Thread: Totality

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Totality

Huntington Oregon, 8/21/2017
    Sigma 150-600 mm Contemporary (@ 600 mm), Canon 5D MkIII

"Diamond Ring" effect, seconds before full totality.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Nice! Better than mine. I was a fraction of a second too late to get the nice ring effect. This is also a screen shot ant not the actual pic.

IMG_0515.jpg

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excellent Steve! I didn't get my exposures quite right and ended up mostly under exposed on my shots. Then I bumped the focus ring, and obliterated about 2/3rds of my shots during totality. But a few of them came through OK. They are insanely difficult to post process well I'm finding. MUCH harder than Milky Way images! The dynamic range of the corona is just nuts! I couldn't believe how BIG it was to the naked eye!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nicely done, gentlemen!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Excellent Steve! I didn't get my exposures quite right and ended up mostly under exposed on my shots. Then I bumped the focus ring, and obliterated about 2/3rds of my shots during totality. But a few of them came through OK. They are insanely difficult to post process well I'm finding. MUCH harder than Milky Way images! The dynamic range of the corona is just nuts! I couldn't believe how BIG it was to the naked eye!
    Thanks. I kept adjusting the shutter speed during totality as a way of bracketing the exposure to get the full corona. When I get home I'll to stack the pictures and hopefully be able to create something showing the full tonal range.

The problem with this this and the fact that my wife had a problem with her camera that I had to fix is that I did no take the time to fully appreciate the experience. But I did look a the sun during totality and it was like something out of a sci-fi movie. I half expected to see alien spaceships pouring out of the blackness.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Thanks. I kept adjusting the shutter speed during totality as a way of bracketing the exposure to get the full corona. When I get home I'll to stack the pictures and hopefully be able to create something showing the full tonal range.

The problem with this this and the fact that my wife had a problem with her camera that I had to fix is that I did no take the time to fully appreciate the experience. But I did look a the sun during totality and it was like something out of a sci-fi movie. I half expected to see alien spaceships pouring out of the blackness.
    I gave myself about one minute to do whatever I could do with my telescope and cameras, then just sat down to watch. I was going to post some pictures, but dang, son, y'all's blow mine away.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awesome photos guys!!!!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was so fast, that I didn't have time to check, (or fix) my own focus problems. I assumed that I would run into problems of some form, as this was my first totality adventure. And my equipment wasn't the greatest all in all. Next time, I think a solid tracking mount is really called for, and more practice with the telephoto. And for heck's sake TAPE DOWN the darn focus ring! :)

I'm finding the most difficult aspect of these shots is the post processing and editing. With the extreme difference in contrast and brightness, getting all the detail and extent of the corona to look right in an image compared to what the eye actually sees is almost impossible. Still, it was both amazing to see, and fun to try and photograph.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Well we all appreciate getting to be a part of what you guys can accomplish! I look forward comparing this with what you capture in 2024!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hehehe - we'll see if travel plans, and weather cooperate for round 2!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Found that one of our fellow enthusiasts took a video of the event (and of all of us) in Oregon. We're the bunch next to the orange tent as he pans around, though a bit small and hard to see perhaps. But it's fun showing the entire totality event from start to finish, and watching how and how quickly the light changed.

Total solar eclipse video, Huntington Oregon

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    IMG_1683[1].jpg
    The better pics I got were with my telescope and solar filter. I even got the "string of pearls," but not in focus well enough.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Those are great! I was fighting with focus and wind...and generally loosing. But got a few that were something like those. Was wishing I had just a touch more reach than my 600 mm lens could offer for the first hour of the event. But of course once the moon did its full magic, I was struggling to pull back enough to really capture the enormity of the corona. And messing up my focus even further.

Thread Information