Thread: High redo rates

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

High redo rates

I am very interested in hearing how different eye care professionals deal with high redo rates. I work for Ophthalmologists e 3 highest reasons for redo 1- Rx changes; 2- Patient satisfaction - 3rd scratch warranties. Our patient satisfaction reasons are frame, material, and lens style changes. We do do quite bit of education at the frame selection on material choices and progressive style. Please let me know what you offices handle reo rates.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office has a very low rate of redo's, but I have worked in offices with massive amount of redo's. The biggest cause for this is lack of customer service and lack of customer education. For example, patients are likely to come back for scratch warranties if a sales person consistently totes that they are getting a scratch proof coat. Another reason is when customers don't receive any help with frame selection, they are more likely to change their mind later. Furthermore, I worked in an office that toted a "covers anything!" warranty. We had a lot of redo's as a result of that.

My suggestion is to educate and provide excellent customer service, ensure that every patient receives adjustments on pick up and on every visit. Educate them on the care of their lenses. Make sure they know that scratch resistance is just there to prevent scratches from regular cleaning. If you're selling poly, stop selling poly. Change the prerequisites to be able to redeem a warranty. Make a one exchange/one warranty rule. There are tonnes of things to reduce redo's, but in my experience, getting it right the first time is the way to go.
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Scratch warranties don't bother me, but as the lead optician in a small, private practice, I know that I need to all but eliminate "buyer's remorse" issues. We have a 25% restocking fee associated with frame changes because once something is worn and has left our office, it gets donated because we can't put it up on the board again. We work hard to eliminate frame issues by being very vocal and picky about fit when consulting with a patient. If a patient insists on a poor fit, we do tell them the truth and that we will document their choice in their chart. I find this approach works well with eliminating frame changes for the most part.

As for Drs Rx changes and PAL changes, that's the cost of Opticianry in my mind. I don't often have those struggles but when I do, we are prepared to break even or lose money for patient satisfaction. I think it's inevitable in our line of work. Thankfully these issues aren't a normal every day occurrence.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Thread Information