Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MEI EZFit NBL installed. Super excited!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Very well. We use it for all of our mirrors. Step back, T-bevels, custom bevels and all, for our sun frames.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    I'm no videographer, but here is the EZFit in action.
    Lens is a poly AR with Superhydro, drill and edge polish. The camera system recognizes the engravings for layout. No blocks, no other consumables necessary. I used the Very Slippery setting, which does slow the edger down, but better safe than sorry, I say. No slippage at all. Approximate edge cycle per pair was about 8 minutes.

<a href="https://vimeo.com/240989564" target="_blank">

That's a sweet set-up. Questions: 1. Does the wet polish make it difficult to clean the chamber, or do you wait until the next day when the machine may be dried out? 2. Is it your impression this machine is ruggedly built and will last several years? 3. Have you identified any weaknesses? 4. Is the camera system a source of trouble? 5. Other than glass, have you been unable to edge any type of job? 6. Are the MEI people good to work with?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Very well. We use it for all of our mirrors. Step back, T-bevels, custom bevels and all, for our sun frames.

Perfect.... so how do I convince the boss to upgrade me from the National Optronics HLP 7E..........

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonlarae View Post
    Perfect.... so how do I convince the boss to upgrade me from the National Optronics HLP 7E..........
    Can’t help you on that one. Unless you run at least 80 jobs per day, including specialty work, there won’t be a positive ROI. You are looking at about $80K for this setup. Almost 3 7EXs.
    With the amount of AR, Mirrors, drills and sun wear that we process daily, I am in need of a second one. Not sure if I will get approval, though.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    That's a sweet set-up. Questions: 1. Does the wet polish make it difficult to clean the chamber, or do you wait until the next day when the machine may be dried out? 2. Is it your impression this machine is ruggedly built and will last several years? 3. Have you identified any weaknesses? 4. Is the camera system a source of trouble? 5. Other than glass, have you been unable to edge any type of job? 6. Are the MEI people good to work with?
    1. Easy peasy to clean. The wet polish doesn’t gum up the inside that much. Give it about 30 minutes and brush the swarf off. As easy to clean as the 7E
    2. Very rugged, designed for production work.
    3. High decentrations are a bit tricky, as are high minus RXs. We are still getting a feel for adjusting cutting speeds to minimize slippage on RXs over -10. That said, we have fewer breakages now, but need more experience with the settings.
    4. Cameras are pretty stable, but we have had to reboot the system on occasion.
    5. Cuts Trivex like butter. CR39 is a breeze. Poly can be tricky if the decentration is over 8mm, or the OC is over 8 above. I know, who would fit a frame with that much vertical? But they do!
    6. Tech support is good. Sometimes, we get a tech with a heavy Italian accent that is hard to follow, but they know their stuff. Comes with TeamViewer, so remote support is a breeze.

If you can code, you are in good shape!

PM me if you need more info.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Can’t help you on that one. Unless you run at least 80 jobs per day, including specialty work, there won’t be a positive ROI. You are looking at about $80K for this setup. Almost 3 7EXs.
    With the amount of AR, Mirrors, drills and sun wear that we process daily, I am in need of a second one. Not sure if I will get approval, though.

Thinking about how much time and money we could save if we didn't have to send rimless mountings to an outside lab... and how much time and resources are wasted every time I butcher an Oakley.... I might have myself a convincing argument!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "High decentrations are a bit tricky, as are high minus RXs. We are still getting a feel for adjusting cutting speeds to minimize slippage on RXs over -10. That said, we have fewer breakages now, but need more experience with the settings." "Poly can be tricky if the decentration is over 8mm, or the OC is over 8 above."

Can't you decenter the lens for edging, or does it place the chuck over the OC only?

Occupation
    "High decentrations are a bit tricky, as are high minus RXs. We are still getting a feel for adjusting cutting speeds to minimize slippage on RXs over -10. That said, we have fewer breakages now, but need more experience with the settings." "Poly can be tricky if the decentration is over 8mm, or the OC is over 8 above."

Can't you decenter the lens for edging, or does it place the chuck over the OC only?
    Does both, but the default ic OC. I prefer OC chucking. Less human error.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps if you were to chuck on the lens geometric center on those certain problem jobs you wouldn't experience problems with slippage.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps if you were to chuck on the lens geometric center on those certain problem jobs you wouldn't experience problems with slippage.
    He works at a massive wholesale type lab for a large hmo, he does a damn good job with the situation he is given.

Ain't nobody got time for that. Santinelli is about as close as you will get to the artisnal aged ribeye steak edger as is available these days. Cooked perfectly medium rare with seared edges, if the cook has skills. I send out my notched lenses.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    He works at a massive wholesale type lab for a large hmo, he does a damn good job with the situation he is given.

Ain't nobody got time for that. Santinelli is about as close as you will get to the artisnal aged ribeye steak edger as is available these days. Cooked perfectly medium rare with seared edges, if the cook has skills. I send out my notched lenses.
    Ha! This chef has skills. Ribeye, sockeye, eye of round, all cooked to perfection. Marinated, smoked, butter basted, any which way. Notched lenses? No problem. Just finished a pair tonight. My techs have skills, but I’m still training them up to be sous chefs.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ha! This chef has skills. Ribeye, sockeye, eye of round, all cooked to perfection. Marinated, smoked, butter basted, any which way. Notched lenses? No problem. Just finished a pair tonight. My techs have skills, but I’m still training them up to be sous chefs.
    I have zero doubt brother. Its a tightrope line we walk these days
    Last edited by Tallboy; 07-09-2018 at 08:56 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    this machine is awesome I tried it at mido.

and what about qmx 3????? comparison?

Thread Information