Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rewetting drops maybe a waste of your money!

Bad address email on file GatorGirl's Avatar

Angry rewetting

hello

I did read the whole thing and I guess that's why I felt angry. First we have someone starting a heated nonsense discussion. Then we have professionals who added in and let it continue.

I guess I was upset, because I felt we should have a whole done the right thing and ended it, instead going to the castor oil discussion. the person who started this doesn't deal with this issue everyday. I do and so the whole is a pet peeve.

Maybe I don't get it, but maybe I do, but the fact remains that this subject is posted for all to see and that includes those who aren't professionals and maybe wear contacts and might get the wrong impression.

Stupid me

okie dokie,

first things first... dyip, your an illogical nob head.... just had to get that off my chest... havn't you heard of castor oil?? its in freakin nursery rhymes!!

all the same, re-wetting solutions are thicker in composition than their storage solution cousins.... they have many ingredients that are the same... did you notice that every brand has one ingredient that is the same? these are patented preservatives that keep the intellectual property of the creator safe.

castor oil could well work, but as commented i would think this would affects one's vision slightly, if not their contact lens.... i'll try with some one days

the fda recommends that people stay with the solution that was recommended by the practioner for a reason.. the optom will select the most suitable solution so that you don't have an allergic reaction, coz that is not good, and will also create, through osmosis a lens that you are allergic to.

now as for the rest of you (myself included) you are only encouraging idiots on this system, while this forum was a bit more civil than others.

the crazy stuff that might work on spectacles, doesn't go down as well when implanted in your body.. crazy thought that....

dentists charge what they do becasue of acces issues.. apparantly, we have easy access... there are two eyes, but they are the only ones available, and once they are gone, they are gone, teeth we have dentures for... sure they arn't real, but funnily enough dentures have a similar care schedule to that of conventional contact lenses... weird huh? oh yeah they can cost over $AUD5000

dyip, hope that answers your questions, everyone else, i hope that aids your work ....

james

fyi, i refuse to participate in forums with dyip again

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Castor Oil ..........................................

CASTOR OIL: MODERN USES FOR AN OLD FOLK REMEDY

"by Simone Gabbay."

My first encounter with the amazing healing powers of castor oil took place during a business trip to Amsterdam, Holland, nearly 20 years ago. As I got off the plane from Toronto, I felt a sharp pain in my lower back, radiating down into my leg. Whether it was triggered by the long hours of sitting crunched up in an uncomfortable airplane seat or by the heavy suitcase I was carrying, I'll never know. By the time I got to my hotel room, I was in agony, barely able to stand up straight. Even lying down on the bed was painful.

What was I to do? I didn't know anyone in the city, and I was scheduled to attend some important meetings the following day. The staff at the hotel reception desk couldn't tell me how to locate a chiropractor. I wasn't interested in going to a doctor for a prescription painkiller or muscle-relaxant. I remembered that "Sleeping Prophet" Edgar Cayce had often suggested castor oil packs for various aches and pains, and I remembered having read of this remedy's effectiveness in cases of sciatica.

I managed to take a cab to a nearby drugstore, where I purchased a bottle of castor oil. No doubt the pharmacist thought that I was bent over because of constipation!

Back at the hotel, I soaked a towel in the oil and wrapped it around my lower back. In a proper castor oil pack, a cloth of wool or cotton flannel is folded in several layers, then saturated with warm castor oil, and placed on the affected area. But I had to make do with a hotel towel and room-temperature oil. I also didn't have access to a heating pad or hot water bottle to add the prescribed warmth to the pack. The idea is that heat allows the oil to penetrate the skin and work its way deep into the tissues. I figured that the heat generated by my body would have to do. Finally, I cut open some plastic bags and spread them on the bed before lying down, to avoid getting oil on the sheets.

Tired from the overnight flight, and exhausted from the pain, I drifted off into a deep sleep. When I woke up a few hours later, I was drowsy with jet-lag, but the pain was gone! It had completely disappeared, and I was able to sit, stand, and walk normally. An impressive result for a clumsy first attempt with makeshift tools!

Since that time, I have witnessed the powerful healing force contained in castor oil on numerous occasions. My family and I have successfully used castor oil packs and rubs for various kinds of abdominal complaints, headaches, inflammatory conditions, muscle pains, skin eruptions and lesions. Castor oil is a staple item in our medicine cabinet at home, and whenever we travel, we pack a small bottle of castor oil.

The Palma Christi

Castor oil is extracted from the seed of the castor oil plant, whose botanical name is ricinus communis. While it was Cayce who brought castor oil packs to fame in the 20th century, the oil has a long and varied history of use as a healing agent in folk medicine around the world. According to a research report in a recent issue of the Journal of Naturopathic Medicine, castor bean seeds, believed to be 4,000 years old, have been found in Egyptian tombs, and historical records reveal the medicinal use of castor oil in Egypt (for eye irritations), India, China (for induction of childbirth and expulsion of the placenta), Persia (for epilepsy), Africa, Greece, Rome, Southern Europe, and the Americas. In ancient Rome, the castor oil plant was known as Palma Christi, which translates into hand of Christ. This name is still sometimes used today.

