Thread: Can see distance and near, can't see intermediate?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can see distance and near, can't see intermediate?

I had a patient came back for complaint last week, she got a pair of essilor Ds one progressive lens, her prescription is plus based for her two eyes. Her add is +2.50.
    she was complainting about intermediate, she said she can see distance and near well, but she can't see the computer, I was trying to ask her to move her head to see if she can see any spot for computer clearly.she was angry since she had been waiting for a long time to be served. She felt stupid for what I requested.

Any idea for this case? Should I upgrade her lenses if she come back or suggest her to get a pair of office lens for computer?

Thanks for help!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    With a +2.50, my poor eyes LOVE my computer glasses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The most likely problem, monocular P.D. slighly off.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check her pd, check seg, make sure she doesn't wear them too far from standard Position Of Wear, and if so order it as such. The corridor shrinks very quickly when people look through a longer vertex.

As for what Doc said, any hyperopic patient with a legitimate 250 add should be in an office lens if they are a cubicle warrior. Construction workers buy steel toed boots.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So I guess, I need to suggest her office lens when she come back.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will double check that if she comes back.
    Thank you.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The frame was non-Asian fit. I will definitely take this suggestion. Thank you.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It's me again.

It's me again, so I had a patient come back for a new pair glasses. Her prescription didnt change compare to last year, it was roughly -6.00 and -7.00 on both eyes with slightly astigmatism. She had a prescription paper from doctor, the PD is 59, on our file,her PD was 59. Today I double check, the PD is 28/29.5. My coworker who double check for me, it's the same number. I check the dot for seg height, two sides are not balanced. She got her glass from last year in our place, the PD was 59, 29.5/29.5. Should I use the PD that I double check, or keep the old one?
    Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it was me Xiatian, I would do 28.5 and 29.5.

If you are confident in your measurements the patient is not getting the best use of their PAL corridor in the right eye because it is off. If her ADD has increased she will notice the PD being off more this time than last, but moving it too much at once may cause issues. I probably wouldn't move it all the way to 28 this year, save that for next time.

Someone can wear a +1.00 add easily if the seg PD is off a bit, but as that ADD increases to 1.50, 1.75, 2.00 or even 2.50 the corridor gets smaller and smaller and must be situated more and more precisely. Ease her back into her true PD, split the difference.
    Last edited by Tallboy; 10-21-2017 at 09:36 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The add is the same, it's 1.50 for both eyes.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Will she notice that a lot if pd change by 1. Since only pd on right eye changed. And her prescription is exactly the same as last year.
    Last edited by Xiatian123; 10-21-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiatian123 View Post
    Will she notice that a lot if pd change by 1. Since only pd on right eye changed. And her prescription is exactly the same as last year.
    The issues in the distance most likely won't bother her, you could probably just move it the whole 1.5mm, to be safe I might only move it 1mm towards your measured pd in the right eye.

And yes in a reasonably high add she will definitely feel like the reading and intermediate are smaller. I took a great class with Essilor's own Pete Hanlin a few years ago on trouble shooting progressives and he had a chart with amount the PD was off/power of the add and the resulting % of the corridor that would be cut out of the patients vision. I had yet to that point thought much about PD affecting PAL performance and always was Seg Height first when trouble shoooting, thinking about PD only as affecting peripheral vision when it was too narrow.

Basically if you are confident in your PD measurement you are doing her a disservice by not correcting the PD. Also if her ADD has increased, what wasn't a problem for her in a weaker ADD with the the old incorrect 59 pd may become your problem because her reading all of a sudden feels small.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm late to this thread but I wanted to weigh in. I also wear a +2.50 add, though my distance is minus. I would love to hear the outcome for this woman when you redid her lenses. Correct PD and heights are very important.

As for changing her to an office type lens- that would be great for computer and close but will make her distance blurry. Some patients are ok with this but it's really just changing one problem for another. In many cases I think an office/computer pair should be an additional pair. This is especially true if they are already wearing a progressive and are used to a clear distance.

Another thing to look at is the height of the computer monitor. Unfortunately most are not adjustable but they just don't work if well if people have to look straight at them since that is the distance area in a progressive. The eyes looking straight ahead should ideally look just over the top of the moniter. A properly fit progressive will work then.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi guys. So i have a patient who collected her glasses (progressives) four days ago. She wore it for two days and went back to the old glasses (4 year old RX). She visited my office and reported that she can see very clearly to read. But her intermediate (computer screen for work and phone screen for pics) appears double. Her distance is fairly ok.
    Old rx - OD: +0.25/-1.25 x 065 VA: 20/40 OS: +0.25/-2.25 x 080 VA: 20/70 Add: +1.50 Progs, Transitions, Anti-reflective coating (scratched)
    Frame: rectangular shape
    New rx - OD: +0.50/-1.75 x 067 VA: 20/20 OS: +0.25/-2.25 x 091 VA: 20/50 Add: +2.00
    Frame: slightly rounded

When she visited, I rechecked the heights and asked her to demonstrate how she was using the frame. I explained about the change in RX and adaptation, as well as the change in the shape of the frame. I adjusted the temples as well, however, she said she was experiencing the same issues. I advised her to stop using the old pair and to use the new pair and to try to adjust to the changes.

What else can I do to help my patient?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    check face form, panto and vertex distance. PAL design and PDs. I'm interested that a quarter difference cyl and sph in the OD took her from 20/40 to 20/20, its perfectly possible though

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put her back in the old design.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiatian123 View Post
    I had a patient came back for complaint last week, she got a pair of essilor Ds one progressive lens, her prescription is plus based for her two eyes. Her add is +2.50.
    she was complainting about intermediate, she said she can see distance and near well, but she can't see the computer, I was trying to ask her to move her head to see if she can see any spot for computer clearly.she was angry since she had been waiting for a long time to be served. She felt stupid for what I requested.

Any idea for this case? Should I upgrade her lenses if she come back or suggest her to get a pair of office lens for computer?

Thanks for help!
    The answer is dependent on the monitor height and distance. If the monitor height is @ proper gaze, there should be no discomfort. It the monitor is above gaze, then a computer PAL is recommended. Also, remember that the higher the add, the narrower the corridor.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    fwiw- Post #14 restarted this old thread.

The advice is still valid from the original post.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would better choose lens..

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Racheal View Post
    Hi guys. So i have a patient who collected her glasses (progressives) four days ago. She wore it for two days and went back to the old glasses (4 year old RX). She visited my office and reported that she can see very clearly to read. But her intermediate (computer screen for work and phone screen for pics) appears double. Her distance is fairly ok.
    Old rx - OD: +0.25/-1.25 x 065 VA: 20/40 OS: +0.25/-2.25 x 080 VA: 20/70 Add: +1.50 Progs, Transitions, Anti-reflective coating (scratched)
    Frame: rectangular shape
    New rx - OD: +0.50/-1.75 x 067 VA: 20/20 OS: +0.25/-2.25 x 091 VA: 20/50 Add: +2.00
    Frame: slightly rounded

When she visited, I rechecked the heights and asked her to demonstrate how she was using the frame. I explained about the change in RX and adaptation, as well as the change in the shape of the frame. I adjusted the temples as well, however, she said she was experiencing the same issues. I advised her to stop using the old pair and to use the new pair and to try to adjust to the changes.

What else can I do to help my patient?
    I know this is late but I would check if she lifts her chin while measuring the fitting height. I'd also compare the vertex distance between the new and old frame.

Thread Information