Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoya Job Delays

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Hoya Job Delays

As an affiliate sub business of a very large OD practice, we order from a lot of volume from a lot of various lens manufacturers. We have run into some major delay issues with Hoya lately. Our jobs that used to arrive in just a few days is now taking up to 20 days. Has anyone else out there experienced the same thing?

I heard they recently lost a very large contract with a buying group. Shouldn't that speed up our delivery times since their volume has decreased?

We are becoming very frustrated to say the least.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya has a few labs in Canada, we find that the Calgary, AB location is able to still turn around lenses in 3 - 5 days. Our office uses almost exclusively Hoya, so it'd be a nightmare if we couldn't get product. I'd say call the Calgary office, they're pretty quick.
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post
    Hoya has a few labs in Canada, we find that the Calgary, AB location is able to still turn around lenses in 3 - 5 days. Our office uses almost exclusively Hoya, so it'd be a nightmare if we couldn't get product. I'd say call the Calgary office, they're pretty quick.
    We definitely don't experience that service. Every time we call in, we are told "its coming from our sister lab" which we found out is in Thailand.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love the Hoya iD Lifestyle but yes, availability and wait times are an issue. I still use it but I have to think carefully about who to give it to; if the patient isn't very comfortable with a potentially longer wait time, I choose a similar lens from a different brand instead.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    20 days does not sound out of the ordinary from H(old on tightly) O(r you might fall off the wagon) Y(et) A(gain)

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    20 days does not sound out of the ordinary from H(old on tightly) O(r you might fall off the wagon) Y(et) A(gain)
    Bwahaha! So incredibly appropriate. If we ever got anything within 5 days we would assume Hoya was under new management.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper total production capacity is 200 million optical lenses..............................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

We definitely don't experience that service. Every time we call in, we are told "its coming from our sister lab" which we found out is in Thailand.

Whether you buy your new glasses in Thailand and elsewhere, there is a fair chance that the optical lesses you wear, have been manufactured in Thailand. Thailand produces more than 20 % of the close to a billion optical lenses made each year. Besides local independent manufacturers, many foreign countries have factories located in Thailand. These include : Hoya Lens (Japan), Essilor Manufacturing (France), Rodenstock (Germany), Solarlens (Italy), Indo (Spain) and Transitions (U.S.A.). Local total production capacity is 200 million optical lenses.

A known local enterprise is Thai Optical Group, which produces optical lenses under its own brand names, and as an original-equipment-manufacturere (OEM) for other companies and brands. Thai Optical Group has an annual capacity at present of 27 million lenses.

Most of the raw material needed to produce optical lenses, has to be imported into the country, and has to be transported in refrigerated containers. The larger orders the country generates, creates lower costs per unit of production.

source:
    http://www.thaiwebsites.com/opticallenses.asp

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    So it seems to be a US issue also? How does a lens take 20 days to arrive? Sure their product is decent, but not worth waiting that long for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So it seems to be a US issue also? How does a lens take 20 days to arrive? Sure their product is decent, but not worth waiting that long for.
    Not worth it for me either. Especially when I get get lenses turned in 48 hours from US Optical. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    We have run into some major delay issues with Hoya lately. Our jobs that used to arrive in just a few days is now taking up to 20 days. Has anyone else out there experienced the same thing?

We are becoming very frustrated to say the least.
    Find another lab!

Occupation

Blue Jumper Find another lab! ..................................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

Find another lab!

It is probably not the labs overseas, they are mostly equipped with the latest in machinery and instruments.

It is the transport system they are using. I have been shipping materials to many of them on their own accounts like UPS/Fedex/DHL and been totally surprised how much faster they are getting their deliveries as when we ship orders our conventional way by regular airfreight.

It must be a matter of arrangement and volume they can guarantee the transporter.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No delay problems over here in North Vancouver, BC.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper No delay problems over here in North Vancouver, BC.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post

No delay problems over here in North Vancouver, BC.

That is because Vancouver in BC is now totally deregulated and competition must be fierce.

So fast and good delivery must be important for competition.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    That is because Vancouver in BC is now totally deregulated and competition must be fierce.