A book about the Vermont style of folk medicine by D.C. Jarvis published in 1958 lists numerous conditions which respond well to the topical application of castor oil, including irritation of the conjunctiva of the eye; to promote healing of the umbilicus in a newborn; and to increase milk flow in lactating women when applied to the breasts. As a nursing mom, I can attest to the effectiveness of castor oil applied to sore, irritated, or inflamed nipples. It works faster than any commercial salve, and I don't have to worry about washing it off before the next nursing. Any trace of the oil that my son may get in his mouth is definitely not going to harm him!

No one could claim more experience with the clinical application of castor oil than Dr. William A. McGarey, Chairman of the Board of the A.R.E. Clinic in Phoenix, Arizona. In the course of his medical career spanning over several decades, Dr. McGarey has published numerous articles and books covering treatments with various Cayce remedies. In his recently revised and updated book about castor oil, entitled The Oil That Heals, Dr. McGarey recounts being told a story in 1965 by a man who, some years earlier, had travelled to a Virginia mountain town to visit his sister. This man "had developed an intensely inflamed finger." writes Dr. McGarey. "A local physician advised him to go to a larger city to have a surgeon work on it. He was about to leave at once, for the finger was very painful, when his sister influenced him to show the finger to 'Aunt Minnie', who lived up the hills and who was a midwife. As soon as she saw it, she told him to wrap a flannel cloth soaked in castor oil around the finger and leave it there. He followed her advice and direction, and by morning most of the inflammation and all of the soreness were gone. By the morning of the second day, all the swelling and inflammation had gone, and a grain of sand (acquired while he was bathing on the seashore one week earlier) was discovered under the edge of the fingernail. This came out with the castor oil bandage, and the finger was healed."

You can see the whole bit on Castor Oil at:
    http://http://www.annieappleseedproj...oroiluses.html

Chip
    I see you are right. it's good for conjunctivities which would fit the outer eye problem.

It was there before the FDA
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 05-13-2003 at 01:20 PM.

I thought that this is just another forgotten thread, so I didn’t even border to defend some distorted/misunderstood views from some posters responded to this thread until now.

GatorGirl,

You said,
    I have people tell me yes after putting in the manufactor's rewetting drops their eyes feel better, but not msp and definitely not saline and that might be because it feels better.
    As I said in the beginning of the thread,
    If you are a CL user, you should know that it is perfectly safe to apply either the saline solution or the MPS directly to your eyes because either of these solutions is the first thing that your eyes touch every time you insert your CLs into your eyes.
    Just for the record, I rinse my CLs with Alcon Express No Rub MPS before inserting the lenses into my eyes. The Alcon MPS gives me a very long lasting comfort. I don’t even need to carry the MPS around during the day. As of today, I haven’t spent a dime on any rewetting drops because there is simply no need, and my own natural tears really do wonder whenever I need them. As I pointed out in the beginning, the MPSs are actually healthier than rewetting drops. Just look at the ingredients carefully.

When you said,
    No one in their right mind would recommend to a patient to carry saline or mps in their purse or pocket.
    I take this as a packaging issue, not a health issue, right?

You also said,
    I want patient's to use rewetting drops because if they don't and are already overwearing their contacts, it will only get worse.
    How can any rewetting drops in the market be better than one’s own natural tear?

As I said earlier,
    If you have tried everything(different solutions, different brands and different fits of soft CL, RGP, etc…), and you still need the rewetting drop frequently, stop wearing CL. Don’t let your eyes suffer.
    I think that if the patient has dry eyes, he/she is just not good candidate for CL unless he/she has high tolerance of discomfort.

You said later ,
    First we have someone starting a heated nonsense discussion.
    This is a very long thread with many opinions from many postors, and you need to be specific about what you meant by ‘nonsense discussion’.

Jimbob,

You said,
    first things first... dyip, your an illogical nob head.... just had to get that off my chest... havn't you heard of castor oil?? its in freakin nursery rhymes!!
    What did I do to make you so upset? What make you think that I am an ‘illogical nob head’?

I guess that my diet has been good for most of my life, and I do not recall having any serious constipation problem that required laxative like Castor oil. So I have never heard of Castor oil until Chip introduced it to me in this thread.

Again, as a CL wearer, I will never use Castor oil for eye comfort no matter how safe the ‘damn’ thing is. Once I apply the oil to my eyes, there is no guarantee that there is no trace of oil residue left on the surface of the eyeballs the next time I insert the CLs. The oil residue will affect not only the vision, but it will also act as an insulated layer between the eyeballs and the lens for the much needed oxygen exchange. With the oil residue in between, my favorite Alcon No Rub MPS will not longer cushion between my eyeballs and the CLs and provide me the utmost wear comfort. I can imagine that the oil residue will also interrupt the tear flow between the eyeballs and the CLs. How well will the CLs attach to the eyeballs is really questionable with the oil in between. With all the complications that I mentioned above, how comfortable will I feel with the oily CLs sitting on my eyes? Most importantly, the oil molecules may attach on the surface or migrate into the lenses and render the lenses useless. The oil may temporarily relief the dry eyes, but all the side effects associating with CL are just too much. What a price to pay for a little comfort! If you wear CL, you should really try the oil soon and let us know how you feel with the CLs on your eyes after using the oil..

