Thread: What's Next?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

What's Next?

So, I wanted to see if we could use this as a place to try and go a little more in depth about topics - what should we cover in an issue? Are there areas that the industry, in general, needs to know more about? As entertaining as it is with me rambling on about random topics, I'd much rather cover something that's useful - so I'd like to get more opinions on what specific things people feel need more attention.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know it's not the usual stuff you cover, but how to improve capture rates would be great. I am stuck in a situation where our ODs have been telling patients to go to Costco! Other than the obvious of telling them not to and complaining to the owner, what other strategies can I do to help improve our capture rate?

Marketing your office... trunk shows...

While I love the technical lens stuff that you guys do... (LOVE)... I would like some new information and ideas about selling frames. Not the old standard stuff. As always... no branding either.

Occupation
    So, maybe something like:

Hey, doc? Your afternoon is clear - I told all the patients they can just go get their exam at Costco. They seemed pretty happy to be able to get their exam there along with their glasses, so they can just make the one trip.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post
    So, maybe something like:

Hey, doc? Your afternoon is clear - I told all the patients they can just go get their exam at Costco. They seemed pretty happy to be able to get their exam there along with their glasses, so they can just make the one trip.
    Wouldn't I love to say something like that! However... The big boss prob won't like it too much. Yes... they're killing me!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Teach the Drs to hand off each patient to you individually - the Dr should bring the patient to you after the exam and personally introduce you, then discuss the patients visual changes and new needs. Once the Dr summarizes his findings then he asks the patient for a referral, then moves on to his next patient while you sell high end product.

The hand off is of ultimate importance. Equally important, at the end of the handoff the Dr asks the patient for a referral. At the end of the optician’s sale then the optician asks the patient for a referral.

Explain the benefits of the latest high end product and let the benefits do the selling.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Teach the Drs to hand off each patient to you individually - the Dr should bring the patient to you after the exam and personally introduce you, then discuss the patients visual changes and new needs.
    IMHO, this is the most important part for us Opticians. Relationship building, not to mention the obvious-business building. ODs and MDs are powerful business builders and need to be a major part of the Optical business. Even if they do not receive incentives, they are an integral part of the Optical dynamics.

Informing them of what you have to offer is key. Quality service, quality products, quality relationships and knowledgeable staff. This is not something that on-line outlets, discounters, nor big box stores offer.

Nothing worse than hearing an OD recommending low cost opticals over your own practice!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I know it's not the usual stuff you cover, but how to improve capture rates would be great. I am stuck in a situation where our ODs have been telling patients to go to Costco! Other than the obvious of telling them not to and complaining to the owner, what other strategies can I do to help improve our capture rate?

Marketing your office... trunk shows...
    Trunk shows do work. You can sell a large quantity of frames quickly in one day. The beauty is that it’s reverse selling or impulse buying. It can be done without the Drs and without having the Rx first. Normally a person has an Rx first then wants to fill the Rx so that creates the need to buy a frame. Trunk shows can reverse this process. Trunk shows can create the Rx need instead of the Rx creating the frame need.

The unique thing about trunk shows is that people WANT to buy. They want to buy right then and there and pay cash. Keep your terms that way, no insurance. The more people in the room trying on styles and buying also creates a frenzy or buying atmosphere, so the sales almost ring themselves up. Think of it this way, it’s like the New York City frame trade show but open to the public. It only lasts for a limited time, so everyone knows to buy now or not at all.
    Last edited by idispense; 12-30-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is OPT being printed anymore? I haven't gotten one in a long time and was wondering. I really enjoyed them.

Thread Information