Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Edger.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best Edger.

Dear Opticians.
    I am looking for some versatile Edger, who can run with out problems for at least couple years and with out bells and whistles.
    I am so tired of Essilor ultimate capa, which costed me 45K and it is junk once they start giving you problems and even TECH they don't know what to pin point at, all they do is change this or that and the problem is still the same.
    Thank you
    Manny

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Call VSI https://patternless.com/

If you are willing to fix things yourself there is no better deal in my eyes.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Favorite edger of all time: Santanelli LE9000
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do fix my own machines but not in these days they have too much of computer and thus it is imposible for me now.. but thank you for your reply.
    and thank you for sugesting me for santanelli le 9000 i will look in to that as well.
    thank you

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kappa is a good basic machine! Ultimate is even better basic machine! Is Essilor the one that cant fix it? Get a new tech. The techs inside are very knowledgeable in US. In essilor line up kappa was one of the work horses in my opinion. Everything higher up just add on of bells and whistles...
    What issue are you having with Kappa?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once Coburn lost the contract for essilor tech support, all I hear is terrible stories about Essilor Brand Techs.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sir. Feathering wheel and grove is always been a problem. Changed it with its wheel and the whole assembly and then same problem changed the mother board and now it is still the same.
    Last edited by Manny Seh; 09-13-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling auto spell

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr Eric.

I did watched some videos for the edger you suggesting. Looks great and very reasonable price as well.
    Thank you.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Seh View Post
    Mr Eric.

I did watched some videos for the edger you suggesting. Looks great and very reasonable price as well.
    Thank you.
    Your welcome!
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Seh View Post
    Mr Eric.

Thank you.
    I'm telling you call VSI the number is on the website I posted before. The absolute best refurbished LE9000 out there, im in year 5 of mine with almost no issues

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I'm telling you call VSI the number is on the website I posted before. The absolute best refurbished LE9000 out there, im in year 5 of mine with almost no issues
    Got you beat:
    I bought a 9000 series VSI Refurbed unit 8 yrs ago second hand from someone who'd own it 5 years. I've only sent out once for maintenance, the rest I can complete in house.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are very happy with our Santinelli LE 1000 express with ICE mini blocker.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jasons View Post
    We are very happy with our Santinelli LE 1000 express with ICE mini blocker.
    Other than Speed of edging, Santinellis are the best edgers for an office.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you to all of you who have helping me to find what is the best out there. I have called the Santinellis sales and I will go to see...

Thank you to all of you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a Briot Alta system and have been very happy with it. I have used a Santinelli 9000 extensively and consider myself to moving backwards about twenty steps if I were to get one now.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I have a Briot Alta system and have been very happy with it. I have used a Santinelli 9000 extensively and consider myself to moving backwards about twenty steps if I were to get one now.
    I'll look into the Briots, I heard rough things about them a few years ago. One day I will get another edger but for the money (around 14k and quality of work ) I am hesitant to jump to anothet edger unless it drills and does seriously great work, with little to no problems.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Global Optical Lens Edger Market 2017 .................................

Global Optical Lens Edger Market 2017- Essilor Instruments, Topcon Corporation, Huvitz Co ltd and MEI

POSTED BY: SUMANA OZA

The industry study on global Optical Lens Edgermarket provides comprehensive review of ongoing market trends, drivers,opportunities, challenges and issues, latest news and events including OpticalLens Edger strategic corporate developments and Optical Lens Edger productinnovations. Overall assessments

Global Optical Lens Edger Market analyzedthe Industry region, including the product price, profit, capacity, production,capacity utilization, supply, demand and Optical Lens Edger industry growthrate etc. Furthermore, Optical Lens Edger report features tables and figuresthat render a clear perspective of the Optical Lens Edger industry. In the end,the Optical Lens Edger market report introduced investment feasibilityanalysis, and investment return analysis to 2022.

To view complete report details including the full table of contents (TOC) enquire here: http://emarketresearch.us/global-opt...-Before-Buying

The fastest and slowest growing Optical Lens Edger market segments are covered in this report. The key emerging opportunities of the fastest growing Optical Lens Edger market segments are also coved in this report. Each segments and sub-segments Optical Lens Edger market size, share, and forecast are available in this report. Additionally, the region-wise segmentation and the trends driving the leading geographical region and the emerging region has been presented in Optical Lens Edger report.

