Thread: Eclipse Aftermath

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Eclipse Aftermath

I had a patient walk in and make an appointment today, he said he believes the sun may have caused damage to his eyes. We could not see him today & recommended he go to his MD, he said he just left urgent care for the same reason and they told him nothing was wrong with his eyes or his health. He also claims the sun/eclipse gave him vertigo.

We are seeing him tomorrow. Should be lovely.

Anyone else get any eclipse aftermath patients?
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had a call about 20 minutes after totality. Patient was in Atlanta and freaking out. Since she was 2 1/2 hours away we referred her to a practice down there.

I think my favorite story thus far has been from Opticians on Facebook. Some dope watched the whole thing through a cheese grater. The Optician posted that the lady was in their office, weeping in a corner, waiting to be seen by the Dr. SMDH.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Four calls to my wife's hospitals Ophthalmology receptionists before closing Monday. She was out yesterday.

FWIW- I'll bet at least half are nothing more than paranoia or co-incidental problems. But all the same something about a few dollar "safe" filter...

Did you know they supposedly lose their effectiveness after 3 years max?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Four calls to my wife's hospitals Ophthalmology receptionists before closing Monday. She was out yesterday.

FWIW- I'll bet at least half are nothing more than paranoia or co-incidental problems. But all the same something about a few dollar "safe" filter...

Did you know they supposedly lose their effectiveness after 3 years max?
    Are you saying that the glasses lose their effectiveness after 3 years? I am starting a campaign to recycle eclipse glasses to send to the next country in line for the show. I would like to find out more about that.

Occupation
    So just an update, the patient came in and our most likely assumption since there was no damage to his eyes is...... He just wanted to show off his eclipse pictures he took that day to the OD.

As for the vertigo, we did remind him that looking upwards at an object for a long period of time can cause vertigo-like symptoms and that we are not MD's, and this is just an assumption based on common sense.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000313

Who knows if he has been harmed by the eclipse, but the irony is still worth the read due to his bragging.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Adaptive optics reveals woman who suffered permanent eye damage from viewing the solar eclipse with fake or low quality Eclipse glasses has solar retinopathy, with a microscopic-sized crescent shaped area of damage "burned" into her retina. Doctors are describing it as a projection of the crescent of brightness when the eclipse was approaching totality in her viewing area and the sun was almost totally eclipsed, appearing as a bright crescent in the sky. Woman's vision is degraded with what she perceives as a crescent-shaped dark spot in the center of her field of vision.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/health...udy/index.html

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Adaptive optics reveals woman who suffered permanent eye damage from viewing the solar eclipse with fake or low quality Eclipse glasses has solar retinopathy, with a microscopic-sized crescent shaped area of damage "burned" into her retina. Doctors are describing it as a projection of the crescent of brightness when the eclipse was approaching totality in her viewing area and the sun was almost totally eclipsed, appearing as a bright crescent in the sky. Woman's vision is degraded with what she perceives as a crescent-shaped dark spot in the center of her field of vision.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/health...udy/index.html

Wow, that is a shame. I wonder how many others fell prey to fake solar glasses? It must be so disheartening that simply trying to view a fantastical event has practically ruined her vision. At 26, I guess most would chalk this up to a 'life lesson.'
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information