Thread: Just got an Edger Advice for Stocking Lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Just got an Edger Advice for Stocking Lenses

Our practice just invested in a re-furbed tracer and edger and are looking to stock some lenses. Looking for some recommendations on how many of what powers to stock.

Also, is there anything that I need to know about working with EyeMed and VSP with in-house edging?

You guys are always so great with thoughts and advice. I truly do appreciate it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You may want to check with the company that is going to supply your lenses, most have a "starter" package available.
    I quit stocking lenses, I can get lenses overnight.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

We don't have the room to hold a house of stock lenses anymore. We also work with labs where we can get lenses overnight, in most cases. As long as you don't promise the patient one hour service or even next day delivery, you really don't have to house stock lenses.
    You can also purchase "banks" of lenses and get a really great price on them. VSP you have to bill as non-IDC and order uncuts through whichever lab you are getting stock from. You can also order uncuts as an option through whichever VSP lab you use if a patient can't give up their frame, for example. For EyeMed, we can have contracted out to our stock lens lab for single vision lenses only. For progressives, we have to order through EyeMed labs, but we can still order them uncut if we need to.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For VSP in-housing edging it's really simple. You can order lens through VSP and they have next day shipping. We carry stock lens, but I find it easier just ordering them as they come in (if you order atleast $50 its free shipping otherwise it's like $7 or $8 shipping). You can get simple factory scratch, AR, sunsync, trivex, ect. PM me if you want more information on VSP. Plus if you do a lot of VSP single vision you can get paid a little exta.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stock scratch resistant poly for the kids, up to at least -3.00 / +200 sph and -1.00 cyl. Get the rest overnighted. We don't take a ton of managed vision care here, though our doctors can take all insurance for medical testing. So I decided to stock VSP's Unity rebranded Somo stock lenses, they are good. Strong scratch coat. And I can file them to VSP for the keedz.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by kintops View Post
    Our practice just invested in a re-furbed tracer and edger and are looking to stock some lenses. Looking for some recommendations on how many of what powers to stock.

Also, is there anything that I need to know about working with EyeMed and VSP with in-house edging?

You guys are always so great with thoughts and advice. I truly do appreciate it.
    My opinion is to buy a basic stock of CR-39 lenses +4.00 to -4.00 to a 2.00 cyl. probably less than $xxxx. Probably get you money back at retail in less than 6-8 pair.
    I am biased as I sell FSV lenses www.superoptical.com
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 09-18-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Wholesale pricing removed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stocking +400 lenses? Yowsers. At some point you need to surface them for good finished quality

Occupation
    Why would you need to surface a finished lens? Guess I should have been more clear but threads seem to speak of finished lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Why would you need to surface a finished lens? Guess I should have been more clear but threads seem to speak of finished lenses.
    The thread is about advice for stocking lenses. I meant at some point you need to surface the lenses instead of using FSV.

Occupation
    Unless there is a pressing reason to provide eyewear to your customers immediately, there is no reason to stock finished single vision lenses. Your operating resources can put to far better use than sitting on the shelf. Rather than a JIC (Just In Case) inventory your business will be better served with a JIT (Just In Time) inventory model. There may also be some tax ramifications to your inventory.

Establish a supply chain that can provide you with inventory in one or two days and you will be able to satisfy ninety percent of your customers. And of prime importance, you will not be under the pressure to sell only those lenses that you have sitting in a drawer in the back room gathering dust.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We have a high demand for 1-Hour Service, therefore we keep +2.00 to -4.00. Our stock consists of CR39, CRAR, poly SR, and poly AR. I'm in a habit of stocking specialty sunglass planos as well. This includes mirrors, gradients, and backside AR options. Super beneficial if you are in any sort of tourist environment.

I do have overnight shipping through most of my vendors, but in my state, people drive 4 hours for same day glasses and don't call ahead. If I don't have it, someone else will. Stock to your areas expectations.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    We have a high demand for 1-Hour Service, therefore we keep +2.00 to -4.00. Our stock consists of CR39, CRAR, poly SR, and poly AR. I'm in a habit of stocking specialty sunglass planos as well. This includes mirrors, gradients, and backside AR options. Super beneficial if you are in any sort of tourist environment.

I do have overnight shipping through most of my vendors, but in my state, people drive 4 hours for same day glasses and don't call ahead. If I don't have it, someone else will. Stock to your areas expectations.
    Agree 100%. Even if you aren't in a tourist area your business and PROFITS will increase as more people become aware that you can provide fast service.

Thread Information