Thread: "face shape"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue "face shape"

How many of you still get the "face shape" question from frame shopping clients?
    Last edited by tx11; 10-02-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank God it's reduced a lot. I only hear it once in a while.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    How many of you still get the "face shape" question from frame shopping clients?
    Or had your "colors" done...

Stock answer is "What looks best and feels comfortable".

Most patients love when you put a frame on them and then take it off before they even see themselves as you tell them it doesn't fit.

(I'm on the cusp of spring/summer. But winter is coming...)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Now and then. I tell people that I don't really put much stock in it because all it does is limit your imagination. There's no substitute for just trying things on and looking in the mirror.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Every once and a while that question arises, I once worked for a company that had a guide to facial shape featured in three different places throughout the store. I hated it, patients and customers in general of any trade are influenced enough on what the industry standard is supposed to be, I give my patients the ultimate freedom in choosing frames but I am still honest with them regarding the fit and appearance.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    Every once and a while that question arises, I once worked for a company that had a guide to facial shape featured in three different places throughout the store. I hated it, patients and customers in general of any trade are influenced enough on what the industry standard is supposed to be, I give my patients the ultimate freedom in choosing frames but I am still honest with them regarding the fit and appearance.
    We have one in my office. I put the Silhouette display in front of it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow- I'm more than a little stunned with the comments in this thread.... Nothing personal here, but Wow.

So, let me ask you this.... what do you say to a client/patient when they come in and ask you- the optical professional- what would you recommend or what do you think would look best on them? Do you simply give them a cursory nod, smile and ask for the Rx and answer the question based on Rx parameters and point to the frames and give them permission to try as many frames on as you like? At least there was an attempt at impressing the patient with your optical acumen. Or are you showing them the bestsellers because you think it will easier for them to make a decision on styles that are selling like hotcakes? I mean, every other eyeglass wearer LOVES this brand, you will too, right? I could go on and on but I really do not want to be mean spirited here, just poking a little fun while trying to get my point across… hopefully.

What I am about to say…… #1- I’ve earned the right to say and #2- has allowed me to find joy and great satisfaction in my job today, yesterday, 10, 20 years ago, keep counting backwards until you hit 40 years then you can stop. (Yep, I’m vintage,but still have a fire in my belly baby!)

I own an optical shop selling vintage and modern eyewear/sunwear in San Francisco. This is a highly saturated and competitive market- SF eyewear consumers have a LOTof choices and a lot of companies competing for their dollars not just bricks and mortar but online, pop ups, you name it it’s here. These consumers are savvy and do their homework, and will make the rounds shopping in every optical shop in SF before making a final decision.
    So when a shopper walks in and asks me the question, “What frame matches best with my facial shape? Or some incarnation of the same, I answer their question!! And I answer it using facial shapes, color palette and any other little tool I’ve learned over time. These tools help me help the client through the frustrating process of frame selection. There isn’t a script to follow other than being honest, being tactful and genuinely helping them find the perfect frame. Always remembering their idea of perfect may not be your idea of perfect- but that’s ok because with your expert guidance, they’re perfectly happy. And you won’t bat 1000% every time either.
    I have clients walk in and say, so and so got their glasses here and said you helped them pick out those beautiful frames, and I want you to help me find frames that look good on me, can you help me? Many of my old patients track me down when I change jobs, so this isn’t new. I am honored every single time I hear this.

I’m not saying my approach is the answer or gold standard in every interaction but if you think using facial shape and/or color palette is too hard, or gimmicky or too old school, then keep on keepin on and your patient/clients will be coming back to you to have their new Warby Parker’s or $400 designer shades just bought at Nordstroms adjusted- by you- for free………
    Last edited by Rockstargazer; 10-06-2017 at 01:17 AM. Reason: typos

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Wow- I'm more than a little stunned with the comments in this thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstargazer View Post

Wow- I'm more than a little stunned with the comments in this thread.... Nothing personal here, but Wow.

I’m not saying my approach is the answer or gold standard in every interaction but if you think using facial shape and/or color palette is too hard, or gimmicky or too old school, then keep on keepin on and your patient/clients will be coming back to you to have their new Warby Parker’s or $400 designer shades just bought at Nordstroms adjusted- by you- for free………

Rockstargazer, congratulations........................., in short, you just gave the perfect answer.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    With glasses, many have problems with the selection of glasses .... Some of them in the oval and face type are very suitable, but the person does not like ....
    So my opinion is that to listen to fashion of course you need ... .no and very important that I would like myself ....
    There are types of persons who fit all forms of glasses fit ...
    So before we buy at least and look in the mirror, we like to take, we do not look for others.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you deal with a substantial amount of low vision/high Rx's regularly you are wise to ask for the Rx 1st. These folks don't always walk in wearing their current glasses, they come in wearing CL's. Not much fun to go through selection, they pick a 56 eye metal clear and a 60 eye 8 base wrap for suns only to see their Rx is -14.00...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Call me the frame Nazi!!!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Lol.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know it may feel demeaning sometimes (for opticians who consider this to be an allied health care profession) but willing to offer an opinion on fashion , commenting on how a frame compliments a client's features and demonstrating a little retail flair may be the sugar that makes the medicine of having to wear Rx glasses to see clearly less scary and dare I say even fun.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Call me the frame Nazi!!!
    HaHaHaHa No Frame for you !...TWO YEAR!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

God how I wish I could say that to some people! Haha... Seriously though, I do help people. I always look at the total picture though. Not just frame shape, but Rx and lens type too. The other thing was when Lenscrafters had that sizer thing and people would come in asking what size they were? Sometimes I still get that, but I always warn people that not all 50eyes will fit the same way. Some frames have a wrap temple design, some don't. There is no...you're a 50! Drives me crazy.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's definitely a total picture job. The restrictions created by prescription and usage are equal to the restrictions of face shape and fashion, and my patients appreciate my knowledge of both.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I actually said this the other day, yet it had nothing to do with face shape.

Thread Information