Thread: Sunglasses vs. Ophthalmics

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Sunglasses vs. Ophthalmics

Hello All,

Looking for advice on how to decide how much of the total inventory should be sunglasses. This is a cold start practice and I am looking to start off with around 800 frames.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always change the sunglass inventory around. Ususally I maintain about 20-25% Suns, but around spring a lot of manufactures have special deals and I bump it way up and sell off over the summer and during our sunglass open house. It just depends on what my needs are at the time and what the specials are. Also, when I bring in a lot of sun inventory and by the end of summer I have too many left, most of my manufacturers will then swap it our for ophthalmic frames. That's why I'm never afraid I might "overstock" on suns. I choose the right manufacturers. I think you'll find that most that carry an ophthalmic line will do a swap out for you.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I always change the sunglass inventory around. Ususally I maintain about 20-25% Suns, but around spring a lot of manufactures have special deals and I bump it way up and sell off over the summer and during our sunglass open house. It just depends on what my needs are at the time and what the specials are. Also, when I bring in a lot of sun inventory and by the end of summer I have too many left, most of my manufacturers will then swap it our for ophthalmic frames. That's why I'm never afraid I might "overstock" on suns. I choose the right manufacturers. I think you'll find that most that carry an ophthalmic line will do a swap out for you.
    Thank you!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I would agree with that percentage. I'd say we fluctuate between 20-30% depending on the season.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I choose the right manufacturers.......................................

Also, when I bring in a lot of sun inventory and by the end of summer I have too many left, most of my manufacturers will then swap it our for ophthalmic frames. That's why I'm never afraid I might "overstock" on suns. I choose the right manufacturers. I think you'll find that most that carry an ophthalmic line will do a swap out for you.

I hope you ever thought that if a supplier swaps for this and for that after you had it on the frame board for six month or a year, he is stuck with an older model that has been used and handled all that time.

The take back and exchanging frame models is a costly affair for the seller plus the effort to sell them again.

So you're right manufacturers that will do that, have added an extra profit markup of 20% to 30% on their basic price and you pay for it out front.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I hope you ever thought that if a supplier swaps for this and for that after you had it on the frame board for six month or a year, he is stuck with an older model that has been used and handled all that time.

The take back and exchanging frame models is a costly affair for the seller plus the effort to sell them again.

So you're right manufacturers that will do that, have added an extra profit markup of 20% to 30% on their basic price and you pay for it out front.
    In my case I don't have inventory that sits too long. (Buy smart to start with!) If I do swap out, it is few and far between. Yes, manufacturers add that all into the price of the frames and that's why the prices are high. Even if I sold all my inventory and had no returns and no defects, manufacturers are not going to lower their prices. The system is the way it is now, so I'm going to just go ahead and do my exchanges. After all, I paid for it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper some competitors will always take advantage and swim against the current.............

Yes, manufacturers add that all into the price of the frames and that's why the prices are high. Even if I sold all my inventory and had no returns and no defects, manufacturers are not going to lower their prices.The system is the way it is now, so I'm going to just go ahead and do my exchanges. After all, I paid for it.

On an open market, some competitors will always take advantage and swim against the current.

Manufacturing defects were always under full warranty forever, even when I was into frames for over 20 years up to the early 1980s when the freeby take back and exchange business started, and frame prices went a lot higher than they should have been.

So it ends with a: Welcome to the on-line opticals that can afford to keep their prices in line with their cost.

see at :
    http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm

scroll down the page to
    (On Line Glasses or services, section started July 2009 )
    ( 73 active sites listed with their Alexa traffic ratings )

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    True that.

Thread Information