Thread: Florida Hurrican Irma

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Unhappy Florida Hurrican Irma

To all fellow OB'ers down in FLA, us Canucks to the North wish you all the best during this challenging time. Stay safe!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I second this sentiment. Your life is not a stock lens, its worth much more. Prayers.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper In the last hurricane of 2005, my own Winter place got the Garage destroyed .........

Sitting here in Canada we are following the live coverage on Fox News Radio at http://streema.com/radios/play/1764 twenty four hours a day.

As I still own some properties in a Naples Golf community this is of major interest to me like many others that live there, and have to go through the trauma of having to go to some shelter and wait out if their home will be totally flooded or destroyed by the wind.

In the last hurricane of 2005, my own Winter place got the Garage totally destroyed and took until May 2006, a full six month, to be rebuilt.

So I experienced all frustrations to the fullest, it takes to get and find a contractor to make the repairs and rebuild to the latest regulations to make it hurricane save, as they said at the time. We will find out today or tomorrow or in a week when the next hurricane has passed.

Today with the high tides being at their highest in the month there will also be plenty of flooding, and total disaster if you don't live on higher ground.

Occupation
    We live in Newberry, Florida just west of Gainesville and are awaiting the arrival of Irma. Our children, grandchildren and great grandchild will be spending a few days (weeks or months) with us as their homes in Napes and Marco Island will probably be under 40 feet of water tonight. An impromptu family reunion.

Here in north central Florida, at 150' above sea level, we ain't sweating no stinkin storm surge just lotsa wind and rain.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Best of luck to you Dick and Chris. You are in our thoughts.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post

Best of luck to you Dick and Chris. You are in our thoughts.
    Thank you lensmanmd ......................

I have not heard any word about the damage in our community, and probably will not until all the roads have been cleared. I have learned all about it the last time, 12 years ago.

We are a couple of miles inland and 10 to 20 feet higher than sea level, plus the houses are a few feet above street level, so I think I have not to worry about flooding, but more about wind damage.

We learned the last time not to rush there as the streets and roads ar full of major debris and it takes at least 2 weeks to clear them all,

Thread Information