Thread: What's the Weirdest Thing That's Happened in Your Clinic?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What's the Weirdest Thing That's Happened in Your Clinic?

A few years back, I worked in a big box store. Our manager was struggling because our PoS wouldn't ever match up, no matter how much she monitored it. One day, a patient came in to warranty something, and when I pulled their file, their purchase had been refunded. I queried them, saying that their purchase as refunded, they showed me the glasses and said they had not refunded them. Over time, we came across more and more of these refunded purchases, with no explanation.

I came in one morning, bantered with the lab techs, and was finishing some paperwork when the CEO of the company just came on in through the door, tailed by three police officers. They went straight to the back, wrestled one our techs down, and hauled her out into the cruiser. Our CEO started writing down the incident report, and we learned that:

- This had gone on for 6 months
    - This wasn't caught until police went through security footage of nights at around 3 - 4am
    - The tech had been refunding money on to visa/mastercard gift cards given to her by friends
    - The tech had stolen a key to the store, and had figured out the managers security system unlock code
    - The tech had stolen over the course of 6 months - over $10,000.00
    - The CEO wasn't going to press charges - provided she paid back the stolen funds over a maximum 6 month period (nice guy)

That was the weirdest day I've had in this business. I used to hang out and go for smoke breaks and banter with this coworker!

Moral of the story - no matter how careful you are, eventually your crime will be found out!
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post
    A few years back, I worked in a big box store. Our manager was struggling because our PoS wouldn't ever match up, no matter how much she monitored it. One day, a patient came in to warranty something, and when I pulled their file, their purchase had been refunded. I queried them, saying that their purchase as refunded, they showed me the glasses and said they had not refunded them. Over time, we came across more and more of these refunded purchases, with no explanation.

I came in one morning, bantered with the lab techs, and was finishing some paperwork when the CEO of the company just came on in through the door, tailed by three police officers. They went straight to the back, wrestled one our techs down, and hauled her out into the cruiser. Our CEO started writing down the incident report, and we learned that:

- This wasn't caught until police went through security footage of nights at around 3 - 4am
    - The tech had been refunding money on to visa/mastercard gift cards given to her by friends
    - The tech had stolen a key to the store, and had figured out the managers security system unlock code
    - The CEO wasn't going to press charges - provided she paid back the stolen funds over a maximum 6 month period (nice guy)

That was the weirdest day I've had in this business. I used to hang out and go for smoke breaks and banter with this coworker!

Moral of the story - no matter how careful you are, eventually your crime will be found out!
    Unfortunately, this is not unusual.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Unfortunately, this is not unusual.
    No kidding! I thought for sure this was a place I worked at in the past. The amount was the same and the method was the same. But I've never been to Canada.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately, we never know how many people get away with stealing from their workplace because they are never caught. I think they should have prosecuted.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It is known the world over that people are tempted to take when they can.

If you want to prevent it you have to take the proper measurements, but that can give you the reputation of being a real *El Chepau*

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post

When I worked for one of the engraving gifts stores in the mall, had a similar situation.
    Walked in to work and my coworker was being led out in handcuffs.
    Come to find out she had been refunding customers purchases, not on the customer's card, but on her own credit cards to pay off her credit card debt.
    Before that incident, she was just the typical quiet and friendly coworker every job has and never would suspect of doing something wrong.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last place I worked at I was the replacement for an optician who was fired. He was apparently ordering multiple pairs of glasses for himself at n/c (among other things). The way he was caught was that the invoices were found with funny names. One of which was Chuck Norris. He also had a high Rx (-9.00 ish) so with the names and all matching rxs, it was easy for the management to catch him. Apparently he had some naughty stuff on the computer too. Yup... police were involved. When I started they had all sorts of security cameras set up and there was a lot of talk about lawyers, court hearings etc. People. Thy're the worst.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Would prefer this thread went in a more entertaining direction---- So....

On answering machine in AM was a regualr patient wanting to know what to do because "she and her boyfriend were having sex and she got some excitement in her eye"

Hung up before leaving number, but I recognized the voice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The weirdest?

Probably the dude who had a psychotic episode during his exam, whipped it out, and whizzed ALL over the exam room carpet.

No - it wasn't Fezz. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    The weirdest?

Probably the dude who had a psychotic episode during his exam, whipped it out, and whizzed ALL over the exam room carpet.

No - it wasn't Fezz. ;)
    I've never been blessed, or rather cursed with that kind of office excitement. Only bodily fluid a patient ever chucked up in our office was vomit, because we were cutting 1.74 in the back. The slightly off garlic smell set her off and she just sorta vomited in our waiting room.

I didnt know there was so much dishonesty going on with the stealing and stuff! It's the kind of thing that never crosses my mind, This thread definitely took a dark turn for a sec there!
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=McAnerin;540090
    I didnt know there was so much dishonesty going on with the stealing and stuff! It's the kind of thing that never crosses my mind, This thread definitely took a dark turn for a sec there![/QUOTE]

Stuff I've never thought of! We had an office that enacted a rule that employees could only get 2 pair of plano suns a year. This was because someone was buying plano suns at cost and then selling them at a reduced price online. Ugh People suck. We also had a special situation where a rep supplied everyone with a free frame (Free office styling). I thought it was great! Had lenses made up and everything. Then people started trying to sell their frame on ebay. So... from then on the employees were not allowed to get free frames from reps. Jerks ruin everything.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tuesday a guy in nothing but a pink thing came in, four cigarette butts in his mouth asking for a light....

Robert, you missed it!

Thread Information