Thread: A gradient-index liquid crystal lens with a tunable focal length invented

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A gradient-index liquid crystal lens with a tunable focal length invented

A long time ago someone posted a thread regarding research by
    optical scientists at the University of Arizona working under an agreement with The Egg Factory to develop lenses that actively focus.

I guess I missed the news article but it has been done. UCF professor Shin-Tson Wu has invented a gradient-index liquid crystal lens with a tunable focal length.I can't imagine what lenses like these would cost if they ever went to market.

I wonder what you folks think about the idea now that the technology is getting closer. I only see one thing wrong with these lenses. Because they are tunable, eyeglass wearers will have to replace their lenses less often. I don't see this as a con because of a loss in lens sales but in terms of eye health. Patients who see better longer may not get regularly scheduled eye exams.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo,

I didn't read the article you attatched (too lazy), but I did read one last year that said lenses such as these would cost around $8. They were invented to help folks in 3rd world countries. I saw a picture of them, and they appeared to be quite bulky, but I'm sure that could be changed before too long.

John

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns,

These aren't the bubble lenses but LCD lenses similar to the screens used in Game Boy screens.

If that is what you meant, I am surprised they would be so inexpensive.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've dreamed of such technology for years. This is the ultimate variable focus lens, no ergonomic or field-of-view difficulties. Furthermore, I suspect that a gradient variable-index material could be manipulated to reduce or eliminate unwanted lens distortions in ways not possible with static materials. People will still prefer contact lenses and surgery for cosmetic and functional reasons, but optically, this could the best correction available yet. The link to the last article was broken, here is a new link:

http://www.photonics.com/spectra/res...73/QX/read.htm

reportedly at the time, the design could not support a short enough focal length. Anyone have any updates?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Tried the link, it doesn't work.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I read an article about 35 years ago about a lens being developed in Japan that changed index with electrical stimulation (battery and dial in temple was proposed at the time for presbyopia) . Could never find anything else on this since or anyone who had read of same. I figured it didn't work and was abandoned as many Popular Science stuff does.

Now if this is re-emerging think about it. It could be made into a IOL with an automatic sensor for focus change. We may be obsolete sooner than we think.

Chip

Thread Information