, but i don't think I should have to compensate 5mm. Any Ideas? Am I doing something wrong? I think there might be a problem at the lab with their "in house brand" progressives, but I want to make sure I know what to say technically to describe the problem. Does anyone have advice? I have not had this problem before working for other companies.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you sure of where the fitting cross is relative to the 180 for this particular house pal? I've had misinformation given before but I would check there for sure.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The fitting cross is 4mm above the MRP marking. Should there be any of the ADD power right at the fitting cross? If so, how much? How do I tell if the progression is starting too high up on the lens? What kind of surfacing error might cause this? Is it incorrect surface blocking? The laser marking is a star. I'm guessing its a Chinese import.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzamouthburn View Post
    I am fitting and dispensing at a new job. I have had a few patients complain that the distance is is blurry on their progressives. I have set the fitting cross to line up 1 or 2 mm below center of the pupil. The patient can see clear distance when looking looking 5mm above the fitting cross. I see the same thing in the lensometer. The distance is well above the fitting cross. At the fitting cross you are already getting well into the add power... I started fitting new patients lower, but i don't think I should have to compensate 5mm. Any Ideas? Am I doing something wrong? I think there might be a problem at the lab with their "in house brand" progressives, but I want to make sure I know what to say technically to describe the problem. Does anyone have advice? I have not had this problem before working for other companies.
    Depends on the size of the reticule on your lensmeter. I usually measure about 4mm above the cross.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Depends on the size of the reticule on your lensmeter. I usually measure about 4mm above the cross.
    Yup, that's the distance reference point, usually 4mm to 6mm above the fitting cross, depending on the manufacturer. This is where the distance power should be measured for progressive addition lenses.

As far as seeing blur from the wearer's perspective, if the fitting cross bisects the corneal reflex in the primary gaze position, the clearest distance vision should occur when looking at an object level with the eyes, at optical infinity, without posturing. Blurring at this point is usually due to poor lens design, but unusually large pupils and/or high adds might cause problems with all but the very best/appropriate PAL designs.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These sound more like office lenses than dedicated PALS. Did they give you any fitting charts that layout the corridor and the drop is is this more of a, this is what they told me situation?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Careful not to look up at the patient when measuring seg height and note their normal posture. If they carry ther head back normally you should compensate lower on segs.

Thread Information