Thread: Paraoptometric Certification via AOA

wilcoxd

Stick out tongue Paraoptometric Certification via AOA

Hey friends,

In case this hasn't be asked before, what are your opinions or thoughts on becoming certified through the AOA as optometric technicians? I ask since obtaining an ABO certification is well known, but I haven't found anyone else working on the OD's side who's even heard of "Certified Paraoptometric." By way of reference: https://www.aoa.org/paraoptometrics/certification

Thanks!
    Dave

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Howdy Dave! Welcome to Optiboard.

I don't have that certification myself, but after having worked that side of the fence in the past--I think it sure couldn't hurt. Some of the most valuable CE credits I've taken have been para-optometric material. I'm a huge proponent of cross-training and think it makes our existing knowledge bases deeper. I can't speak to the cost-effectiveness of full-on CPO certification versus picking up the expertise in other venues--but if my job description included active pretesting again, I'd do it for sure.

In that vein, if you ever see the name "Lynn Lawrence" teaching such material in a CE opportunity, I'd jump on it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Invest in your future. Look at the income that you are going to generate if you obtain the certification and the improvements its going to make for your employer. Obviously if your employer demands it, get it and do not look back. I was a COT (Certified Ophthalmic Tech which is close to the optometric version) for over 20 years as well as a licensed optician. My employer valued the COT more than the license as an optician and it showed in my income. Now that I am self employed, I could not make a living independently without my license as an optician. I think your license/certifications as an optician are far more important because in a pinch you can be self employed no matter where you decide to open. Think about it. Opticians are used to low wages so not that hard to make the same being self employed as when you are employed but you always will have the opportunity to make more than being employed. Your optician certification could be used to obtain your license if you move to a license state. As for knowledge, the COT/CPO will give you the extra edge that simply opticianry usually does not have. Another benefit of the CPO is that you can move into management and that is where the money really is when you are employed. Money is not everything but it sure helps keep your spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend or whatever happier. Things that you can become certified are several.
    Eyecare is huge and there are so many opportunities. If you are willing and like the medical side really try ophthalmic technology (JCAHPO), If you like kids try Orthoptics (Many programs will actually be free or close to free and there is a huge need for them). Another option is ocularist training. I am giving you my opinion because life is short and any certification you get will lead to another and another until you look back and see that you accomplish a lot in life. Good luck.

CNG

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As the Canadian version of the Paraoptometric Assistant (Canadian Certified Optometric Assistant) I’ve been quite pleased with what the certification has gone for my career thus far. I’ve been a CCOA for nearly a decade and am now studying to be an optician but not because being a CCOA has left me unprepared for my daily tasks; in order to be accepted as qualified by my peers in the optometric community, an optician’s licence is necessary.

I’m sure that there are differences between how the two roles (paraoptometric assistant vs CCOA) are viewed between the two countries as well as if they were compared to opticianry, but for people getting their feet wet in the industry or in places where getting an optician’s licence is a lengthy process, it’s a great place to start. When I did my CCOA training, they strongly encouraged those of us who were interested to pursue the US accreditation too. The skills I learned expanded my knowledge of optometry and practice management and introduced me to peers.

In the city in which I used to work, being a CCOA was a valued asset and was strongly encouraged however in my new home city, there is much greater emphasis on being an optician. I’m quite certain that this difference in perceived value is directly related to the fact that my old city of residence was quite far from the two colleges in my province where opticianry is taught whereas my new city is quite close (this my ability to now continue my education).

All education can be valuable, provided you take it seriously. I’ve worked with CCOAs who have been amazing in all aspects of optometric practice (including dispensing at a very high level) and I’ve met opticians who couldn’t bench a frame if their lives depended on it. Whatever role you choose to pursue will benefit you provided you do so with dedication and determination.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This is helpful! I asked about Certified Paraoptometric a few months ago :)

Thread Information