So fast and good delivery must be important for competition.
    Sent a redo through recently to Hoya....is now 14 days and counting....the same job that took 20 days originally to arrive.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That sounds like par for the course.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    That sounds like par for the course.
    Brutal service IMHO.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Centralized big labs in low personal income countries ..........................

This is simply consolidation of optical greed by your major manufacturers.

They have trained optical retailers to use and sell sophisticated products made on equipment they can not afford, or use in house, by manipulating their advertising directly to the public.

They have continuously made takeovers of most of the big that have been closed and moved to other continents with cheap labour.

If you check brand names of lenses used on different continents, used by large chains and small users you will learn that the same brand quality lenses are sold under dozens of different names and different prices.

The public is being brainwashed by direct publicity to the end user, and the optical retail sector is slowly but surely being deregulated on a worldwide basis.

Centralized big labs in low personal income countries, are now the in thing and will be for the foreseeable future.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    This is simply consolidation of optical greed by your major manufacturers.

They have trained optical retailers to use and sell sophisticated products made on equipment they can not afford, or use in house, by manipulating their advertising directly to the public.

They have continuously made takeovers of most of the big that have been closed and moved to other continents with cheap labour.

If you check brand names of lenses used on different continents, used by large chains and small users you will learn that the same brand quality lenses are sold under dozens of different names and different prices.

The public is being brainwashed by direct publicity to the end user, and the optical retail sector is slowly but surely being deregulated on a worldwide basis.

Centralized big labs in low personal income countries, are now the in thing and will be for the foreseeable future.
    +1.

Occupation

Blue Jumper the manufacturers are preparing to eliminate ...............................

The largest optical manufacturing is concentrated today in Thailand by all larger manufacturers.

It makes sense that that they use that country also for major lab work on a worldwide basis to serve the customers from Europe to America.

It also makes even more sense that the manufacturers are preparing to eliminate the conventional retailer in exchange for online services.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Doesn't sound out of the ordinary for them at all. If you look at some H related threads around here you can read all about my abominable experiences with them, including taking weeks to get low-to-mid SV jobs back, often horribly botched. At least as of 2015, when we stopped dealing with them, their quality control was atrocious and letting through scratched/pitted/out-of-tolerance jobs as well as comically incorrect orders-- we once got a job back that only had Trans on one lens! I've heard horror stories about what exactly their quality control entails-- one FOAF who worked at a lab told me that their quality control teams were wage-slave twenty-somethings working 12 hour shifts with periodic 30 minutes breaks, while another told me that their lab didn't have any quality control at all-- jobs were just bagged up upon completion and shipped off. I'd believe either story, based on the quality of the product we used to get. Reason two thousand I'll never deal with them again.

Occupation

Blue Jumper I'd believe either story, based on the quality of the product .......................

Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post

I'd believe either story, based on the quality of the product we used to get. Reason two thousand I'll never deal with them again.

These places are all run by the major manufacturers who are learning fast.

Better get used to it because the trend is there and there is no stopping it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    These places are all run by the major manufacturers who are learning fast.

Better get used to it because the trend is there and there is no stopping it.
    Chris, on another note...I hope your place in Naples weathers Irma ok and wish you all the best of luck.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Chris, on another note...I hope your place in Naples weathers Irma ok and wish you all the best of luck.

Thanks Lab Insight ........................

The last Hurricane 12 years ago totally destroyed my garage in Naples, and took 7 month, to be reconstructed because of damage everywhere. The metal roof was picked up by a twister, pulled over the house and deposited in the middle of the golf course.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks Lab Insight ........................

The last Hurricane 12 years ago totally destroyed my garage in Naples, and took 7 month, to be reconstructed because of damage everywhere. The metal roof was picked up by a twister, pulled over the house and deposited in the middle of the golf course.

Absolutely scary what mother nature can do in her fury.

Occupation

Absolutely scary what mother nature can do in her fury.

I still have not heard any news on damages. Some local friends wanted to fly down south but it is not yet recommended to travel there. Airports are still closed and roads clogged.

Thread Information