Thread: Digitize Me Captain

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Digitize Me Captain

So the owner popped the question yesterday- What would it take for our in house conventional lab to process digital and is it worth it?

My current workload includes:

-same day/ rush service
    -90% of our sunglasses (most of our patients don't upgrade to digital on 2nd pair)
    -conventional PAL
    -FT, TRI, Occupational

My lab used to be quite busy and has slowed with the increase of our digital sales and specialty lenses, such as computer and anti-fatigue. The owner's goal is to make it so that more of our orders can be done in house again.

Here's what I think I know:

New programming (software)
    new generator,
    new blocker,
    won't need the finer?
    Polisher should work??
    Keep the coater.

Does this look about right? I have talked with both Coburn and Hoya in the past about upgrading, but they wanted to overhaul my lab (a dream come true for me and a nightmare for the owner.) IF POSSIBLE my job is to find just the individual pieces I would need to only replace what is necessary.

That is if it comes to that. As of now, I am fact searching to see if anyone else has made this move and how it has worked out.

I have a couple of prominent thoughts that include our high AR numbers and how we do not have the room to add that equipment. We would be sending out for coating much more which isn't necessarily a problem, but something to keep in mind.

I will be contacting manufacturers soon to start getting some ballpark numbers together so any input is appreciated on equipment and software.

Thanks OptiFriends!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would check with Schneider and SatisLoh. Depending on your volume, they both offer small footprint free form equipment, some with on board engraving. Both are pre qualified for most designs. You will also need to decide which free form designs to process and schedule qualifications with them, as well as your LMS provider.

Equipment needed, generator, soft tool polisher, and engraver. Typically, 2 polishers per generator.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

So the owner popped the question yesterday- What would it take for our in house conventional lab to process digital and is it worth it?

My lab used to be quite busy and has slowed with the increase of our digital sales and specialty lenses, such as computer and anti-fatigue. The owner's goal is to make it so that more of our orders can be done in house again.

Make sure you do not make a mistake with big investments. Check with your boss if he wants to go that way or if he wants to slow down the sales staff who pushes the expensive stuff to the limit.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    I would check with Schneider and SatisLoh. Depending on your volume, they both offer small footprint free form equipment, some with on board engraving. Both are pre qualified for most designs. You will also need to decide which free form designs to process and schedule qualifications with them, as well as your LMS provider.

Equipment needed, generator, soft tool polisher, and engraver. Typically, 2 polishers per generator.

I've never worked with Schneider or SatisLoh but I do know of their products. I will be sure to check with them if they are better for lower volume. I run about 15 jobs on a busy day (surfacing only) as of now.

So the Coburn 506 machines won't work for polishing so do I just need to modify them? I will add the engraver to my list of 'needs.'

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Make sure you do not make a mistake with big investments. Check with your boss if he wants to go that way or if he wants to slow down the sales staff who pushes the expensive stuff to the limit.
    If you can produce House brands for under $xxx/pr versus $xxx/pr, why throttle back?

The bigger question is, can you achieve a reasonable ROI within 5 years? Free form equipment is not cheap. You would need to surface at least 30/pr a day, mixed straight to polish and free form.

I can say without a doubt, our investment was worthwhile. Almost all of our surface work is straight to polish and free form, digital designs around 32%, with less than 10 orders of traditional PALs per week. We have seen significant reductions in inventory and processing time/costs, not to mention a huge reduction in spoilage costs.
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 10-17-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Removed wholesale prices

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Amazingly, it was his idea!

Digital is booming for us and we, as well as our patients, are very happy with our labs right now- we are just exploring if there is more I can do here without compromising quality. My lab is a money saver- not a money maker. If it can be updated to match our product availability then that will save us more in the long run.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I've never worked with Schneider or SatisLoh but I do know of their products. I will be sure to check with them if they are better for lower volume. I run about 15 jobs on a busy day (surfacing only) as of now.

So the Coburn 506 machines won't work for polishing so do I just need to modify them? I will add the engraver to my list of 'needs.'
    Coburn does offer the launch pad, but if you are serious about free form, you will need a soft tool polisher. With 15 jobs/day, I can't see that you will see a profit by bringing this in house. You would be able to provide same day service, but many freeform wearers opt for AR. You might be better off outsourcing.

Occupation
    If you can produce House brands for under $xxx/pr versus $xxx/pr, why throttle back?

The bigger question is, can you achieve a reasonable ROI within 5 years? Free form equipment is not cheap. You would need to surface at least 30/pr a day, mixed straight to polish and free form.

I can say without a doubt, our investment was worthwhile. Almost all of our surface work is straight to polish and free form, digital designs around 32%, with less than 10 orders of traditional PALs per week. We have seen significant reductions in inventory and processing time/costs, not to mention a huge reduction in spoilage costs.
    That's exactly why we are looking at doing this. How recently did you switch over? Can I ask what the biggest cost was? I assume the programming cost is quite hefty, or was it included in the cost of the equipment?

Occupation
    Coburn does offer the launch pad, but if you are serious about free form, you will need a soft tool polisher. With 15 jobs/day, I can't see that you will see a profit by bringing this in house. You would be able to provide same day service, but many freeform wearers opt for AR. You might be better off outsourcing.
    My output is very low now because of the outsourcing, but I would expect it to double or triple depending on what I can offer.

Occupation
    Our biggest cost was equipment. PM me and I will be happy to converse about this once I'm off for the day.

Occupation
    Wonderful, thank you!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A BEA, Break Even Analysis, will give you and the boss all the info you need to make a reasonably intelligent decision.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    A BEA, Break Even Analysis, will give you and the boss all the info you need to make a reasonably intelligent decision.
    Another good suggestion. I just looked up the formula for this and it is definitely a great starting point!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the biggest part in your upgrade is the type of FF lenses that you want to process!
    Do you want cheap FF or you want the latest and the greatest?
    What conventional progressive you are surfacing now? How good is your deal on the blanks?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably see if you can get them switched into glass flat-tops while they are at it too, huh?

Thread Information