Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold AR? Are there any Gold Anti-reflections left?

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Quantum has a near colorless AR they call the Natural. It is only good with thermal cured hard coats, but a Quantum lab should be able to process these. I have a few test samples from ours that are spun coat and they do look good. Can't wait to get my hands on a dip coating system so that I can process them.
    You don't HAVE to have a dip coating system to process a Natural AR. There is generally a slight index mismatch from lens vendor applied dip hard coatings and any spin hard coating applied to the back surface. Due to the shape of the wave for any clear AR, this mismatch can be problematic on achieving an exact match once the AR is applied. It is hardly noticeable. I ran a lab that processed it for years.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I'm going to play my "I'm a professional actor and screen acting teacher" card here. Trust me, the gold looks more neutral than a bright green or blue residual.
    I have been trying to get the movie industry to use Natural or Clear AR's for years. It drives me crazy when I am watching a film that is specific to a time period when AR coatings had yet to be developed for ophthalmics and all you can see is a GREEN reflection off the front of the lens.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I hear you. I have had consistently good results with the Natural on Poly, but inconsistent results on other materials. I would rather wait for our dip coater before releasing this as an option.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    I hear you. I have had consistently good results with the Natural on Poly, but inconsistent results on other materials. I would rather wait for our dip coater before releasing this as an option.

It should actually look best on CR-39. The index of refraction on most lens vendor applied HC's on Poly and CR-39 is 1.50 index....the same as most backside spin HC. There is little to know difference in the index match between HC's. Poly tends to always show a bit of birefringence (optical mismatch of index between material and HC) and is more noticeable the flatter the wave (Natural).

If you don't mind me asking, what lab are you affiliated with?

Thread Information