Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just finished the Abo Avanced test...PASSED!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am happy to report that I passed the ABO Advanced exam during Opticon in Las Vegas this year. I surprised myself by passing because I did it on a whim and it was a couple of decades ago that I passed the ABO. During Opticon, I took the prep track for the test which finished on a Thursday, and then on Friday I registered and took the test at the testing site. The woman told me the results would be emailed to me a few weeks after I completed the test. You can imagine my surprise when "Passed" popped up in the screen after I submitted my answers. It made my day especially since I was unsure of how I did.

Does anyone know the statistics for the passing of the ABO-AC test?

I wish I didn't have to wait 3 years to submit the articles in order to obtain my Masters. I think that will be the route I choose when the time comes.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations Lori. That is awesome. Last statistics I heard were that about 25% of people who take the test pass it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jasons View Post
    Congratulations Lori. That is awesome. Last statistics I heard were that about 25% of people who take the test pass it.

I haven’t hear of this new statistic, it used to be about 5%. Either way, it’s a great accomplishment. Congrats!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sincere congratulations are certainly in order for all of you who worked very hard and passed the voluntary and rigorous ABO-AC exam. You are right to be proud of this achievement, and now I urge you all to work towards your ABO-Master credential.
    Last edited by tmorse; 11-24-2018 at 10:46 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    congratulations guys!!! my question is what's the advantage in passing an ABO Advanced Exam? a Licensed Optician is in demand on the job market and most employers do not care whether the ABO Certification you have is Basic or Advanced; they just care about you having the License. some may want you to have the NCLE Certification as well as some States require you to have the License along with the Contact Lens Certification. I was planning on going for the ABO Advance but i want to know the concrete benefit of having it first. If someone can please break it down for me. i will be thankful.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by onthegrind View Post
    I was planning on going for the ABO Advance but i want to know the concrete benefit of having it first.
    My understanding of the ABO-AC exam is that it encompasses both optical theory and optical formulas. This in turn enables the ‘advanced optician’ to better troubleshoot optical problems that come up from time to time. Further, an advanced credential such as ABO-AC looks very good on your resume and demonstrates initiative... you are someone who voluntarily sat through a difficult competency examination. It shows the type of employee that can immediately add to the bottom line of any optical store.

Plus it makes you feel good about yourself... that you have attained a level of optical expertise in the 90% percentile of dispensing.

Then get your ABOM, and you would fall in the 99% percentile of opticianry competence.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    ^^^Thanks for replying tmorse. What i'm finding with these employers is that it's the license that counts. Having a Basic or Advanced ABO does not seem to have any immediate extrinsic benefit at the moment. If the field of opticianry was more stratified then the different levels of optician would then need different levels of qualification. There an Advanced ABO would have some benefit i think.
    Last edited by onthegrind; 12-18-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    congratulations on passing the ABO-AC!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey there!

I actually just passed the ABO back in February and I have been trying to study for the advanced ABO certification exam and I really cant find study material anywhere online for the advanced exam. I was wondering if the books below were available used anywhere? I couldn't seem to find them myself! The pricing on the books are so very steep and I really just can't afford it right now so I figured it was worth asking! If not I'll just have to save up for them :) Thanks a ton!
    • Advanced Opticians Tutorial (NAO)
    • Optical Formulas Tutorial (NAO)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately the books I used are work owned and I currently have an optician studying them. Kudos on your desire to advance your knowledge!! Would your employer be willing to help with the cost? There are relatively few AC certified opticians in each state. It might be worth it to them to help you achieve this.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know that's something that I'll actually have to ask them! I actually work for Warby Parker so it's definitely a lot different than most optical places I've worked at (Walmart vision, lenscrafters) They paid for my ABO up front which was great so I'm sure they'd be willing to help because so far they seem to be the most helpful optical place I've ever worked for! :)
    Yeah thats a great point, I'm sure they would really love to have AC certified opticians working for the company.
    Thanks for responding so quickly btw, really appreciate it!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Peacebug, I have discovered that you can actually write level three courses instead of articles. I have a level 2 technical and a general knowledge course approved. I can show you what I did for those if you PM me your email. (If you haven't already done something. (I was just looking at this old post for some info and ran across your comments)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, if you join the NAO the savings as a member on those books more than cover the cost of membership.

Thread Information