You said,
    now as for the rest of you (myself included) you are only encouraging idiots on this system…
    Do you really think I am one of the idiots? Do you want to guess what my IQ is?

About your dentist remark, I think you were referring to something I said earlier,
    Your dentist would love to check your teeth every 3 months. Just go and ask. BTW, you have at least 28 teeth (instead of just 2 eyes) that can go wrong at any given time. Don't you think that your dentist's advice make more sense?
    I am not trying to trivialize the importance of the eyes. I would rather lose all my teeth than lose one eye. My point is that it does not need much thinking to figure out that the forever busier dentists always have the upper hand than the ODs. Just like you said, “there are two eyes, but they are the only ones available, and once they are gone, they are gone”. Also, no more money making for the OD’s when the eyes are gone. As you also correctly pointed out, “… funnily enough dentures have a similar care schedule to that of conventional contact lenses... weird huh? oh yeah they can cost over $AUD5000”. In another word, the dentists still continue to collect the money generated regularly by the dentures. More reasons to be a dentist than any of the O’s.

Chris,
    Thumb up for the effort to rescue the reputation of Castor oil. There is no doubt in my mind by now about the Castor oil reputation in its diversified applications. The tips can be helpful someday. However, if you read my comment about the CL complications due to Castor oil residue above, you may not like the idea of using the oil to relief dry eyes as Chip suggested for CL wearer neither.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    God help me for lowering myself to reply to someone who thinks a high I.Q. makes him intelligent again.

But I did not say that Castor Oil provides temporary relief of dry eyes. I said that it eventually Cures the problem in most cases.

Chip

Thumbs down Don’t put words into my mouth

Chip,
    What do you have to ‘lower’ to reply to me, your ego, status, reputation? Even my boss will never have this kind of altitude in front of me or the staff. I just asked someone the question ‘Do you really think I am one of the idiots? Do you want to guess what my IQ is?’. How on earth did that make you think that I thought that I have a high IQ? To me, the dumbest person on earth may have his/her ‘smart’ moment. Don’t underestimate one’s mind.

I said:
    The oil may temporarily relief the dry eyes, but all the side effects associating with CL are just too much. What a price to pay for a little comfort!
    When I said ‘The oil may temporarily relief the dry eyes…’, it was based on my best judgement of your remarks about Castor oil in earlier posts.

Enough said in my earlier posts about Castor oil-dry eyes-CL etc… Won’t you agree that too many potential eye problems may show up before the oil eventually cures the dry eyes?

Post Edited by John R (Mod)
    We will not tolerate the provoking of other members of this board by the use of such comments.
    19-5-03

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Can we get dyip into the big brother house?

I have a copy of that folk medicine book by D.C. Jarvis M.D.
    Chapter 12 deals with Castor and Corn oil.
    it says
    "5. If the eye develops redness and irritation, one drop of castor oil dropped in the eyemakes it more comfortable and relieves irritation."

more importantly,
    "7.Castor oil, applied to the eyelashes at bedtime three times a week, will thicken them and make them grow longer. The same treatment applies to eyebrow growth."

Ladies, what are you waiting for???
    Actually, does anyone know who Liam and Noel Gallagher are? Maybe give the eyebrows a miss.

Dyip, i think you are brilliant. You should make your signature "RESPECT MY AUTHORITY"

So this Castor oil really has some kind of ‘magical’ effects when applied to different body parts as mentioned in previous posts. If eyelashes and eyebrows can be thickened and lengthened by this oil, I am wondering what it can do to the men’s bald spots. For those who are very sensitive about this touchy mid-life crisis issue, I think that it is worth to give this magical oil a trial. At worst, the bald spots will just look shinier from the oily reflection if nothing else happens.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i don't think you should consider them "magical." Remember that most precription drugs are synthesised versions of elements found in nature. I've tried a course of Chinese herbal medicine when a treatment of conventional drugs had failed (for an abcess on my wisdon tooth) and not only did it cure the problem, but every other infection in my body including what had been chronic athelete's foot.
    its only in the last 300 years that medicine as we know it became "conventional" and all else became "alternative," untill then they had gone hand in hand and had enjoyed equal respect. Who's to say that old remedies are worng. They may seem unusal but are born out of a time and place where conventional medicine was not available...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    dyip:

You should be very happy about Castor Oil, it's so CHEAP that the CONSUMER isn't being taken advantage of.
    Or perhaps you don't like it because there is no cause here for you to attach yourself to.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Hey DYIP, what do you think about Wal-Mart?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Castor Oil .................

Dyip,

Besides medical properties, castor oil has hundreds of applications in industry and you would very surprised in how many of them this product is a standard under dozens of different brand names.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Guy's, i didn't mean to stir things up again!

Thread Information