Thread: Licensing: Another kick in the pants .... argh!

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

Redhot Jumper Licensing: Another kick in the pants .... argh!

Just need to "vent" -- and I don't know if I should laugh or cry!

Our shop was in need of some plumbing repairs. So, the manager calls up the company we are contracted with & the verdict is: WE NEED A NEW TOILET IN THE MEN'S ROOM

So, the manager gives the go ahead to install a new one - the plumber replys "oh, I'm from Washington & I can't do that -- you'll have to get a plumber who is certified & registered to install the toilet by the State of Oregon!"

Criminy! I could figure out how to install the freakin' toilet!!!

WTF? No, of COURSE opticians don't need licensing....naaaahhh now installing TOILETS, there's a real intricate procedure.

:angry:

Thanks - I almost feel better

Karen (from another unlicensed state...)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now you know why ....

the national chains are against licensing. Because it is not easy to move their people across state lines.

Secondly, One should even ask the question of why licensing after reading Jeff's recent post under the "Exam Fees" theread.
    Why would we want to restrict ourselves like that?

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A few months ago my landlord had a licensed plummer in to fix our tiolet. Good thing he was licensed, it only took him 2 tries to put a new one in and get it sealed right. I know there are good and bad in every profession, but sometimes I just don't get it.

Suzy

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    I guess it is just frustrating to hear how a person has to prove they are qualified to install a toilet....but we don't have to prove we know jack about optics in this state....

Karen

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, the last time I went though Alabama, they had billboards up stating that it was a felony to fail to use a licensed plumber. Made it pretty clear that do-it-yourself was not allowed. They must have some very powerfull unions in ALA.

Chip

Bad address email on file dfisher's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is just a political issue. Before chain stores began to proliferate, ODs did not want to recognize opticians in many states. They felt that licensure would give them professional recognition and they did not want that.

After the chains, the chains lobbyed against licensure because of higher salary (of course their argument was that licensure would cause the consumer to pay higher prices).

As has been stated many times, the person who cuts your hair has to attend a formal training program and be licensed in every state as far as I know. Not requiring the same of opticians is rediculous. Licensure requires intelligent legislation, an oxymoron like "military intelligence". Rather than intelligence, legialators rely on political contributions to guide their decisions.

Thread Information