See all of it:
    https://dailyhover.com/global-optica...t-2017-essilor

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    One more question- Would you feel like you were taking 20 steps backwards because the actual CNC software technology in your machine is better or 20 steps backwards because of touchscreen/onscreen lens imaging? I regularly horrified by the finish work done by 60grand edgers in my city, let alone wholesale lab autobot edging.

Is it that you feel safer letting newbies work on it? Is it the bells and whistles onscreen wise? Is it shelf bevel / micro bevel capabilities?

Please anyone answer these questions because for the money in a high end shop that sends out drills and wraps I can't see why I would create better product. Convince me puhlease!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We use the Weco E.6, a rebranded Briot with great success. I'm not sure what the Briot equivalent is. There are pros and cons to this edger, however.

I love the fact that it process step bevels, as we produce quite a few sport goggles and suns. Though the goggles have RX ranges plainly stamped on the demos, it is not unusual for us to produce -10s or +8s in them. The step bevel function clearly saves a lot of headaches glazing these. The step is also our go-to for polarized suns. The combination of the scale-able bevel positioning and the step allows us to securely fit lenses in many of today's popular sun frames. That said, the step for high wraps is not so good.
    Another great feature is the various bevel style parameters, from square bevels to mixed bevels. These functions save time by avoiding hand shaping/beveling, and allows us to keep more in-house, instead of farming the jobs to another lab.
    Accuracy is outstanding and does not lose sizing/axis once set.
    The super hydro setting saves quite a few breakages, too.

Cons - it is not very maintenance friendly and produces quite a few leaks if the drain slots are not constantly monitored. The left side is quite easy to get to, but the right side is located in very tight quarters. In order to get to them, the entire cover assembly needs to be removed. I wish they would have designed it with a swinging cover, instead of a fixed cover. We have basically left the covers off at this time due to the leaks. The shaft seal is quite finicky and difficult to replace.
    In super-hydro mode, the edger slows quite a bit, combine that with specialty beveling, and you can take a water break while waiting for lens 1 to finish edging.
    The drill and Chemistrie function is highly accurate, but as we do not store this information on our LMS, we need to manually enter the data for each drill/Chemistrie, which can be a pain. There is no internal database, nor SD card to save the data to. Another wish list item.

We have just received the MEI EZFit and the tech will be out later this month to install it. The QM-X3 will also ship to us soon, adding more in-house options for us. You can ask me in a several months if the investment was worth it.....

To answer your question TB, for a small to mid-size volume lab, I do believe that it is worth investing in higher end end, multipurpose edgers. For in-house edging, you would need to look at your mix of specialty edging vs standard edging percentages and associated fees. $40K-$80K per edger may not give you a good enough ROI, but perhaps, being able to control the quality and reducing TAT by performing specialty edging in house may make up for it.

Many of the specialty functions may not be newbie friendly, but once mastered, does save a lot of handwork. It all comes down to this, a tool is only as good as the one that uses it.

Another thing to consider, today's advanced edgers shape accuracy are not very forgiving to poor quality traces, so in addition to updating your edgers, it would be a very wise decision to update your tracers, as well.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We have a mei edger here at our lab, one really nice feature of it is being able to "tweak" a shape by adding or removing or moving an individual tracer points or group of points within the shape. Very useful for a traced shape that is close but not perfect.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks plausible and lensman, you guys both bring up great points. I will upgrade at some point, just waiting for costs to come down a bit.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had brio weco my o my the company director in Toronto had a worst attitude when I had lots of problem with the machine the 1st year. Then I took an oath that I rather cut the lenses with hand which my great grand father used to cut by hands and pliers but never ever weco. Weco here I goooo.

Occupation
    Like the Lens Stock question I saw on here a few weeks ago, you really just have to determine the volume and overall needs for your business and go from there.

Hand edging & pliers is super optical OG ... I like that.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    That Semi Rimless Groove machine on the left tho....

I worked at an office that had one of those and it was such a pain in the *** on super thin lens.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Thread Information