Thread: Horseshoe Bend, Arizona

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Horseshoe Bend, Arizona

As part of our trip up north, Marlena and I made it to the famous Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River. Undoubtedly you've seen many picture of this before and I'm sure mine is very similar to those. Nonetheless this was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

The path to Horseshoe Bend is right off Highway 89 about 4 miles south of Page, AZ. There is a dirt parking lot and from there the trails goes west up a small hill, and I thought myself "that doesn't look so bad." So Marlena and I loaded up our photography gear and water and started the climb. Then at the top of the hill, reality set in. This was only the beginning of the trail. The trail continue about another 1/2 mile and while it was all downhill from there, I knew that I was going to have to trek back up that hill after getting the pictures. Keep in mind that it was about 102 degrees and I was carrying about 30 lbs. of gear. However I didn't know exactly what gear I would need so I decided to carry on with what I had.

If you've never been there, let me describe the scene for you. First of all, it was packed with people - probably 300-400 people all hanging around this huge chasm which hovers about 1000 ft above the Colorado River. There are no guard rails or anything stopping you from falling in. In fact there were so many people right on the edge that I was astounded that I've never heard of anyone falling to their deaths from here. On top of that, there are tons of people, including many children, horsing around near the gorge. It wouldn't take much for someone to trip and bounce into someone else who then falls into someone else and pushing them right over the edge.

It was with all this in mind that I gingerly worked my way to the edge and start taking pictures. So here's one of them. And yes, I was right on the edge.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is amazing, you are very talented Steve!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    That is amazing, you are very talented Steve!
    Thanks.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to live in Gilbert and it's been a very long time since I've been back to AZ. A trip is being discussed and this photo definitely makes me ache to go back! Beautiful photo! Thanks for posting it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Beautiful.
    Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    So I was bragging about the photography skills on here to a co-worker and proceeded to find this gem that had slipped by me completely after some basic profile stalking! This is absolutely breathtaking and standing on a cliff's edge is sooo worth it to capture such beauty. I can only imagine what it must be like to see in person.

I thank the photographers that are good enough to share their shots with us. It adds a little awe into my day :D
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    So I was bragging about the photography skills on here to a co-worker and proceeded to find this gem that had slipped by me completely after some basic profile stalking! This is absolutely breathtaking and standing on a cliff's edge is sooo worth it to capture such beauty. I can only imagine what it must be like to see in person.

I thank the photographers that are good enough to share their shots with us. It adds a little awe into my day :D
    Thanks.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Thread Information