Thread: Tips on Pricing?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Tips on Pricing?

I've been in this industry a little over six years and been dispensing for about three. I'm at the point now where I'm looking at updating our pricing and I don't know what good standards are. I'm aware of the standard frame markup but I'm not sure what good markup is on lenses, material upgrades or add-ons. If anyone has a good resource for this, or a good standard, I'd love to hear it. You can PM me if you don't feel like it's appropriate for a public post.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.

Or something like that.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some things you will need to consider (You do not have to answer these on here)

What are the demographics of the people coming into your location? Age? Income level? Social Class?

Do you deal with a lot of 3rd party Vision Insurances and if so, which ones are you dealing with?

Do you edge in house or do you have a lab off site do all of your work?

Does the lab you use give you any discounts on volume or second pair orders? Have you looked to see if another facility can give you a better deal?

Are you a higher volume location? Do you see a lot of patients/customers during the day/week/month/year?

Is your office a single location practice? or does it have multiple locations?

What is your competition offering? What kind of pricing are they offering on lenses and glasses in comparison to yours?

In general, there really is not a one size fits all method for lens pricing. Every office and location is different. If you have people walking because your prices are too high, or if the profits you are making on each eyeglass sale is not enough to cover overhead and operating costs, then adjustments need to be looked at.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully any changes you do make work in your favor
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Pricing should be discussed on the private professionals forum

Thread Information