Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue light protection

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I was suitably ****** when I recently stopped into a new LC near me just to scope them out and overheard an "optician" selling a patient lenses on the basis that they would "prevent eye cancer." I wanted to blow my lid but also didn't want to blow my cover.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm making all kinds of points when I tell patients this is a scam.

AR for better vision absolutely- Blue Light blocking not.

I work with patients who are often immigrants and some of the smartest people in the world.

They love me for my honesty.

Turn off your screens 2 hours before bedtime.

During the day- 20- 20- 20 !!!

AND BLINK!

The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends the 20/20/20 rule to decrease the risk of ocular discomfort: every 20 minutes, shift your focus to an object 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-24-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: tweak...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    There are some limited effects of blue light - on the magnocellular system, on circadian ryhthms, on arousal. There is also an argument that high intensity blue light may cause retinal harm - but the amounts of energy needed appear to be significant, and may also be very wavelength dependent. But the effects vary from person to person and empirical prescribing is not necessarily appropriate. Virtually any yellow / orange lens will reduce blue light, usually significantly more than a coating although it could be argued that using a notch dichroic filter is more appropriate. In top end lighting design (humancentric lighting) there is a tendency to modify the levels of blue during the day to change arousal, this works in some cases but is actually counterproductive in others. There is an interesting effect which does not seem to have been addressed - many people wear yellow lenses for night driving, the coated lenses often work even better! But there has not been to my knowledge any trials done.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As an aside, we are not doing our patients any favors by referring to this as "blue light." The color blue is not hurting anyone. The HEV Blue part of the spectrum, on the other hand, is something of an issue.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To my knowledge, there has never been a single in vivo study of the effect of "blue light" on an actual human retina. Blasting cultured rat retinal cells in a petri dish with high intensity blue lasers isn't of course, anything remotely like what our eyes experience day to day. But that is the research that was used as the basis for much of the "bad blue light" marketing claims. It's such a jumping-the-shark type claim, it's laughable. As for the circadian rhythm/sleep patter disruption evidence, sure. OK. But does that *REALLY* require a ridiculous, and expensive lens to counter? Or can we all just learn to turn the blue down one or two clicks on our monitors, tablets, and cell phones - which has been shown to have a FAR greater reduction of "blue light" than any lens currently available provides? Or we could just, you know, realize that screens all the time aren't doing us any favors for many more reasons than the "bad blue light" myth.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    We were asked by one of the lighting companies to look at effects of various colour temperatures (from 1800K to 10 000K) on people - result - variable effects - and unpredictable. I suspect that the blue light controversy is more a marketing ploy. However, some people are affected - positively and negatively - but there is a need for professionals to be able to determine the effects of tints - perhaps this is the time to mention my book "a professionals guide to prescribing tints and filters" Over 250 pages of sheer joy, reading about lighting, tints and filters, tests you can do, observations etc. A perfect Christmas gift for those that have everything

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately they do not qualify until the end (by The American Academy of Ophthalmology), but here's an interesting and deep dive article from when protecting retina's from HEV blue light was all the rage:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fionamc.../#2e83d12a384b

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jarralad2 View Post
    We were asked by one of the lighting companies to look at effects of various colour temperatures (from 1800K to 10 000K) on people - result - variable effects - and unpredictable. I suspect that the blue light controversy is more a marketing ploy. However, some people are affected - positively and negatively - but there is a need for professionals to be able to determine the effects of tints - perhaps this is the time to mention my book "a professionals guide to prescribing tints and filters" Over 250 pages of sheer joy, reading about lighting, tints and filters, tests you can do, observations etc. A perfect Christmas gift for those that have everything
    I would be curious to know if you have an estimate of what percent of the population would benefit from this type of prescribing? Or better yet what percent have their lives adversely effected by not having a tint or filter prescribed? Just trying to get a handle on the scope of the issue.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    around 15-20% of people have significant effects - but whether you prescribe for that many - probably nearer 5-10 really benefit enough to say it is critical to visual performance

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I'm making all kinds of points when I tell patients this is a scam.

AR for better vision absolutely- Blue Light blocking not.

I work with patients who are often immigrants and some of the smartest people in the world.

They love me for my honesty.

Turn off your screens 2 hours before bedtime.

During the day- 20- 20- 20 !!!

AND BLINK!

The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends the 20/20/20 rule to decrease the risk of ocular discomfort: every 20 minutes, shift your focus to an object 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.

hello,

honestly speaking who is going to implement and keep a track of the 20/20 rule and how will you do it?? Would you keep a timer on your phone for every 20 minutes? Doesn’t seem practical to me.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticia_n View Post
    hello,

honestly speaking who is going to implement and keep a track of the 20/20 rule and how will you do it?? Would you keep a timer on your phone for every 20 minutes? Doesn’t seem practical to me.
    There are apps to help remind you. Much simpler than setting your own alarms.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi....Blue light has gotten a bad rap. Personal electronic device emit more blue light. Blue light has a short wave which means that it is high-energy and can damage the delicate tissues of the eye. It can also pass through the eye to the retina, the collection of neurons that converts light into the signals that are the foundation of sight.he difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation is not always an all-or-nothing proposition. Sometimes it depends on the substance. Then there things like the photoelectric effect (solar cells) and photochemical effects (photographic film) that fall into some sort of middle ground. The hazards of light to the human eye usually fall into two categories: thermal and photochemical.

prototype pcb assembly
    Last edited by ReidBecker; 05-06-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is the final word:

NEVER EVER GO OUTSIDE. EVER!

Because if you do, the naturally occuring sunlight on a typical pleasant day (which is orders of magnitude far more intense than any man made personal electronic screen's blue light (or any other visible wavelengths) will literally cause your face to explode, your whole retirement fund to evaporate, simultaneously - no one really seems to know why...it just happens ok?, kill every baby seal alive, and of course split the entire planet earth clean in two!!!

So just don't do it.

But if you INSIST on destroying everything and everyone you hold dear...may I interest you in some overhyped fluff lenses with no proven scientific benefit to minimize the absolute horror of some shorter wavelengths of light (which even we lens manufacturers can't agree upon precisely which ones) because "safety", and all that?

Oh yes, they're fairly expensive...but THINK OF THE BABY SEALS!

Thread Information